Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Aug 2002, 15:07 (Ref:362111)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2002 ALMS Mosport photos

I've posted 5 pictures I took over the weekend in a "Motorsports Photography" thread in the Trackside forum here. Let me know what you think!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...1&pagenumber=4
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Aug 2002, 15:15 (Ref:362119)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Paul,

Thanks for that. Very good results for a 200-mm! What film did you use? (and how did you keep your camera dry?)

Would not it be better to post the pictures in the sportscar forum? (not a truly important question...)

Cheers,
Old 20 Aug 2002, 15:27 (Ref:362133)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honestly, I didn't really keep the camera dry. It's an old Chinon (nee Pentax) with full metal body, pretty rugged thing. Minimal electronics (meter and AP auto).

I used Kodak Max 400. As my technique gets better, I'll graduate to spending real money on real film, like the stuff kdr uses.

Right now my main problem is that I'm leading the cars with my panning, so there's always lots of open track ahead! At least I got rid of my shutter punch this year.

Finally, I'm going to work on my panning and shooting at lower shutter speeds, to get more visual drama in the pics. But that comes after I get the cars properly framed.

I've got a ton of decent pics (6 rolls), especially the Caddys. Don't know why, but they kept catching my eye.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Aug 2002, 16:08 (Ref:362154)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
paul

a few things..

picture 2 is along the right lines.

sods law dictates your best picture is always a minardi(or in sportscar terms a caddy?!).

i know its not easy but try and watch your backgrounds...your pic could have a car spitting fire, but all the viewer sees is "SMOKE CIGARETTES - BE A MAN" in the background.

i shoot fuji velvia. thing with transparency is the exposure latitude is a lot less than with negative, but the rewards are greater. as an amateur i'd go down the digital route...if you don't like the picture, then dump it and have another go.

panning is hard. i have the same problem as you in that i always seem to be in front of the cars. look for a spot where they're moving a little faster so you can get a smooother picture. i'm sure a professional would give you other advice...but that works for me!
Old 20 Aug 2002, 17:50 (Ref:362233)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Well, I'm not prepared to buy a decent digital any time soon, so I'm stuck with analog. Which means pay for what you get. (FWIW, I spent about $Cdn 70 on 6 rolls of 24, film+developing)

As for the backgrounds, part of the charm (to me) of photos of old-time tracks is the billboards, so I never really consider their presence as unwanted. To each their own, I guess.

One thing I started doing with panning this time was to predetermine the killing field, and stand with my feet square to it. Then I'd twist to face down the track and wait for the quarry. Previously I had always stood square to the point where the cars appeared. This put me in much better physical shape to get a shake-free shot at the critical moment.

-Bill James
Old 21 Aug 2002, 06:03 (Ref:362664)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Paul, happy or not by your own result, thanks so lot for posting the pics (I love to see pics in the threads !), and I'm such a dope in taking pictures that I'm always impressed by the result of other fans...

For the Caddys, unfortunately it could be important pics near in the future, because of the fact that they could not appear anymore !

Nice job !
Old 21 Aug 2002, 08:49 (Ref:362725)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
paul

you're right that those old time billboards can make good pictures, and sometimes the bright colours of new boards can make good blurred backgrounds for panning pictures.

i pan and shoot the way you do i think, pre-focus on a point on the track and follow them thru. sometimes thru trees works well...this one was no more then a glorified big bush - but it came out well.
Old 21 Aug 2002, 19:10 (Ref:363144)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
sods law dictates your best picture is always a minardi(or in sportscar terms a caddy?!).
Well, kdr, you haven't seen the Caddys recently. They were very quick at Mosport, and JJ Lehto really battled the Joest Audis for the first hour (even running second for a while on merit). Nigel Stroud has done good work.

Also, it's not that I took the same number of pictures of each car and only the Caddys turned out. My shooting choices were heavily imbalanced. I have to admit I really love the look of those cars.

Oh, and I agree about shooting through the trees, but that's why I need to improve my panning and slow down the shutter. I have this shot of the Dyson MG and it's bisected by a hydro pole - and the pole is almost in focus!

-Bill James
Old 22 Aug 2002, 08:48 (Ref:363477)   #9
kdr
Veteran

why is it we try harder with the cars we like?!?!

shame then that the caddys are shuffling off...they are packing up aren't they?

i find a 60th too slow, and usually have more luck at 125th
Old 22 Aug 2002, 10:50 (Ref:363542)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good pictures Paul! It was a marvelous race wasn't it? KDR, your photo looks very dark to me.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:363669)   #11
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am I permitted to post a few pictures of our driver and race car from the 2000 Trans Am season?
Old 22 Aug 2002, 14:09 (Ref:363676)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Do it in its own thread, but of course you're allowed. We'd love to see 'em.

-Bill James
Old 22 Aug 2002, 14:11 (Ref:363679)   #13
kdr
Veteran

liz

in a play on the famous words of crocodile dundee...

"thats not dark....this is dark"

tip 58....expose for the highlights and let the shadows take care of themselves!
Old 25 Aug 2002, 15:29 (Ref:365614)   #14
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It Was A Great Great Day For A Motorcar Race!!!
Old 26 Aug 2002, 10:37 (Ref:365893)   #15
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins

I've got a ton of decent pics (6 rolls), especially the Caddys. Don't know why, but they kept catching my eye.
Strange, but some of my best photos from Le Mans this year were of the Caddys... Perhaps there's just something photogenic about them?

I'll try to get those photos scanned so i can post them later.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:365978)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Eventually I'll scan more photos. I've got to get better at scanning, though, 'cause the photos on screen are flatter than on paper. I'll be trying over the next week; and I'll post 'em when I'm happy.

-Bill James
Old 27 Aug 2002, 14:50 (Ref:366663)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I've added a couple more scans into the same thread in Trackside. Go look! (I used a scanner at work instead of my home one; colours are sharper and more true.)

-Bill James