Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Aug 2007, 05:22 (Ref:2000599)   #1
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford Mondeo Super Tourer Pics Wanted

G'day all. I've been told this is THE place for all things motorsport! I hope I have posted this in the right section.

For an upcoming project of mine, I am desparately seeking photos of the Ford Mondeo 2L Super Tourers that raced here in the Australian series back in the late 1990s. Peter Hills ran the two car team back in the BOC Gases 2L Super Touring Car Championship then, and they are the Mondeo sedan super tourers.

I only have one photo of the cars I am chasing photos of:

I am after any more photos of these cars please!

This is the car now, repainted (not my choice but love the car). Note: I do not need any photos of the Mumbo Racing livery, thanks.

I am chasing photos of the cars back in the Super Touring days in its beautiful blue and white livery, similar to this livery (but notice this vehicle is a hatchback, so it was a British touring car).

If you come across any blue and yellow photos, it will be of the British championship winning hatchback, and not what I am after, but do enjoy good photos.

Any photos or links to them would be so appreciated. If you're unsure on a photo but its a blue Mondeo, please post it anyway! I've been searching the net for hours but haven't come across any!

Keywords I have been searching are:
Peter Hills
Canto (drove one of the Mondeos)
Signature Security (one of the sponsors)
Super Tourer

Thanks to anyone that has a look, you guys are my last hope!

Timmeh
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2000623)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In Peter Hills' hands....

In Jim Richards' hands...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Aug 2007, 07:35 (Ref:2000642)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is how they landed here originally....

There were 4 chassis under Mr Hills' wing... 3 brought in from the NATCC, one bought from RPM.

Mr McGill bought one to run under the Trinovin branding...
Old 31 Aug 2007, 09:33 (Ref:2000714)   #4
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR that is the World Chaps livery

FWIW the Hatchback was first run by a BTCC privateer, an Aussie as it happens, Charlie Cox. The main sponsor was "The Carphone Warehouse"
I have some pictures of that car, but that is no good to you.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 12:15 (Ref:2000804)   #5
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andy Rouse Engineering and West Surrey Racing (WSR) were the main two factory Ford Mondeo teams if I remember rightly.

Paul Radisich.....the man responsible for getting WSR into touring car racing!!
Old 31 Aug 2007, 16:19 (Ref:2000945)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you can get ahold of some late 90's issues of Motor Racing Australia I know there is a very detailed article on Peter Hills and his Mondeos complete with details and histories of the cars. I'm thinking 1998 or 1999 that article appeared.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 00:45 (Ref:2002184)   #7
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here you go:
http://www.supertouring.co.uk/galler..._entrants.html
Old 3 Sep 2007, 07:25 (Ref:2002289)   #8
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Thanks guys, but all the photos posted are of the cars in Mk I (or HA / HB trim as known in Aus). I am after photos of the cars in their HC-HD trim, the facelift style.

Mk I (HA / HB)

Mk II (HC / HD)

The headlights / tailights are the biggest difference, and these are the areas I am after a photo of.

Thanks for the replies though. I am amazed 2L Super Tourer photos are so hard to come by.

Timmeh
Old 3 Sep 2007, 10:14 (Ref:2002430)   #9
ozmotorsport
Rookie

ozmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mondeo pics

hi mate
try emailing Rod or Sam, they own all of the cars in Oz
rod@mumboracing.com
sam@amrs.net.au
they should have a tonne of pics and will be more than helpful with your request
you are right, great cars and awesome fun to drive!
good luck!!!
DN
Old 4 Sep 2007, 04:19 (Ref:2003225)   #10
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTimmeh

Thanks for the replies though. I am amazed 2L Super Tourer photos are so hard to come by.

Timmeh
Remember in their heyday the internet was not as developed as it is now...
Old 4 Sep 2007, 05:22 (Ref:2003236)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Nor were digital cameras
Old 4 Sep 2007, 06:45 (Ref:2003255)   #12
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
True, valid points indeed. Just usually someone has a site set up somewhere for just about every motorsport category! I can find heaps of BTCC photos from the same year, just mustn't have been as popular in Oz.

Thanks though!

Timmeh
Old 4 Sep 2007, 06:51 (Ref:2003258)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How's this?

Old 4 Sep 2007, 06:52 (Ref:2003259)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
GTR that is the World Chaps livery

FWIW the Hatchback was first run by a BTCC privateer, an Aussie as it happens, Charlie Cox. The main sponsor was "The Carphone Warehouse"
I have some pictures of that car, but that is no good to you.
The hatch was first used in Germany, on the unsuccessful 4wd cars raced by Schubel Engineering and Wolf Racing (iccardo Patrese, Thierry Boutsen and KrisNissen) in 95.

Charlie Cox's 'Thames Ford Dealers' car started out as a saloon (ex-Rouse- Radisich's 1994 season car I think) but was rebuilt mid-way through the year into a 5-door shell after it was totalled in a multiple roll at Thruxton- (Cox was out of action for 3 months with head injuries, as well as the written-off car and didn't return until late season.) I won't swear to this but I've got a vague recollection that replacement shell may have been sourced from Germany
Old 4 Sep 2007, 07:00 (Ref:2003266)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll have to get the '95 BTCC review out but that's how i remember it, Cox ran the sedan early in the year (when he netted a top 5 in the wet at Brands Hatch), but when he returned late in the year it was with a 5 door.

Those 4WD Mondeo's in Germany proved just how good the Audi A4 was, as opposed to just the 4WD system
Old 4 Sep 2007, 07:02 (Ref:2003267)   #16
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
Andy Rouse Engineering and West Surrey Racing (WSR) were the main two factory Ford Mondeo teams if I remember rightly.

Rouse ran the UK programme initially, and was replaced by WSR for 1996. Prodrive took over the programme for the last couple of years.

Factory-backed cars were also run in Germany (Eggenberger, Schubel and Wolf), France (Graff Racing) and Spain (Ford Espana) between 1994-6: the BTCC programme was the only one to enjoy any real success, and the only one to last beyond 1996
Old 4 Sep 2007, 17:21 (Ref:2003711)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I'd be more inclined to say it was Peter Gillitzer who got WSR into touring cars, Radisich just jumped ship when WSR got the factory contract.

Reynard was part of the deal as well in 1996 and 1997, they built the cars and WSR ran them, but in 1998 it all went in house.

Two of the ex-Eggenberger Mondeo's made an appearance in the ASTC in 1997 as well, with Gianfranco Brancatelli & Albert Poon steering them at Phillip Island (Poon wrote his off in practice), before Mike Briggs drove one at Calder
Old 4 Sep 2007, 18:30 (Ref:2003767)   #18
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Charlie Cox changed through mid 1995 as he wrote his car off in a humongous accident at Thruxton.
Old 5 Sep 2007, 06:36 (Ref:2004021)   #19
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
Yes, I knew about the mid season Cox change, his accident was huge, I but DIDN'T know that the German Hatches we before him though, I thought they were 1996
Cheers for the detail
Old 5 Sep 2007, 06:47 (Ref:2004026)   #20
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
BTW Timmeh, build wouldn't be an IP car based in Victoria would it?
Old 5 Sep 2007, 12:29 (Ref:2004238)   #21
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso Swift
Yes, I knew about the mid season Cox change, his accident was huge, I but DIDN'T know that the German Hatches we before him though, I thought they were 1996
Cheers for the detail
The 4wd hatch actually debuted in Spain, according to that year's Touring Car World Annual... Carlos Palau raced one at Jarama on 23/4/95- the German STW Cup season started at Zolder the following weekend.

I won't swear to this, but I've got a vague memory that one reason for Cox switching to the 5-door might have been the possibility of running the 4wd version in the future (was it only homologated in the 5-door shell?). I think the new shell may have been souced in Germany

The accident certainly was a big one:
http://www.supertouringregister.com/gallery.php?pic=368
Old 7 Sep 2007, 03:26 (Ref:2005788)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Mr Kratzmann in one of Mr Hills' cars
Old 7 Sep 2007, 07:11 (Ref:2005838)   #23
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this may be a silly question but have you got or seen this

http://www.amazon.com/Ford-Touring-C...9148979&sr=8-1

Sorry for some reason my pics still dont seam to come up. See link anyway

Last edited by NAC; 7 Sep 2007 at 07:13.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 07:30 (Ref:2005850)   #24
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://nztouringcars.co.nz/Touring_C...News_4_98.html

Pic at the bottom of the page
Old 7 Sep 2007, 07:31 (Ref:2005851)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
That 'Ford in Touring Car Racing' is a good book.... though it does include a rather fanciful description of Bathurst 1987