Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2516640)   #51
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
In the RLM commentary at Le Mans this year there was a segment talking about how it had been revoiced by someone other than Jason Statham (name escapes me at the moment) as this was one of the sticking points holding it back from anything other than a North American release. Obviously if there are wider rights issues involving the ACO then it's additionally complicated, but I'd have thought it would fall into the same sort of category as "Chasing the Dream" etc, and not cause too many headaches with them.

In the meantime there certainly are copies floating around, although most of them seem to have the slightly annoying ESPN ticker running along the bottom.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2516643)   #52
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
In the meantime there certainly are copies floating around, although most of them seem to have the slightly annoying ESPN ticker running along the bottom.
Yeah, I managed to make myself a watchable copy using the ESPN coverage, but I'd much rather own a "proper" copy. By the looks of it the DVD is only for sale through Audi at the moment, but hopefully Amazon.com will start selling it: that way it'll be easy to import.

Typical that with all the crap American films that get inflicted on us, the handful of decent ones ("Dust To Glory", "Truth in 24" etc.) are the ones we can't get hold of here!

"Chasing The Dream" isn't getting an official UK release, is it? I believe they are doing international shipping on it though?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2516718)   #53
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
"Chasing The Dream" isn't getting an official UK release, is it? I believe they are doing international shipping on it though?
I'm pretty sure both "Chasing the Dream" and "Lap of the Gods" are available in the UK or at the very least as Region 2 DVDs. They've also been shown on Motors (I think) a couple of times.

I still am bewildered at regional restrictions on what gets released where, at least I've enough US friends to get things shipped to but life would be a lot easier without the cutouts.
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2516729)   #54
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure both "Chasing the Dream" and "Lap of the Gods" are available in the UK or at the very least as Region 2 DVDs. They've also been shown on Motors (I think) a couple of times.
Ah, I've just realised, you're talking about the Le Mans "Chasing The Dream"? I'm thinking of another "Chasing The Dream"! Yeah, those two Le Mans documentaries are both commonly available, I've even seen "Lap of the Gods" in a couple of high street stores.

Something else thats shown on Motors TV - I need to get my finger out and get that channel. It would save me a lot of time trying to track films and motorsport coverage down on the internet!

Your US friends couldn't ship me a copy as well, could they?
Old 6 Aug 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2516736)   #55
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Motors isn't what it was a couple of years ago. When it had LMS, live ALMS, and ChampCar it was usually a good standby, either for live coverage or reruns. Now, unless you're seriously into Motocross it's a less persuasive argument.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2519185)   #56
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Motors isn't what it was a couple of years ago. When it had LMS, live ALMS, and ChampCar it was usually a good standby, either for live coverage or reruns. Now, unless you're seriously into Motocross it's a less persuasive argument.
I second that. It's mostly mudmotoring now or very obscure trackbike races. Aah,the days they still aired japanese SuperGT...
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2520081)   #57
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
I second that. It's mostly mudmotoring now or very obscure trackbike races. Aah,the days they still aired japanese SuperGT...
The used to show Super GT as well?! Bugger! I've never seen that on TV! Its always been on low quality videos or snippets I've nabbed off the internet.

Still, if its not on anymore then I guess I shouldn't get excited. I keep seeing Motors TV mentioned with regards to rallycross, so I'd like to get it for that though, by the sounds of it, thats about the only decent thing on there.

Back on topic: Managed to track down an old school friend who lives in the US, so my copy of "Truth..." is in the post - hurrah!
Old 14 Aug 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2521253)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In the RLM commentary at Le Mans this year there was a segment talking about how it had been revoiced by someone other than Jason Statham.
I remember that. They interviewed the guy but for the life of me I can't remember who it was......
Old 15 Aug 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2521945)   #59
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have seen mention that on the Midweek Motorsport Group on Facebook that it has been re-voiced by Eurosports Moto GP commentator Toby Moody.
Old 15 Aug 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2521954)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the one !
Old 25 Aug 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2527741)   #61
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Might the DVD be region code free? Sadly I've got a player that can't be unlocked...
Old 3 Sep 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2533849)   #62
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Might the DVD be region code free? Sadly I've got a player that can't be unlocked...
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive - when it does I'll let you know!
Old 3 Sep 2009, 22:04 (Ref:2534110)   #63
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Someone on the MWM Listener's Collective told me it was Region 0, so I bought it off ebay...haven't got it yet either though
Old 7 Sep 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2535714)   #64
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Someone on the MWM Listener's Collective told me it was Region 0, so I bought it off ebay...haven't got it yet either though
My copy arrived Saturday! Don't expect anything fancy from the DVD - its the film and thats it, they didn't even give it a fancy menu!

I've only tried it in unlocked DVD players, so I can't confirm the Region coding of the disc yet.
Old 28 May 2010, 03:53 (Ref:2699693)   #65
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought the Truth in 24 from the Audi USA website several months ago.

I watched it several weeks ago, and plan on watching it again in the coming weeks before this year’s Le Mans.

My question to you all (particularly the US crowd) is did you feel that it was a bit different than the version that was broadcast on TV? Seemed to me that it was slightly different than the version broadcast on Speed channel and ESPN. There were certainly more F-bombs in the DVD, and I think more scenes that were re-cut so to speak.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Am I missing something? Overall still a good flick, just different than what I remembered from the broadcast. Maybe it was the lack of commercials or something?
Old 28 May 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2699705)   #66
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi seemed to be reaching for a PG rating on the film and TV versions. They probably wanted to save the "director's cut" version for the DVD.
Old 28 May 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2700045)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can certainly recall plenty of f-ing and blinding in my copy - which is the original that I've had for many months now.
Old 18 Jun 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2714317)   #68
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to jump in, brought a copy the other week from an Audi dealer in the states... initally thought the cost a bit on the high side (think I've spent nigh on $40 to get it!) but having watched it through, have to say exceptionally worth it!

Brilliant to get an such an open view into the workings of the Audi machine, particularly highlight being the discussion between TK and H regarding the inters call... really gives a brilliant insight into the relationship between drivers and engineers.

Ed
Old 10 Jul 2010, 00:08 (Ref:2724247)   #69
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Finally saw it. I expected more. I liked the first half of the film, after the race started, it kind of fell flat and I actually think it could have been a bit shorter. I know it is more tailored for the Average Joe or James and since I had seen the race and knew the result, obviously it wasn't as exciting as it was probably meant to be. The insight and hearing the radio communication was nice.

Cinematography could have been better. Too quick cuts and repetitive views. The scenery around the track certainly offers so much more. Other classes and cars weren't shown a lot and I think this affected the atmosphere too.

I'd give 3 stars out of 5. I rate this as a document.

ps. Intersport also made a new one called "Racing into Darkness" during Sebring in May.

Last edited by deggis; 10 Jul 2010 at 00:13.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 02:05 (Ref:2724268)   #70
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Finally saw it. I expected more. I liked the first half of the film, after the race started, it kind of fell flat and I actually think it could have been a bit shorter. I know it is more tailored for the Average Joe or James and since I had seen the race and knew the result, obviously it wasn't as exciting as it was probably meant to be. The insight and hearing the radio communication was nice.

Cinematography could have been better. Too quick cuts and repetitive views. The scenery around the track certainly offers so much more. Other classes and cars weren't shown a lot and I think this affected the atmosphere too.

I'd give 3 stars out of 5. I rate this as a document.

ps. Intersport also made a new one called "Racing into Darkness" during Sebring in May.
Racing in Darkness is worse, IMO. This is gonna sound ridiculous but without Statham, it seems too much like a documentary.
Old 10 Jul 2010, 07:32 (Ref:2724309)   #71
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Other classes and cars weren't shown a lot and I think this affected the atmosphere too.
I don't think we can really be surprised at that - it is Audi's film, after all.....
Old 11 Jul 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2725120)   #72
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I don't think we can really be surprised at that - it is Audi's film, after all.....
Indeed but couple of sights here and there wouldn't have hurt. I know there are 50+ cars. Yet I got the feeling there were Audis, Pugs and couple of other cars. How confusing it must be for "Average Joe".

Quote:
ps. Intersport also made a new one called "Racing into Darkness" during Laguna Seca in May.
Fixed
Old 12 Jul 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2725623)   #73
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
True about the 'Average Joe', but then was it a DVD aimed at the average Joe who just wanted to know about Le Mans generally? As someone not exactly renowned as an Audi fan, I still found it very entertaining and have watched it again several times.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2745396)   #74
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
As someone who hates movies, I rather enjoy watching this one. Its the closest I can get to the 24 atmosphere on a limited income. Ive made it to Sebring since 2005, so it was cool to see those cars on a grander scale, and to see the shout out to Sebring, lol. Fun fact, I was behind one of the shots when they had to replace the turbo. I have a picture from outside the tent when the take the rear bonnet off. The music is awesome and makes daily life feel that much more important. Nest time you're driving down the highway, try humming the tune that's playing when Statham says, "Lady Luck's got nothing on the great Dane."
Old 20 May 2011, 06:32 (Ref:2882947)   #75
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
As someone who is totally incompetent when it comes to computers, I never managed to get a copy from the States, so was very pleased to find
http://sportscararchives.com/videos/lemans/truth-in-24/
where there's the full 90+ minutes, albeit with continuous baseball/basketball/football scores at the bottom of the page.