Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2946220)   #1
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old Style Racing Numbers

I can't remember if I once read it on this forum or not but is there a source of racing numbers in a style more suited to a 1950s car?
The numbers available from Demon Tweaks, GP Racewear and the like are very modern looking and I'd like something that looks a bit more "period".

I'm well aware that numbers back then would have been painted on and I'm not averse to doing that if someone is able to tell me what sort of paint and brush to use.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2946235)   #2
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chalk Balls!

OK we used to get a ball of chalk, scrape it into a tin/bowl whatever, add warm water to make it into a paste, then paint the numbers on.
The consistency is everything, as if it is medium to thick it won't come off if it rains.
Ther! That's straight from the 'Orses Marf!
Attached Thumbnails
Gell with Zepyr in Chip Shop Yard.jpg  
Old 26 Aug 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2946240)   #3
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have strong memories of the late 60's and early seventies at Silverstone where the number painters went around all the cars in the morning and painted the numbers onto your roundels with a black paint that was soluble in parafin I think? I thought it had boot polish in it - not sure. They were classic skilled signwriters. Clearly had to be something not soluble in water for when it rained !!!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2946241)   #4
jamesholland
Racer

I remember well the lady who painted the numbers at VSCC meetings back in the 1960s. She had a pot of black and a pot of white. I recall the numbers sometimes disappearing in the rain, in particular the white ones.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 10:32 (Ref:2946245)   #5
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i went through the same Q last year, trying to match up the numbers on my car from an early 70'spic in America - they stuck to the old style and just fattened the font out.

in the end i found the font that was right for me and just got a local vinyl sign shop to make up the numbers - think they charged about £9 for a set of 6
Old 26 Aug 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2946247)   #6
jamesholland
Racer

There is a company that does what I'm after I'm sure but I can't remember the name.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2946269)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Tell me the type face you want and I will cut as many as you like www.cadart.com BTW phone line down at moment and cant get through to BT!
Old 26 Aug 2011, 12:28 (Ref:2946306)   #8
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Tell me the type face you want and I will cut as many as you like www.cadart.com BTW phone line down at moment and cant get through to BT!
I was waiting for someone to reccommend you Al, but you gone an' dunnit first.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2946417)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post

You could always phone one of their nice telephone operatives, and hope they understand you Al.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2946592)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
They are coming Tuesday but told me if its my equipment problem which I am sure its not its gonna cost me £169 + vat!!!! Just where do they get their prices from?
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2946606)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Al, if it is your equipment then you give the BT bloke a drink and ask him to book the fault as outside.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2946614)   #12
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al if it's your equipment you managed to knock out half of NW London's broadband
Old 26 Aug 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2946616)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha yes Tim when I was a window fitter I broke a few lines coming in through the old window frames and used to do just that. I am pretty sure its not my equipment as I tried it on the other line and it was fine and also tried another phone on the bad line and it wouldnt work.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2946842)   #14
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Probably find like my mate did the other week....BT said no fault with the line, must be your equipment..until the Tech turned up to discover that the cable had been nicked from where it emerged from the ground to go up the pole right through to the termination on his building - put about 4 firms off the air for a few days.......probably made the thieves about £15......
Old 27 Aug 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2946865)   #15
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The reason I changed to Virgin with fibre optic cable is because someone kept nicking around a quarter of a mile of copper cables near our exchange. Each time it put thousands of homes and businesses off line. Repairs were carried out as and when you reported your phone going off, on the first occasion I waited 24 hours and ended up being off line for nearly two weeks. I did get £2.44 compensation though.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2946894)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Probably find like my mate did the other week....BT said no fault with the line, must be your equipment..until the Tech turned up to discover that the cable had been nicked from where it emerged from the ground to go up the pole right through to the termination on his building - put about 4 firms off the air for a few days.......probably made the thieves about £15......
And the amount of work involved they could have pushed a broom for a few hours and made more.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2946920)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I waited 24 hours and ended up being off line for nearly two weeks. I did get £2.44 compensation though.
Hope you spent it wisely, Tim!

The Intercity rail line from Norwich to Liverpool St is always having delays caused by signal cables being nicked....

Al- remember to bring up the subject of race numbers on monday!
Old 27 Aug 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2946960)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Will do. Back on topic even if you dont know the name of the font post a picture up and I will see if I can recognise what you are looking for,
Old 28 Aug 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2947092)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've got a mate who runs his own little business and has always done bespoke for me, the hard bit is finding good period snaps . . . then Steve is brilliant at recreating stuff.

its taken me nearly 10 years to find a colour WIlment photo to prove my red roundels are period, its only ever been one jobsworth in BElgium thats stopped us from racing with them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0025.jpg  
Old 30 Aug 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2948145)   #20
jamesholland
Racer

This is the sort of thing I'm after http://www.500race.org/Gallery/Brand...e%20250553.jpg
Old 30 Aug 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2948164)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Look like Gills Sans bold to me, nothing special either of them, how many do you want
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2948272)   #22
jamesholland
Racer

Al, 3 sets of no. 151 will do for my next event. I need to check what size I need first as it's a small car! I think I have been using 9" numbers but I'll check this evening.
Thanks for your kind help and interest.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2948276)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No problem, BT fixed phome line and was there fault so you can call me any time during business hours 020 8954 3383 or PM me. Find out the overal width as well as the hieght as unlike the numbers you buy at the circuits these will be pre-spaced and easy to apply on application tape so I will set the kerning space between letters to make sure it fits your max width for the three numbers.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2948294)   #24
jamesholland
Racer

Thanks. I'll be in touch.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2951679)   #25
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al
JT may be in touch but it would be good if you could identify a suitable font for a 50s or Historic style of font for the cars in our new series to use. Do you have a suggestion or do we need to find something?