Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jan 2003, 23:35 (Ref:480630)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garry Rogers Motorsport Sign Second Driver

The V8 driver jigsaw puzzle is getting closer to completion following the announcement that reigning Australian Formula Ford champion Jamie Whincup will join Garth Tander and drive for Garry Rogers Motorsport in season 2003.

http://www.racenews.com.au/?racenews=505 for full release
Old 20 Jan 2003, 23:42 (Ref:480638)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the rumour that Prodrive has bought or leased both Forbes and Seton franchises could be true then and drivers (Seton Team) Seton/Lowndes and (Forbes Team) Besnard/Radisich could be true.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 00:15 (Ref:480673)   #3
pete55
Veteran

In saying that, i have still heard Longhurst's name at Forbes but that wouldn t go with Besnard's Caltex deal i wouldn't think. Maybe The Rat will go to Briggs but where does that leave Ritter.
Maybe Longhurst will go to HRO to codrive in the Enduros leaving Ritter in a drive at Forbes.
It's all becoming clear, i think.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 00:17 (Ref:480674)   #4
pete55
Veteran

Congratulations Jamie. I guess that it has been proven over the years that Garry Rogers is a good judge when it comes to picking up young drivers for V8 Supercars. The list that have driven for him are pretty impressive.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 05:36 (Ref:480770)   #5
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on Ya Jamie , another of the silly seasons worst kept secrets
Old 21 Jan 2003, 06:46 (Ref:480789)   #6
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
So the rumour that Prodrive has bought or leased both Forbes and Seton franchises could be true then and drivers (Seton Team) Seton/Lowndes and (Forbes Team) Besnard/Radisich could be true.
I think you will find that the Rod Nash franchise originaly intended for team Brock is infact the one that Besnard will run on as PB and RN have parted ways and IMS has stepped in to provide the franchise.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 07:41 (Ref:480809)   #7
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Jamie! So I take it Garry managed to appease the sponsors, or was that rumour off the mark?
Old 21 Jan 2003, 09:06 (Ref:480841)   #8
pete55
Veteran

I may be wrong but i thought Garry Rogers handled all of Valvoline Sponsorship dollars in Australia even to the sponsorship of other teams. He would have a limit of what he could use himself of course i guess
Old 21 Jan 2003, 09:59 (Ref:480856)   #9
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
I know about Garry's connection with Valvoline, but I remember reading somewhere that Valvoline wanted a more experienced (read: big-name) driver to get the #35 ride.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 23:26 (Ref:481848)   #10
Onlooker
Veteran

So did Tander from all reports and is none to pleased with having to baby sit the new guy.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 21 Jan 2003, 23:51 (Ref:481878)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think Jamie will do reasonably well , ok maybe he may have a tough first season but hes a good driver and eventually he will get on top of whatever he races.

Good luck jamie
Old 22 Jan 2003, 00:06 (Ref:481886)   #12
Onlooker
Veteran

Tander himself hardly set any records in the first year that you would be proud of.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 22 Jan 2003, 06:35 (Ref:482067)   #13
pete55
Veteran

Some drivers forget just where they came from. I thought there was a fair similarity betweem Tander and Whincup.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 06:39 (Ref:482072)   #14
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
Some drivers forget just where they came from. I thought there was a fair similarity betweem Tander and Whincup.
ME too!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 07:07 (Ref:482087)   #15
Onlooker
Veteran

But they weren't super stars back then were they.I wonder if the new deal with GRM for tander includes a pay rise increased at the CPI from what he was payed in year 1 when he was rescued from workin as a mechanic after being the FF champ.

Old 22 Jan 2003, 07:45 (Ref:482112)   #16
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see any difference at all between signing Whincup now and signing Tander when he was first hired.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 08:21 (Ref:482132)   #17
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
I don't see any difference at all between signing Whincup now and signing Tander when he was first hired.
Nor me David.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 09:42 (Ref:482177)   #18
Garth
Rookie

Garth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ladies, Gentleman PLEASE. Where did all this come from, someone says :

"So did Tander from all reports and is none to pleased with having to baby sit the new guy."

and now I am some bloke who forgot where I came from, has recieved a "HUGE" pay rise and is now a baby sitter.

For the record I am happy with GRM's choice in driver for the 35 car and am looking forward to working with Jamie for the next few years.

Also, the point made about Valvoline not being happy with the choice of driver for the 35 car is well off the mark. They were extremely happy with his efforts in the FF championship and also look forward to working with Jamie.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 09:46 (Ref:482179)   #19
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tander didn't mind babysitting Leanne!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:10 (Ref:482373)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Way to go Garth, welcome aboard

I dunno, with the testing restrictions I'd give him a couple of races to get fully into stride, but heck, he must have something going for him, cause there are some decent steerers going around without a drive. Best of luck to him
Old 22 Jan 2003, 13:20 (Ref:482383)   #21
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey GT - seems to be a few of us getting into 10 tenths recently!!

Out of interest, if you were say, "hypothetically" annoyed with by the choice of your new team mate, and Valvoline none to pleased either would you really tell us???

"your right fella's, Valvoline's P1ssed Off,and I don't see why I should have to deal with this Cr@p!!"

I reckon a driver taking time out to post on a forum is top stuff! - but does the team line overpower the personal opinion????

Last edited by Phase3; 22 Jan 2003 at 13:22.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 19:18 (Ref:482704)   #22
pete55
Veteran

Well I'm pleased if Garth is pleased. As i've said before, Garry Rogers seems to be able to pick them. Not too many failures there.
I didn't think Garth would be a big head, we have enough of them there anyway (Well one obvious one anyway).
Old 23 Jan 2003, 09:33 (Ref:483265)   #23
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Thanks Garth, it's nice to hear from someone on the inside who knows the story. BTW, good luck for this year!
Old 5 Feb 2003, 06:28 (Ref:496935)   #24
Onlooker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth
Ladies, Gentleman PLEASE. Where did all this come from, someone says :

"So did Tander from all reports and is none to pleased with having to baby sit the new guy."

and now I am some bloke who forgot where I came from, has recieved a "HUGE" pay rise and is now a baby sitter.

For the record I am happy with GRM's choice in driver for the 35 car and am looking forward to working with Jamie for the next few years.

Also, the point made about Valvoline not being happy with the choice of driver for the 35 car is well off the mark. They were extremely happy with his efforts in the FF championship and also look forward to working with Jamie.
Whats going on Garth?Yes or No are you on the move or not. : :confused:
Old 5 Feb 2003, 07:59 (Ref:496998)   #25
Garth
Rookie

Garth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope, not that I know of!