Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:38 (Ref:646950)   #1
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Violent Raikonnen

Did any one else see Raikonnen near-enough hit the marshall who helped him out of his car? Fair enough he was angry, but he shouldn't have taken it out on the guy who was helping him! A fine should be in order for him I think
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:44 (Ref:646956)   #2
Hammerwerfer
Rookie

Ireland
Deutschland/Éire
Hammerwerfer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed him give the marshal a shove in a sort of hands off move. I guess he just didn't have the need for a hug at the moment. I'd say he was somewhat overloaded with adrenalin at the moment and wanted time and space for himself. Just a momentary lapse.

He seemed very composed when he took off his helemt and rode back to the paddock.

He also was a gentleman going down the pit wall and chatting with every team member there. Class.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:45 (Ref:646959)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rubbish - all he did was shove him, not even hard. I do not understand why marshalls always want to grab the drivers when they are keyed-up and frustrated - the marshalls need only make sure that the driver can see (and hear) them, and gesture in the appropriate direction.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:46 (Ref:646961)   #4
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Violent Raikonnen

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandy_snap
Did any one else see Raikonnen near-enough hit the marshall who helped him out of his car? Fair enough he was angry, but he shouldn't have taken it out on the guy who was helping him! A fine should be in order for him I think
********!
He gave the guy a push, as the bloke was about to put his hands on Kimi. Talk about an invasion of your personal space
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:53 (Ref:646967)   #5
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not like James Hunt, he really let his feelings be known to any marshall to get in his way!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:54 (Ref:646969)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
do not even dare tuch him .. he's overcharged with electricity .. ... come on give him a break ... .. to bad there were no bushes around .. maybe he would have done a Mika one

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:56 (Ref:646970)   #7
Brandy_snap
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
do not even dare tuch him .. he's overcharged with electricity .. ... come on give him a break ... .. to bad there were no bushes around .. maybe he would have done a Mika one
My dad did say he might throw down his gloves, etc!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:58 (Ref:646971)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm another one that doesn't see why marshall's have to touch the drivers & it wasn't just Kimi but also Ralf when he was celebrating with his crew & looking for his wife after the race. It's common sense that the drivers are going to be pumped up by adrenalin & in Kimi's case dissapointment & anger & in Ralf's case elation, i know if i was in either driver's position i wouldn't want an official grabbing me.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:04 (Ref:646973)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
None of the drivers like it.

I wouldn't like it.

The Marshalls should ask themselves, in the dirivers' boots, whether or not they would appreciate such intrusion at a time like that.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:10 (Ref:646977)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glen your obviosly not a marshal then?!

Marshals are there to help, without them the sport cannot exist.

Although there was nothing to say that there would be anythin wrong with Kimi, the amount of adrenaline in the body can make drivers shakey and also the heat in the cockpit can have its effect on the body making the drivers feel weak. Also some drivers do need a hand to get out of their cars. Therefore a lot of marshals put their arms round the drivers to make sure they're not gonna fall over or anything and to ckeck they are ok. Also if a driver is already out of the car and if they still have their helmet on it can be very difficult to hear the marshals and therefore they have to get close to the drivers, and this often leads to the marshals putting their arms round the driver.

Also drivers how ever wound up they are should not lash out at marshals no matter how hard or soft they do it. It is unneccessary and maybe an example should be made of Kimi. Marshals are there to do a job and often are there as volunteers, they do not need to be put off the sport or at risk of injury by violent drivers.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:16 (Ref:646986)   #11
Brandy_snap
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by chezza
Glen your obviosly not a marshal then?!

Although there was nothing to say that there would be anythin wrong with Kimi, the amount of adrenaline in the body can make drivers shakey and also the heat in the cockpit can have its effect on the body making the drivers feel weak. Also some drivers do need a hand to get out of their cars. Therefore a lot of marshals put their arms round the drivers to make sure they're not gonna fall over or anything and to ckeck they are ok. Also if a driver is already out of the car and if they still have their helmet on it can be very difficult to hear the marshals and therefore they have to get close to the drivers, and this often leads to the marshals putting their arms round the driver.

Also drivers how ever wound up they are should not lash out at marshals no matter how hard or soft they do it. It is unneccessary and maybe an example should be made of Kimi. Marshals are there to do a job and often are there as volunteers, they do not need to be put off the sport or at risk of injury by violent drivers.
Thank you someone who agrees with me!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:23 (Ref:646989)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Violent? Geddouttahere!

Kimi was simply getting out of the car and the marshal was all over him like a bad rash. Considering he'd just retired and was most likely furious, I know of a few who would have belted that marshal!!!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:35 (Ref:647000)   #13
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are a few marshals who get a bit Starstuck, but without us there would be no race,
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:36 (Ref:647002)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Due to various reasons i haven't actually seen the incident. Sometimes marshals can be a bit over enthusiastic as they can be stood on a bank all day and thst is the only thing they get to do, there is still no need to lash out though!
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:45 (Ref:647013)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The way I saw it Kimi just put his hand up to stop the marshal from getting too close. It's not unusual for a driver to be so cheesed off after an engine blow or an accident and they just want a little space. Most experienced marshals give drivers that space and allow them to cool off a little and to compose themselves. I notice that non of you have mentioned that the marshals gave Kimi one of their chairs to sit on!

I have had several experiences of drivers not wanting to be spoken too or touched in any way, normally a quiet word resolves the situation. However, the marshal HAS to stay with the driver in order to make sure he/she doesn't walk to an area they shouldn't be or, to walk back on the track as has happened sometimes in a state of shock.

To those of you who think the marshal did 'wrong', let me offer you a day's marshalling with me (or one of the many other Ten-Tenthers who are marshals) so that you get a proper view of what really happens.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 10:48 (Ref:647016)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
He wasn't exactly violent, just hacked off that he was running away with it and his car let him down. Perhaps he shouldn't have shoved the marshal, but he was hardly going to be happy, smiling and approachable after losing what look like a pretty certain race win.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:36 (Ref:647068)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not a marshall, but I'm not stupid either. All of the marshall's duties can easily be performed without grabbing the driver - he was already out, he knew where he was going, he wasn't hurt... no need to touch him. He could have stayed with Kimi without grabbing him.

I'm quite certain that a marshall's job can be difficult, but I'm even more sure that it ain't as hard as leading a GP, poised to re-assume the lead in the WDC, and then having an engine blow. If Kimi had shoved the guy despite an obvious need for physical help (such as getting him out of the car, stopping him from wandering in the wrong direction, whatever) then this thread would have a fair grounding. But he didn't.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:42 (Ref:647074)   #18
billaboy
Rookie

billaboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf's Girl
He wasn't exactly violent, just hacked off that he was running away with it and his car let him down. Perhaps he shouldn't have shoved the marshal, but he was hardly going to be happy, smiling and approachable after losing what look like a pretty certain race win.
I agree....Also the marshal's I've seen (in US and Canada anyway) are normal size men and women (compared to the short skinny drivers) form the looks of thing's Kimi is'nt much bigger then my 10 year old brother, I'm sure the marshal was in no danger of being hurt and should of backed off at the least. What a shame that was though Kimi was driving an awsome race, I hope they dont find that Kimi was pushing the car to hard though. Then David also
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:51 (Ref:647081)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think he actually 'pushed' the marshal, more he held his arm up to stop contact. Slightly different in my opinion.

Glen, you are probably right in saying there was no need for contact, but there are numerous occasions when a friendly hand on the shoulder is used to direct the driver to go where you ask him. As has been said above, in the heat of the moment we all do things that we would otherwise not do, and this incident (if you can call it that) is surely one of those?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:53 (Ref:647083)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I would add that with the background noise at any race meeting, drivers with earphone headsets and marshals wearing ear defenders, there are occasions when a friendly hand is the only sensible way in which to communicate.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 12:27 (Ref:647121)   #21
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by chezza

I suppose Kimi et al could counter-argue that drivers are also there to do a job and don't need to be put off the sport or at risk of injury by being groped by marshals. Is it really true that the only way drivers can find their way around is for a marshal to hold their hand?

Perhaps Marshals should realise that motorsport does not JUST revolve around them but around a large number of people - marshals, drivers, teams, spectators, engineers, the people who go to the trouble of arranging race meetings. You're all volunteers yes... well, you don't have to marshal if you don't like it. You don't sign a contract to stand around wearing orange every weekend

I won't even start on your suggestion that "an example" should be made of Kimi. If so, why don't you also make an example of the 3 marshal's at the ETCC yesterday who left their posts midway through the GT race and left a post and fire-extinguishers unattended for quite some time? That's not very professional in my opinion.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 12:44 (Ref:647133)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Suzy,

I don't know why Brandy-Snap thought an example should be made and I certainly wouldn't suggest it should.

However, I take issue with your view that marshals think the sport revolves just around them or that we 'grope' drivers as you so eloquently phrase it.

There ARE occasions when, as a result of delayed shock, drivers left alone have wandered back onto the track, thus putting not only their own lives at risk, but other drivers and marshals as well. I accept that this was not one of those instances, but please be aware that they DO exist.

It is also true that we don't sign a contract and yes, we do make the decision to stand around in orange all weekend of our own accord. Fortunately for motor racing we choose to do so or there would be much less racing for all to see. We don't want a medal for our efforts nor do we want to be abused.

To end, I think this whole subject has been blown out of proportion, I don't see the marshals or Kimi complaining, do you?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 12:58 (Ref:647148)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
There ARE occasions when, as a result of delayed shock, drivers left alone have wandered back onto the track, thus putting not only their own lives at risk, but other drivers and marshals as well. I accept that this was not one of those instances, but please be aware that they DO exist.
I've seen that happen a number of times actually, the worst being once at Molson Indy where an Atlantic driver's engine failed and left him in an unfamiliar part of the course. He pulled off to the inside, and for some reason thought it necessary to cross the track, only to find there was nowhere to go, and he was left in the middle of the back straight! Luckily one of the marshalls eventually got his attention, but it could have been a lot worse.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:03 (Ref:647153)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't find anything negative in Kimi's behaviour: everybody would have been as angry in tha situation, by the way the marshal didn't result injured.
Twas apparently just a nervous reaction in a troublesome situation, nothing more.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 13:24 (Ref:647183)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IMHO this is another over reaction. A good race and he was disappointed. Have you never seen James Hunt when he was disappointed?

Also did you see him with the team afterwards and the waving to the crowd? I'm not sure some of the other's would have been like that.