Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Feb 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4033783)   #1
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isuzu Bellel

Anyone know anything regarding the competition history of the Isuzu Bellel? I'm just curious because one such example entered two rounds of the 1963 British Saloon Car Championship, driven by Alistair Stewart, at least according to the late Frank de Jong's archive.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 21:23 (Ref:4033894)   #2
RS8V
Rookie

RS8V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bellel or Bellei or Bellet?

Brought Pentti Airikkala's name to attention for the first time with a massively credible performance in an "unsuitable" car on 68 1000 Lakes. Now largely forgotten because of all the hype over Mikkola's first drive for Ford.
Old 7 Feb 2021, 21:50 (Ref:4033896)   #3
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS8V View Post
Bellel or Bellei or Bellet?

Brought Pentti Airikkala's name to attention for the first time with a massively credible performance in an "unsuitable" car on 68 1000 Lakes. Now largely forgotten because of all the hype over Mikkola's first drive for Ford.
Bellet...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a.../26/obituaries
Old 8 Feb 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4034037)   #4
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Bellel - I meant this.

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1963%20Brands%20Hatch%20Sept.html

http://touringcarracing.net/Races/1963%20Snetterton.html
Old 9 Feb 2021, 12:12 (Ref:4034241)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall mention of a Bellett (or Bellet sometimes)

Not a Bellel - and that seems to have only started production in 1964.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 13:19 (Ref:4034248)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Bellel was apparently the first Japanese 2 litre engine sedan. Also the diesel derivative was the first Japanese diese powered car.

Video of the car in this link and article full of info, albeit more road based stuff. I t also says it was announced in October 1961 with production starting in November '61
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/vide...bellel-diesel/

I dont think it will. help you re the one off race (+1 DNA) in the UK though.
Re the Bellett, they were a widely used competition car in Aus, and the 2 Door GT-R is / was quite a car having a 1.6 Twincam engine. Still see one or two here racing in Historic Touring Cars.

In fact a Bellett race car was entered by Nippon at the Goodwood Easter meeting in 1965 – the driver one Bruce McLaren. It might not have actually raced but Bruce did drive it in practice. In fact one ran at the revival in recent years.

But, I digress, that is the Bellett and not the Bellel as requested by the OP.
Old 9 Feb 2021, 20:00 (Ref:4034341)   #7
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The Bellel was apparently the first Japanese 2 litre engine sedan. Also the diesel derivative was the first Japanese diese powered car.

Video of the car in this link and article full of info, albeit more road based stuff. I t also says it was announced in October 1961 with production starting in November '61
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/vide...bellel-diesel/

I dont think it will. help you re the one off race (+1 DNA) in the UK though.
Re the Bellett, they were a widely used competition car in Aus, and the 2 Door GT-R is / was quite a car having a 1.6 Twincam engine. Still see one or two here racing in Historic Touring Cars.

In fact a Bellett race car was entered by Nippon at the Goodwood Easter meeting in 1965 – the driver one Bruce McLaren. It might not have actually raced but Bruce did drive it in practice. In fact one ran at the revival in recent years.

But, I digress, that is the Bellett and not the Bellel as requested by the OP.
Doesn't the side-on shot of the two-tone car look remarkably like an Austin A60 Cambridge?
Old 9 Feb 2021, 21:50 (Ref:4034360)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Doesn't the side-on shot of the two-tone car look remarkably like an Austin A60 Cambridge?
Hehehehe.... I notice in the article it says "Also, to our eyes, it looks a bit like a generic sedan from The Simpsons."
Old 10 Feb 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4034408)   #9
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hehehehe.... I notice in the article it says "Also, to our eyes, it looks a bit like a generic sedan from The Simpsons."
Funnily enough a model Bellel has popped up on eBay & all the windows/doors look even more A60!
Old 10 Feb 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4034410)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Funnily enough a model Bellel has popped up on eBay & all the windows/doors look even more A60!
I just had a look at pics of the A60.... my memory was wrong.... I thought the rear fins were more pronounced and raised, but on looking today I was wrong and it is a 'dead ringer'. So a good call on your part.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4034415)   #11
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I just had a look at pics of the A60.... my memory was wrong.... I thought the rear fins were more pronounced and raised, but on looking today I was wrong and it is a 'dead ringer'. So a good call on your part.
Well, my late father had a Morris Oxford, so...

The earlier A55 Cambridge/Series V Oxford had more pronounced fins, but they were reduced on the later model.
Old 10 Feb 2021, 12:18 (Ref:4034459)   #12
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link to Homologation of Bellelhttps://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1601083801/homologation_form_number_1319_group_t.pdf
Don,t know if this is the model , but it does have pictures of it .