Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 21 Jan 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2376275)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
I shall be watching with interest! Dan Clarke is exceptionally quick in any race car. Just hope he keeps it on the road!
It's funny how whenever Dan Clarke's name is mentioned people say something like that! Unfortunately there is some truth in the comment.

I see James Winslow is to be the rookie driver, but you would think that when someone like Dan comes into the Series, without any experience of the team, car or circuit, that he should be given a dispensation to run in the rookie sessions as well.

By the way, I am quite interested again now.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2376355)   #27
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I see James Winslow is to be the rookie driver, but you would think that when someone like Dan comes into the Series, without any experience of the team, car or circuit, that he should be given a dispensation to run in the rookie sessions as well.
Yes, it is weird - sometimes A1 give silly rookie dispensations for things, but Speedy Dan doesn't get anything... hmm.

Ah well, let's see what Dan can do... he's sure to be rusty but, at the risk of sounding tiresome, he is very quick if he can keep it on the road .
Old 21 Jan 2009, 23:21 (Ref:2376464)   #28
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
For this season you can't be a rookie if you've competed in F1, CCWS, IRL, GP2 or Nippon.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 02:59 (Ref:2376544)   #29
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks
Good news for you Kerrmann............... GBR not at the track today but I'm told they are on their way...............
While that is definitely good news, the news earlier however true it might have been at the time, in my opinion, should have been worded better.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 11:48 (Ref:2376732)   #30
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
For this season you can't be a rookie if you've competed in F1, CCWS, IRL, GP2 or Nippon.
Thanks fot the clarification, cos. In those terms it makes sense. At least Winslow knows the circuit and the car (I think) so he should be able to set it up for Dan when he takes over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackschmidt
While that is definitely good news, the news earlier however true it might have been at the time, in my opinion, should have been worded better.
I agree. The forum is a place for sharing news, not hints and half-truths.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2376740)   #31
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed. statements like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Rocks
I'm told they are on their way...............
are attention-seeky, and not very impressive. if you know they're on their way, then say it. if people want to question your source, then suggest. trying to look big and clever on the internet just makes you look a bit silly.

in future, if anyone has news, please could they mind their wording. use a bit of common sense. we're all grown ups here, and if you're not willing to state how you found something out (not necessarily who you found it out from), don't say it.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2378454)   #32
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ha Ha,nice one guys, Dan Clarke quick!!!

Quick to wreck cars that's all. I'm surprised the others will go out on track with him.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 14:24 (Ref:2378742)   #33
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be frustrating for Ben Clucas having to watch all these drivers which he has consistently beaten over the years get drives in A1 and yet is consistently overlooked. (ie Oliver Jarvis, Dan Clarke and James Winslow). They should at least give him a run!
Old 25 Jan 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2378843)   #34
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I don't blame Dan Clarke for taking the drive - name me one racing driver who would have turned it down (apart from Danny Watts) - but I do think it was a very bad decision by Team GBR. They've ended up spending all that money for nothing.

Dan's manager is very persistent and maybe some money changed hands, but, when you think about it, the idea was never going to work. Dan hadn't driven a racing car for over 12 months, he wasn't called up until very late and absolutely everything was new to him, so what did they expect? Crazy.

I think, in fact know that Audi would stop Oliver Jarvis from taking the drive, but I agree with Mak that that Ben Clucas is the one to have if Danny is unavailable. I don't know why, but for some reason his face just doesn't seem to fit.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2378961)   #35
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been said, Dan Clarke's lack of speed was no great surprise given his lack of activity recently, which makes his selection the more intriguing. I'd also agree with previous posters in that Ben Clucas would have been a good choice, however, I would be forced to question that given the lateness that announcement was made to who would drive in Taupo whether he would have been able to do himself justice.
Old 26 Jan 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2379265)   #36
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Sorry guys,your lad was woefully slow yesterday....But if it makes you feel better there is no way Marco Andretti is going to F1 anytime soon or ever too.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2382328)   #37
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clarke did the best he could in what was a difficult situation, as has been said he hasnt done any racing for over a year prior to his A1 GP outing and it showed. Had he had some track time before the weekend then perhaps he would have been closer to the front running pace, the question in my mind though is even if he had pre season testing would he be at the front of the grid? Yes he was decent in Champcar but he wasnt a consistant front runner, some of that was down to the Reynard chassis though and the fact he was a rookie, hes fast but he isnt proven on the international scene just yet.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 02:25 (Ref:2396535)   #38
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume Danny Watts will be back for the rest of the season?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2397159)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Definitely for the next round and I hope thereafter. Link.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 05:53 (Ref:2401670)   #40
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read a blog from some British punter who poses the question of whether Danny Watts new sportscar contract will clash with future rounds of A1GP (I don't follow sportscars so I have no idea), and whether current rookie James Winslow must now be eyeing up that seat.

1. I hope Watts stays where he is. He is a character, a nice bloke and a very good driver so it's great to have him in A1GP.
2. If Watts does go, there are plenty of British drivers with much better credentials around. I guess Justin Wilson is committed in the USA (ok he's tall, but if Adam Khan is not driving his bigger car then give it to GBR). And then of course there is the currently ignored Kerr and Jarvis. Got to be other candidates as well.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2401704)   #41
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarvis is not being ignored, he has a contract with Audi which presumably doesn't let him race in A1 any more.

Kerr was apparently a Zytek "protegee" and, once Ferrari came on board, he left the Britiah team. I read this on another forum so I'm not sure how much truth is in it though...
Old 22 Feb 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2401734)   #42
Mak
Veteran

I know this is getting boring.......BEN CLUCAS!!!!!
Old 22 Feb 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2401852)   #43
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They can't afford real drivers like Kerr, Manning or Jarvis ... simple as that!

Watts must either be driving for free or bringing some money.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2401866)   #44
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
They can't afford real drivers like Kerr, Manning or Jarvis ... simple as that!

Watts must either be driving for free or bringing some money.
Watts is there from (good) choice and I doubt there is any money involved. Others you mention are otherwise contracted. There are very GOOD British drivers about who would not need paying. Clark must have been a finacial deal....
Old 22 Feb 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2401874)   #45
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hear Button's not contracted...

Old 23 Feb 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2402503)   #46
play mate
Rookie

play mate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it Danny Watts who is the contracted LNT/Zytek driver? He's just done a deal with the Strakka Racing- Zytek in this years LMS. Kerr has only been in a Zytek sportscar once i think.

I think Watt's is capable, but will he be able to pull the team out of their current dip in form? Team GBR are having their worst ever season in A1GP, I know they have had other issues, but why is it so bad?
Old 23 Feb 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2402516)   #47
Mak
Veteran

May be just getting use to being a Dad.. Congrads Danny
Old 23 Feb 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2402536)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Danny will be fine. If anyone can get the job done, it's him.

I'm far more concerned about the lack of available engines and parts from Ferrari, which severely handicapped some teams this weekend.

Despite the return of the man himself, Fairuz Fauzy wins the Michael Ammermüller Award for the weekend for taking out both Ireland and New Zealand in the main race. Idiot.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2402713)   #49
CLIP-Motorsport
Rookie

England
CLIP-Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amongst other problems, Team GBR seems to be poor in it's pitstops, I've lost count at the number of times we've lost places at the stops. That's not just been this season though, I think it's an area they need to work on.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2410085)   #50
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
On the commercial side, Katie Clements is confident in the future of the team. I guess you would be if A1GP is propping you up...

http://www.sportbusiness.com/britspo...-weather-storm

Interesting that she states that sponsors previously involved with F1 are in touch looking for a lower cost option.