Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3703740)   #26
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
By your definition Erebus was a manufacture supported team in 2016, as was prodrive and we know thats not true.

Dealer support is different to manufacturer support
Sure, dealer support existed.

But all those marques mentioned had the manufacturer committing resources of some kind to race teams.

It may have been dollars, access to parts, assistance with homolgation, etc.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3703741)   #27
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the context of early 1980s touring cars, manufacturer support could be seen in the form of special bodyshells, in-kind parts support, and even money.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3703742)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
By your definition Erebus was a manufacture supported team in 2016, as was prodrive and we know thats not true.

Dealer support is different to manufacturer support
They were receiving assistance from Holden.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3703743)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
surely you can do better than that
Old 20 Jan 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3703744)   #30
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
In the context of early 1980s touring cars, manufacturer support could be seen in the form of special bodyshells, in-kind parts support, and even money.
Manufacturer support has certainly evolved through time, but it has always been three albeit in different forms.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3703745)   #31
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
surely you can do better than that
Yes. I will 'phone Betty in the morning and ask her to send me a copy of the contract she signed with Simon McNamara.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:03 (Ref:3703746)   #32
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes. I will 'phone Betty in the morning and ask her to send me a copy of the contract she signed with Simon McNamara.
Who?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3703747)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Look GTR said it, so check with him, I threw in a year that seemed possibly because both Holden and Ford had pulled their support. But not totally confident. However you guys are trying to pull a technicality to say there was support, It you knew which team had manufacturer support then you should be able to prove it simply. It really isnt that difficult.

Maybe ask GTR who made the comment

edit, however maybe the sleuth has it covered, does he read here?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3703749)   #34
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

with all this culling, I wonder if Mr Warbuton needs to head to England and have a chat with Mr Gow.

Seems BTCC s runing strong, whilst the old ATCC , evolved into Super cars , has run its term, and they may need to revisit the ATCC, with heaps of cars , 4cyl , v6 etc.

Unless he can swindle the manufacturers and public into believing that manufacturers are still interested in running V8's in the land down under.
(maybe they could buy the old AUSCAR series of Bob)

Personally, I think with the current market and vehicles coming into Aust,
demographics will shift towards the BTCC style.

Short tracks , should produce awesome racing, street circuits a bit dull, and unfortunately , Bathurst would seem really dull, but then again, they raced all classes of cars for years before.

I wonder where we will be in 2020
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3703750)   #35
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Who?

Indeed.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3703751)   #36
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Look GTR said it, so check with him, I threw in a year that seemed possibly because both Holden and Ford had pulled their support. But not totally confident. However you guys are trying to pull a technicality to say there was support, It you knew which team had manufacturer support then you should be able to prove it simply. It really isnt that difficult.

Maybe ask GTR who made the comment

edit, however maybe the sleuth has it covered, does he read here?
Not everything in this world is black and white.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3703755)   #37
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

1981 featured official factory efforts from Mazda (run by Allan Moffat), BMW (run by Frank Gardner & Allan Grice) and Nissan (run by Nissan themselves)

Ford gave Dick Johnson over $35,000 for his 1981 campaign, how is that not factory support?

Then you had the Toyota Dealer Team for Peter Williamson, and HDT with Brock.... but apparently these don't count (we aren't naive enough to think that the Holden effort was confined to Dealer interests only are we....?)
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3703756)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Not everything in this world is black and white.
No but this is.

But really it different now anyway, back then you could buy on monday and race on sunday. Havent been able to do that for a while
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3703757)   #39
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
The assistance Erebus received last year was an example of the type of support a manufacturer can give.

Although clearly not the same level of support HRT or RBRA received.

Now if we really want to start an argument we could discuss what make a "factory" team.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3703760)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
1981 featured official factory efforts from Mazda (run by Allan Moffat), BMW (run by Frank Gardner & Allan Grice) and Nissan (run by Nissan themselves)

Ford gave Dick Johnson over $35,000 for his 1981 campaign, how is that not factory support?

Then you had the Toyota Dealer Team for Peter Williamson, and HDT with Brock.... but apparently these don't count (we aren't naive enough to think that the Holden effort was confined to Dealer interests only are we....?)
Neither Nissan or moff ran in the championship that year, but i will conceded BMW, I had worked that out but was giving the other boys to stop with the technicalities and work it out (thus my sleuth comment, who just posted a pic of a JPS BMW)

No way was the gift from Ford manufacturer considered to be support and no way was the HDT thing considred manufacturer support. both had announced they were no longer supporting the series
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3703762)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
so when are you boys going to put the hard word on GTR who said the comment.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3703764)   #42
Umai Naa
Veteran

Well if you want to bait people, you can go get stuffed.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3703766)   #43
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Well if you want to bait people, you can go get stuffed.
I didnt bait anyone. I threw in a year as reasonable guess (no holden or Ford), but forgot about BMW. eventually i got bored with your loopholing and looked it up

But still you go after my post and not GTR's original post. Why is that?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3703767)   #44
Umai Naa
Veteran

Don't put this back on me.

Your questions have been answered by more than one member, with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Move on.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3703770)   #45
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Don't put this back on me.

Your questions have been answered by more than one member, with a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Move on.
Chavez asked the question. Still hasnt got an answer though
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3703771)   #46
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Factory support can probably be broken down into 3 categories:

*Factory team, where a team is deemed a manufacturer's official representative who is the largest contributor to a team's budget, eg HRT

*Factory supported, where a manufacturer makes a contribution to a team's budget, but is not the biggest contributor, eg what teams like BJR, GRM etc received from Holden up until a few years ago

*Factory assisted, where a manufacturer assists with provision of panels and parts, and courtesy cars through its dealer network at events, but no cash, eg what BJR & Erebus received in 2016

It's the latter that could be at risk from further cutbacks by Holden, so probably not huge in dollar terms, but enough to create a budget shortfall.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3703772)   #47
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
JPS Team BMW ran in the 1981 ATCC with factory backing, albeit not the full series.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3703773)   #48
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
JPS Team BMW ran in the 1981 ATCC with factory backing, albeit not the full series.
yep had subsequantly worked it out thanks

although i reckon they would have survived the year without it anyway, as you mentioned not full time
Old 20 Jan 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3703775)   #49
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No way was the gift from Ford manufacturer considered to be support and no way was the HDT thing considred manufacturer support. both had announced they were no longer supporting the series
Ford giving a team money is not considered to be support?

The race team that had a direct link to the factory selling their hotted up road cars, who had the "Police Pack" Commodore's homologated for them in 1982, was not considered to be supported by the manufacturer? Not to mention that the "HDT" in 1969 had been named as such as a cover for the manufacturer to get around General Motors worldwide ban on motor racing....

Do you make this stuff up as you go along?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3703786)   #50
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
IIRC at the end of 1979 Holden decided it would withdraw from funding the HDT. So Brock did a deal with the dealer network for him to purchase the team and the dealers fill the void left by GMH's withdrawal, hence from the outside the team looked the same, albeit switching from the AX9 Torana to the VB Commodore.

Brock obviously retained a direct relationship with Holden through the HDT road car business, and by the Group A era and the ETCC campaign in 1986, it appeared that Holden were again contributing directly.