Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 May 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4050216)   #1501
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There might be a bit more to narrow down the correct date.....
Attached Thumbnails
Image0813-2.jpeg  
Old 7 May 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4050219)   #1502
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Indeed…
Old 7 May 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4050223)   #1503
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can I make a request please? Would it be possible to put the answers clearly and concisely in one post with the original question added as a quote? Especially these multi part affairs. And if anyone is giving possible answers or extra information could they please quote the question they're referring to? I'm finding the answers just as baffling as the questions.

Peace and Love.

Stupido of Bromham.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 7 May 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4050224)   #1504
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To summarise so far, the question along with post 1496.

"Some of it will be easy to place - but timing might be a challenge".

Who? Graham Hill
In What? BRM (model/engine still to be confirmed by some)
Doing What? (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
Where? (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
When? 1st January
- Why is the when wrong? (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)

For those who have confirmed by PM why the date is wrong, they have been given an additional pointer towards narrowing down the correct date.....
Old 7 May 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4050231)   #1505
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest i fail to see why pinning the picture down to a particular day is of any relevance, unless it has some significance. The weather looks none too warm yet not very cold which suggests late March early April, maybe. I cannot find any way of determining the date, so await some clever blighter coming up with the answer or for our inquisitor to reveal all.

Does it cost to join the Club?
Old 7 May 2021, 19:01 (Ref:4050233)   #1506
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
To be honest i fail to see why pinning the picture down to a particular day is of any relevance, unless it has some significance.
The particular date itself is possible not overly relevant - I just found it a bit interesting because once it is narrowed down, it gives an interesting insight into the movements of drivers in that era compared to modern F1 drivers.
Old 7 May 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4050234)   #1507
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'm finding the answers just as baffling as the questions.Peace and Love. Stupido of Bromham.
Thank you!
Old 7 May 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4050237)   #1508
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It gives an interesting insight into the movements of drivers in that era compared to modern F1 drivers.
You mean not kneeling before driving may be…
Old 7 May 2021, 19:23 (Ref:4050239)   #1509
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re post 1486, just for Max, the Driver was Ernst Loof, he was the designer of Veritas and also raced for them, The 53 German GP was his only start, his race lasted 2 meters before the fuel pump failed.
Old 7 May 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4050244)   #1510
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you!

Old 8 May 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4050266)   #1511
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Can I make a request please? Would it be possible to put the answers clearly and concisely in one post with the original question added as a quote? Especially these multi part affairs. And if anyone is giving possible answers or extra information could they please quote the question they're referring to? I'm finding the answers just as baffling as the questions.

Peace and Love.

Stupido of Bromham.

Dear Midge,
As one of the people responsible for causing you distress, by posting a variety of puzzles,that appear to over tax your brain, may I offer some advice or perhaps to guidance might be a better word.

There are three basic types of teaser, one requires recognition of an image.

"Oh! look it is a Morris Marina." or research. "I'm sure I know what that is. Now where is my Boys Book of Motor Cars?"

With the internet/Google most of these can be can be solved by a little diligence.

Another type is frequently the hardest; "Who finished 19th. in the 1969 Patagonian Summer Rallye?"

As few are likely to be familiar with the history of Patagonian motor sport, it can mean scouring the various sources of information. Books/magazines or better still Google.

Thirdly there are the ones that require a certain kind of mind, those that are conundrums, rather like an IQ test, using anagrams and such devices to hide the answer.

"Saw comb, grabs camera."

Posted in such a form, giving no clue as to how the answer may be found, challenges the intellect. "What on earth is he on about?" Easy to ignore as gobbledygook. So a clue is offered, ..."marque my word." a hint that we may be looking for names of cars. perhaps?

No takers, so ...initially it may seem hard...

Cars that use initials in their name ..???? Could be. Possibly by rearranging the words in to sets of initials the answer may be found.

There you have it, a trio of brainteasers, something for everyone.

Ps; i know of a company that can sell you jigsaw puzzles already completed, if you are interested.

PPS; You admit your lack of expertise, believe me there are many even more at sea, and too ashamed to admit it.

Take heart.

Vaya con Dios.
Old 8 May 2021, 08:51 (Ref:4050272)   #1512
midgetman
Veteran

When you tell us who finished 19th in the Rally Patagonia 1969 please be sure to use the quote function so we know the question it's an answer to.

Old 8 May 2021, 08:53 (Ref:4050273)   #1513
midgetman
Veteran

?>>>>>>>>Posted in such a form, giving no clue as to how the answer may be found, challenges the intellect. "What on earth is he on about?" Easy to ignore as gobbledygook. So a clue is offered, ..."marque my word." a hint that we may be looking for names of cars. perhaps?

No I just thought "he's finally flipped" and went to the next thread.

Old 8 May 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4050275)   #1514
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
When you tell us who finished 19th in the Rally Patagonia 1969 please be sure to use the quote function so we know the question it's an answer to.

Quote:
Charles Dodson MG Magnette ME at Ards
OK? MM This one is just for you.
Old 8 May 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4050277)   #1515
bauble
Veteran

England
"Who finished 19th. in the 1969 Patagonian Summer Rallye?"

Quote:
Mustapha Pesoun, drivng a bog standard Khazimobile
Old 8 May 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4050304)   #1516
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think Mustapha was dsq'd following the post-race scrutineering, the velocity stacks of his Plumpudding double choke carb' having been overbored… Do you remember this MM?
Old 8 May 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4050314)   #1517
midgetman
Veteran

I do. But I thought the disqualification was because he got rid of extraneous liquids and then topped them up in parc ferme. Just like the "water cooled brakes", the clue is in the name.

Old 8 May 2021, 12:40 (Ref:4050317)   #1518
bauble
Veteran

England
Thank goodness for rbs;

saw comb grabs camera

AC. BRM, BMW, ERA, OSCA, AGS

OK! MM?

RFB
Old 8 May 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4050326)   #1519
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I do. But I thought the disqualification was because he got rid of extraneous liquids and then topped them up in parc ferme.
This rings a bell. I seem to remember "extraneous liquids" were in fact couscous sauce with pepperonis. Une vraie faute de gout…
Old 8 May 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4050327)   #1520
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Next quizz, a double one in fact: Quelle était la couleur du cheval blanc de Napoleon et quelle était la couleur du téléphone bleu de Ravaillac? Ta!
Old 8 May 2021, 14:59 (Ref:4050341)   #1521
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marengo was white & Ravaillac was a bit early for a phone!
Old 8 May 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4050347)   #1522
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Old 10 May 2021, 15:11 (Ref:4050891)   #1523
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Further summary and to move this on, the question along with post 1496.

"Some of it will be easy to place - but timing might be a challenge".

A couple of PMs correctly identified that Hill was unlikely to be driving a car in the UK on 1st January 1961, due to participation in the Tasman series of races.

In fact, Hill was in the air on the date in question, flying to take part in the New Zealand GP of 7-Jan-61.

Credit to E.B. for this picture of Hill at Ardmore:

Who? Graham Hill
In What? BRM (model/engine still to be confirmed by some)
Doing What? (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
Where? Snetterton (this is a pointer to the follow-on question)
When? 1st January 1961
- Why is the when wrong? Hill was flying to New Zealand at the time

So we know it was Graham Hill in a BRM at a UK circuit, and it was in 1961 - but not on the 1st January. So what date could it have been?

Clues:
- how many broadcasters in 1961 had the capability to mount a camera on a car?
- when would the engine in the car have been used?
- when would Hill have been available to drive the car?
Old 10 May 2021, 18:23 (Ref:4050919)   #1524
bauble
Veteran

England
No trumpet exhausts.
Old 11 May 2021, 05:35 (Ref:4050975)   #1525
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
No trumpet exhausts.
One pic is at Snet' the other at Ardmore… Or is it you french trombone thing again???