Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Oct 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3860172)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The full MS article reads like he got points on his licence and has thrown his toys out of the pram. He appealed to the MSA Stewards and they agreed with the club.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Of course dear old Dickie is a Motorsport Mag journo isn't he? He's a good journo and actually a good racer but a complete cockwomble if anyone differs with his opinion.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 18:52 (Ref:3860193)   #302
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A Goodwood ban is a year off isn't it?

JO is probably going back to his roots and accepted an offer to join Chas and Dave.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3860196)   #303
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Bit late to join Chas and Dave!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3860210)   #304
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A replacement

He'd be about as good at being Chas as he is at pretending to be posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Bit late to join Chas and Dave!
Old 31 Oct 2018, 20:53 (Ref:3860211)   #305
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So we have booked accommodation again, for one more year at least, but retirement means that the opportunity to do more overseas historic meetings is now a reality. So Dijon, Ricard, Imola, Portimao may get a visit in the coming years, camera in hand !
...don't forget Pau. Eurostar to Gare du Nord, Metro to Montparnasse, TGV to Pau. Step off the train and you're opposite the pits.
Old 31 Oct 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3860215)   #306
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Of course dear old Dickie is a Motorsport Mag journo isn't he? He's a good journo and actually a good racer but a complete cockwomble if anyone differs with his opinion.
Yes he is. His article this month is very clearly aimed at JO.

JO has threatened not even to take his racing licence out for 2019. Big sulk.

Old 31 Oct 2018, 21:03 (Ref:3860216)   #307
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The problem is with some if not most of the professional drivers is their idea of racing conflicts with the basis of historic racing where most owners would prefer it if their car finished the races in the same state as they started it.
They are paid in most cases to drag the cars they are given to the highest position they can.

That’s undermines the basis of historic race driving but makes some decent bits for You Tube when they mess up a car.
And race organisers can stick in on web sites.

JO is not used to that type of racing nor some of the BSCC old men who enter Historic’s for one last go at being superstars in what is very much lower league sport.

It’s reaching the time when a form of control such as applied in US and Patrick Peter events should be introduced.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 07:07 (Ref:3860251)   #308
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It’s reaching the time when a form of control such as applied in US and Patrick Peter events should be introduced.
Yes, following some high cost incidents, Patrick insists during each briefing on the "good fellow" ad fair play driving attitude. Till now it works, together with a kind of fine given if you're responsible for a big crash.
If you're talking about Jackie Oliver, are you sure he has not been driving in U2TC for a long while? During a race at Dijon, he took over me gaining the third place but neither he "ding, dong" me nor he sent me out of track!
Old 1 Nov 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3860253)   #309
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I confess, I've shared the track with him a few times and I've not heard any complaints about his driving.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 08:22 (Ref:3860263)   #310
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
JO drove Les' Cortina car a few times early noughties, before he got involved with Laranca/BMW, possibly his first foray in historics? As a mere 'spanner' at the time I can't say I found him a particularly pleasant/polite chap, although he didn't bash the car up.

things got a whole lot more competitive with Laranca . . . . and HAve shared a track also, I just keep out of the way!

next he's an also ran, like me, in mid field, in an ordinary Cortina, when he has a coming together with Maydon in Jasons mini. . . . . If that had been Jason and I in our own cars, I guarantee it would not have ever happened.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3860305)   #311
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't forget Maydon runs as a "pro" too. That was racing incident, no more, no less. But then again that may be John's point.

Agreed JO isn't the most pleasant of folks but then again not all of us are angels are we?
Old 1 Nov 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3860310)   #312
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Don't forget Maydon runs as a "pro" too. That was racing incident, no more, no less. But then again that may be John's point.

Agreed JO isn't the most pleasant of folks but then again not all of us are angels are we?
I am
Old 1 Nov 2018, 10:56 (Ref:3860315)   #313
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There are a few exceptions.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3860320)   #314
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I don't think it was a racing incident.

I have never been called an angel.

Quote:

Old 1 Nov 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3860339)   #315
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agree to disagree, I don't think it was on purpose.

And no, I wouldn't call you an angel.

And, "Meadon" not "Maydon".
Old 1 Nov 2018, 23:51 (Ref:3860446)   #316
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Agree to disagree, I don't think it was on purpose.

And no, I wouldn't call you an angel.

And, "Meadon" not "Maydon".
Meaden actually....
Old 2 Nov 2018, 05:27 (Ref:3860483)   #317
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol. Quite right.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3860485)   #318
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FWIW Motor Sport claims the St Mary's Trophy this year had the worst driving standards ever seen at Goodwood. Loads of drivers up before the beak.

Old 2 Nov 2018, 06:23 (Ref:3860487)   #319
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes, that I agree with, in both versions, there was a lot of contact. Maybe that's why the MM clashes with the BTCC this year.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3860500)   #320
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Probably the only way they can fill the grid . . . there can't be too many of us left with cars that are prepared to have them smashed up, just for a laugh. . . I'd happily do the MM if I knew it was 'enthusiasts' or people we've raced with over the years, but wouldn't entertain the St Marys trophy again.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3860503)   #321
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, that I agree with, in both versions, there was a lot of contact. Maybe that's why the MM clashes with the BTCC this year.
I know the BTCC drivers have a bad reputation for contact, but were they responsible for all of the carnage this year?
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3860504)   #322
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No in fact the worst accidents happened on the owner's day IIRC. That said a lot of the owners are semi pro anyway.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:28 (Ref:3860509)   #323
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmsAUPm8

Still catching up on the photos - gallery from the Jack Sears Memorial Trophy here - including one "delta" of this parish.
Great photos David, had a look back and would like to get a couple from the Richmond/Gordon off you could you drop me an email to sort? will@inracing.co.uk

Cheers,

Will
Old 2 Nov 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3860511)   #324
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No in fact the worst accidents happened on the owner's day IIRC. That said a lot of the owners are semi pro anyway.
Thanks for that Peter. I wasn't sure who was responsible, but didn't think (on this occasion) the BTCC drivers were completely to blame.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3860524)   #325
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just had a look at the St. Mary's highlights video.

Not a great angle on the Oliver/Meaden incident but based on what one can see it looks unlikely that one could come to a clear conclusion about any sort of blame.

Presumably there will be other evidence around not available in the public domain.

Whether it is in any way reasonable to attempt to race Historic cars that way is another matter. As the commentary said it does make for incredibly close racing and show off some remarkable racing ability. However, whilst that is great for the Goodwood 'product' and its follow up marketing via the internet it's nothing like as satisfying for owners - or at least I would presume there are few who would see the extra risk to their assets being in any way beneficial to their involvement.

Unless, of course, they win.