Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 21 Feb 2002, 00:46 (Ref:219830)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ray out , Unser In ????

Just read over at the autosport site that Kelley racing are considering dropping Greg Ray in favour of Al Unser Jnr even before the start of the season.

team owner Tom Kelley said that they were considering running a third car for Jnr but now they are not so sure what they are doing just one week before the start of the season.

but the article claims that the team may drop Ray in favour of Jnr in time for Miami.

this would not be a great way to start the season and you would have to feel sorry for Greg Ray if it does happen.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 01:05 (Ref:219835)   #2
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al Unser is IN
Old 21 Feb 2002, 06:55 (Ref:219924)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We don't knosw the entire story, but there were rumors that Ray told the team in Pheonix that the car sucked and they sucked! If this is true, it wasn't going to benifit anyone for them to be together. With Ray facing unemployment, he will be grateful to anyone who rescues him. If he can land a drive alongside Bulh (who tried to get Unser for his second car) he will be an absolute missle with Infinity power. Of lesser interest to him might be Buzz' old ride, but they are scrounging for sponsorship. Greg supposedly has some, but will it be enough?

I wouldn't fret too much. My source says a deal is being swung somewhere and Ray will start Homestead. That is, if he doesn't tell the team they suck.

Either way, the IRL silly season is going down to the wire and provididng us with fascinating entertainment even before the cars turn a wheel. If all the deals that are being chased right now pan out, there could be as many as 35 cars on the Homestead grid, but 29-30 is probably more realistic. There are bound to be some CART entries and IRL team one-off entries for Fontana and Michigan, so those races could see cars bumped out of the show during qualifying!

BADDA BING! The IRL looks to be racing's best show of 2002.
Old 21 Feb 2002, 13:07 (Ref:220034)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well it seems that greg ray has managed to bring this on himslef then !!!!!

he is a wild man thats for sure , very fast but always involved in some form of controversy in a way it would be good to see him there, but if thats the way he carries on then maybe missing out on a ride might be a good thing as well.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 09:31 (Ref:220536)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Found his own sponsorship and signed on for three years.

http://sports.excite.com/news/02212002/v2263.html

I'm glad. Not that Ray's out of work, but that Little Al's sticking around. I hope he can pull up his socks and turn things around.
Old 22 Feb 2002, 17:18 (Ref:220713)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Strange to me. Ray has been extremely fast in the past with Menard, but sometimes guilty of making some not so bright moves. Kelley Racing has proven that they are faster than the Menard team, so I find it strange that he could not mesh with the new team.

As far Al Unser goes. I have always been a fan of Al Jr., but I believe his day is past. I think the team would better served for him to assume a role like Rick Mears has with Penske. The guy knows racing and has years of experience to pass on to younger drivers. I expect to see him seriously outclassed by Scott Sharp this year. Its also pretty ironic that Mark Dismore was released because Delco wanted a younger face and he is eventually replaced by a racer the same age. You think Dismore is frustrated by this latest signing?
Never forget #99
Old 22 Feb 2002, 18:30 (Ref:220758)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
woohoo!!!!

Nice one, its great to have Al Unser Jr racing this year. Ray didn't deserve a Kelley seat.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 14:41 (Ref:222322)   #8
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KC

"Kelley Racing has proven that they are faster than the Menard team,"

I don't think that is going to be true anymore with Jaques Lazier joining the team. I think he is going to surprise everyone. In the last three race, since he joined Menard, there was qualifying only once and JL was on pole and won the race. The other two races lined up on points, with Jaques near the rear. He still got to the front both times and looked good for a win in both until mechanical problems put him out. In the last three races, JL has the fastest lap of the race. I think he is going to turn alot of heads this year and is my favorite to win the 500.

"As far Al Unser goes. I have always been a fan of Al Jr., but I believe his day is past."

Nah, he is going to get a couple of good results. He might even get in the championship fight. It won't be fair to judge him until at least Indy because it is going to take some time to jell with the team. He will be good at Indy.

"You think Dismore is frustrated by this latest signing?"

I'm sure, but there are lots of deals being bantied about right now. There are still four or five good cars left and he is probably the best driver still unemployed (besides Ray).
Old 26 Feb 2002, 15:45 (Ref:222951)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jacques Lazier will be the best the team has had since Greg Ray won the championship for them! Though I'm sure Kelley with Unser & Sharp will be tough to beat as will Penske , Panther, Hemelgarn, Foyt.

2002 IRL season not for the feint hearted!