Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2004, 03:05 (Ref:897638)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not a driver fan, but...

I have to "give a shout out" to Alonso. He drove an excellent race. He had no one around him yet was able to consistently set very competitive laps. This is not the reason for this post though it was the start of the race.

JPM saw how well the Renaults got off the line and attempted to block FA. FA ended up on the grass and still made the pass. If JPM had not done that he would not even had been close on the start. FA proceded to punish JPM by forcing him all the way to the other side of the track, keeping him there and then causing him to outbrake himself. A work of art! It reminded me of MS and his little bro.

Good job FA!!

Please this is light hearted. Dont start a war.

Last edited by neilap; 8 Mar 2004 at 03:11.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 03:14 (Ref:897640)   #2
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was nice to see FA in full attack mode.
Another impresive drive was Klien.To start at the back and finish 11th in your first GP is not bad.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 8 Mar 2004 at 03:15.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 07:33 (Ref:897731)   #3
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What impressed me about Alonso was him consistently lapping in 1:25s in first half of the race, which is approximately one second a lap faster than Trulli. This shows that Alonso pushed his car to its limit. A great start, banker laps, great drive.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:15 (Ref:897823)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extremely well done by Fernando(and what a pleasant surprise by renault!),i hope he tries as hard in every race.
As for FA and JPM at the start...I've looked at the tape many times and i *THINK* JPM was caught by surprise at FA comming up the outside (not sure though )
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:30 (Ref:897834)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeahhh a big shout out to Alonso. Great drive and a spectacular start. It does look like JPM was a bit surprised, yes.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:897858)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RWC.

I beleive JPM admits that FA gave him a problem at the start.

Good to see the "biter" getting "bit". Hope FA can keep up the momentum.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 10:20 (Ref:897873)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both Renaults got off the line extremely well, so I'm not sure it can strictly be attributed to the driver. I assume they are making fully manual starts, using the knowledge they gained about the starting procedure form writing their launch control software, and haven't found a semi-legal way to circumnavigate the rule.

In any case, Alonso's driving was impressive all race long, and his podium was richly deserved. It looks like another impressive season for him.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 11:07 (Ref:897917)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, even JB pointed out how suprisingly well the Renaults got off the line. I'm sure the FIA will be watching them as the year goes on.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 13:08 (Ref:898024)   #9
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was Alonso's pace after the start that impressed me. He really managed to break away and was by far the best Michelin runner. The next fastest was probably JPM, but his first-lap error and pit-stop problems meant that he was always playing catch-up. Hope Trulli and Ralf have beeter races at Sepang.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 13:22 (Ref:898041)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
You have to wonder why Ferrai, Williams and McLarens spies have'nt got those starts figured out. Last year they were sensational.

Dont have the lap charts, but did they ever loose a position off the start?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 13:27 (Ref:898050)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great starts by Renault, how it will take until some conspiracy theories come out ?
?
?
?
?
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:17 (Ref:898103)   #12
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What like the one where the Renaults TC kicks in before the designated 100 Kliks. Surely not.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:898107)   #13
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or the one where there is a 'special' engine map for the start, which changes to the normal racing map at the 100kph mark when TC becomes legal...
Old 8 Mar 2004, 14:49 (Ref:898118)   #14
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or when Flavio was in charge of benneton in 94 and they found an ILLEGAL traction control device! surely they wouldn't do this again now they are renault

FA was very good during the race but besides his performance why is it that EVERY other team is now investigating why they went so SLOW? surely after months of testing AND all the experience the y have in F1 they must now if the car will be quick or slow ? i'm dissapointed lets hope it's all down to the temperature and the tyres....otherwise I must just start watching the cricket instead......
Old 8 Mar 2004, 16:13 (Ref:898170)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Neilap, can't say that I thought JPM was blocking FA, more that FA had no where to go since JPM got off the line so slowly. JPM was already on the racing line. FA really didn't have much choice. Although FA pushing JPM wide right was a brilliant tactic. It only doubled JPM's dilema. Too bad the rest of the race was without excitement.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 16:18 (Ref:898174)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Pat Symonds has already come to the defence of his team stating that they have a "launch procedure" but its totally legal apparently.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 16:21 (Ref:898177)   #17
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiptop
Or when Flavio was in charge of benneton in 94 and they found an ILLEGAL traction control device! surely they wouldn't do this again now they are renault

FA was very good during the race but besides his performance why is it that EVERY other team is now investigating why they went so SLOW? surely after months of testing AND all the experience the y have in F1 they must now if the car will be quick or slow ? i'm dissapointed lets hope it's all down to the temperature and the tyres....otherwise I must just start watching the cricket instead......
I don't really have the time to read every team boss' comment on the race, but, as a fan, I allways read what Mac people say - they know what is wrong wiht the car (or, at least, that's how I understand their (Dennis&Haug) statements), but they are not sure they can make it work as it should in short time (whatever that ment since the car is in building process for app 16 months).
Old 8 Mar 2004, 17:30 (Ref:898264)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
Pat Symonds has already come to the defence of his team stating that they have a "launch procedure" but its totally legal apparently.
"Totally legal apparently", now that's something. Looks like it's illegal.
Old 8 Mar 2004, 17:42 (Ref:898282)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Neilap, can't say that I thought JPM was blocking FA...
I didn't either. After covering his line initially, when Montoya realised Alonso was going for that small gap he actually turned away from Alonso to give him more room!
Old 8 Mar 2004, 18:43 (Ref:898349)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very true Adam. I believe this picture shows that exactly.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040307/23/21i5.html
Old 8 Mar 2004, 23:23 (Ref:898786)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso did run very well, but I heard that Trulli got bumped by Sato, at the start, damaging his car only slightly, but enough to hamper his performance.

Did anyone else here this?

Danica Patrick
Old 8 Mar 2004, 23:36 (Ref:898793)   #22
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, his diffuser was damaged and he lacked grip.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 14:14 (Ref:899484)   #23
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's true, Sato confirmed it himself I'm pretty sure.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.