Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:00 (Ref:765840)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTCC teams to run SCV8 cars.

Team Dynamics, Team Varta and VLR have signed for the new SCV8 Series.

Dynamics have elected to use the Jaguar bodyshell, with Varta choosing the Vectra, and VLR a Peugoet 407 body.

These look to be plans in addition to the BTCC, not instead of before panic sets in !

Details here:http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=25145&s=14
Old 28 Oct 2003, 16:48 (Ref:765878)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Is there a official SCV8 website?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:33 (Ref:765927)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really? I've always been under the impression that these teams were committed and financially stretched to race in the BTCC. Now, they are fielding teams in the SCV8? Could this mean they may jump before the BTCC season starts. The '04 BTCC season hasn't started so they could still jump over? Or at least in the very near future?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:34 (Ref:765929)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'd be very surprised to see at least one of the teams mentioned in the BTCC next season anyway.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:41 (Ref:765939)   #5
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be Varta then Craig?

Well to be honest with you, you'll be lucky if SCV8 works out anyway! Another series the country does not need.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:43 (Ref:765940)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I won't elaborate on my earlier comment. And I'll not go into details of why either.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:44 (Ref:765942)   #7
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
Really? I've always been under the impression that these teams were committed and financially stretched to race in the BTCC. Now, they are fielding teams in the SCV8? Could this mean they may jump before the BTCC season starts. The '04 BTCC season hasn't started so they could still jump over? Or at least in the very near future?
It's an interesting development, both in terms of SCV8 and next year's BTCC- presumably these teams must have either a new sponsor for an SCV8 programme who wasn't interested in BTCC, and existing one who wished to either cross over to the new series or extend their involvement, or have paying drivers who've brought sponsorship for their SCV8 programmes

So could SCV8 be something that will affect the BTCC next season?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 17:46 (Ref:765946)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
That would be Varta then Craig?

Well to be honest with you, you'll be lucky if SCV8 works out anyway! Another series the country does not need.
3 current BTCC teams making plans to do it does give it more credibility than it had when it was first announced- maybe this one is going to be viable after all....
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:17 (Ref:766558)   #9
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I read elsewhere that it was Varta, VLR & Dynamics - but have no personal evidence either way.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:37 (Ref:766573)   #10
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if "team varta" are racing in SCV8 I hope the scruteneers check the engine seals very closely and at regular intervals after they were found to be deliberatly running ineligible engines in the btcc.

Last edited by El_Gibleto; 29 Oct 2003 at 07:40.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 07:55 (Ref:766590)   #11
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
I read elsewhere that it was Varta, VLR & Dynamics - but have no personal evidence either way.
See Autosport online for confirmation of Varta, VLR & Dymanics.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:43 (Ref:766732)   #12
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be, of course, that the teams mentioned will merely build the cars for other teams. As a commercial operation, if you like, although Craig has effectively said that Varta won't be in the BTCC next year ...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:52 (Ref:766744)   #13
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Gibleto
Well if "team varta" are racing in SCV8 I hope the scruteneers check the engine seals very closely and at regular intervals after they were found to be deliberatly running ineligible engines in the btcc.
I'd guess that kind of thing will be under very close scrutiny- otherwise there's no point in everyone being supplied with the same engine package....
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:56 (Ref:766749)   #14
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Apex
Could be, of course, that the teams mentioned will merely build the cars for other teams. As a commercial operation, if you like, although Craig has effectively said that Varta won't be in the BTCC next year ...
If I've understood this correctly, the way it appears to work is that if VLR, Varta and TD have bought into the franchises to build the cars, then they can each sell up to 2 of the 4 they'll build to other teams- they'll still need to run 2 themselves though

The way the franchise works is mentioned in this article from a couple of months back when Honda approved the use of the Accord -

http://www.pistonheads.com/motorspor...p?storyId=7203

Last edited by KA; 29 Oct 2003 at 10:56.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 12:34 (Ref:766865)   #15
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Gibleto
I think you'll find that Team Varta have not been found guilty of deliberately running ineligible engines - that would b e a major thing and would probably have led to them being excluded totally. They were found to have an anomally in the pistons in one engine at one (possibly two) meetings. Not quite the same thing and something that can happen at an engine builders.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:10 (Ref:766906)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Actually I suspect that these might be just what we do need, preferably in substitution for some other boring, processional, poorly supported series which ought to have been shot long ago. (and No, I'm not going to identify my candidates for that. )

Reports from friends who have seen Andy Rouse testing one of the cars suggest that this could lead to racing. Just at the moment we need more of that.

Yes, I do accept that endless new formulae tend to dilute the money and hence numbers and support, I'm just arguing that this looks a good candidate for success. It needs the numbers though. Perhaps they ought to be content to run with another series until numbers get to, say, 20?

Regards

Jim
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:21 (Ref:766921)   #17
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
both team dynamics and vlr have entrys in motorsport other than the btcc so their invovlment with the scv8 wouldn't harm their btcc entry.

Plus dynamics have bought to ex works civics for 04
and Vlr probably want to get the potentional out of those 307s.

no sure about varta they did originally say they where entering a four car team for the 04 btcc, but its all gone a bit quite and the websites gone.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 13:34 (Ref:766936)   #18
racingdad
Veteran

Varta were also supposed to be doing something with Xcel in the Clio Winter Series leading to a funded drive in the BTCC - Xcel sold their 4 cars, so that's obviously not happening. Maybe Xcel will run Varta's cars in the SCV8 series???
Old 29 Oct 2003, 18:54 (Ref:767262)   #19
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
Is there a official SCV8 website?
Yep there is, although its still a work in progress. www.scv8.co.uk
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:03 (Ref:767266)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This NASCAR/Aussie V8Supercar hybrid may be a big stumbler if they can get their act together, with soo many touring car type series running how does anyone think to stand out? ASCAR should take a dive, and let the SCV8 do the ovals as well, they use similar engines and chassis don't they?
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:42 (Ref:767302)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Yep there is, although its still a work in progress. www.scv8.co.uk
Quote:
www.scv8.co.ukSite currently under development by MSO for launch during October.
They have only 2 days to complete...

Thanks for the link!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 19:46 (Ref:767310)   #22
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
mso do quite a few drivers sites including Wilson and McNish, so probably look similar
Old 30 Oct 2003, 13:54 (Ref:768085)   #23
KA
Veteran

According to Autosport, Steve Neal is looking 'for drivers with budgets' (who isn't these days....?), so it looks as if nothings signed and sealed on that front yet
Old 30 Oct 2003, 19:44 (Ref:768393)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only problem I see about SCV8 is that people will put it down with no reason except that they are BTCC fans and don't want to see it hard done by.. OK it may be that "other series we don't need", but maybe it is that special one that we do need?

But at the end of the day, it'll be the fans who determine which is more succesful. If the SCV8 series is mega succesful it isn't because of some silly magic-ness, it's down to those thousands of feet that could be walking through a circuit gate..
Old 31 Oct 2003, 22:40 (Ref:769711)   #25
Spaced Invader
Racer

England
Attleborough, Norfolk
Spaced Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
The only problem I see about SCV8 is that people will put it down with no reason except that they are BTCC fans and don't want to see it hard done by.. OK it may be that "other series we don't need", but maybe it is that special one that we do need?

But at the end of the day, it'll be the fans who determine which is more succesful. If the SCV8 series is mega succesful it isn't because of some silly magic-ness, it's down to those thousands of feet that could be walking through a circuit gate..
spot on. what this country is crying out for is a tin top series to rival that of the DTM and Aussie V8 series. i will be watching and praying that the SCV8 is a success, but can also run along side the BTCC without comparisons.