Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Which GT2 car will be the best car in 2007?
Porsche 997 GT3-RSR 30 37.97%
Ferrari 430 GT2 36 45.57%
Panoz Esperante GTLM 3 3.80%
Spyker C8 Spyder GT2-R 6 7.59%
Other 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 Apr 2007, 18:39 (Ref:1886575)   #51
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcush.
really ,the concept of the Ferrari is a lot better than the Porsche.Who would build a rear engined car todays???
Plus ,you can´t really fit a diffuser below the engine of the porsche.So comparing those two concepts I´d put my money on the ferrari.
It remains to be seen ,if Porsche can overcome all the drawbacks:Mcpherson suspension ,diffusser,polar moment of inertia,poor drag due to bigger wing necessary...with their development.
So what you're basicly saying is that the 997 is such a bad car to start with, the Ferrari should be miles ahead cause their basic car is just miles ahead already on the drawing board?
I guess that can only mean one thing, the engineers at Porsche just has to be miles ahead of any engineer over at that little red house down in Maranello to be able to make such a bad car go so freakin fast that it can keep up with the F430 on any given sunday, eh?

Nah, but seriously, who said the drag coefficient of the 997 even with the big wing is worse then the one of the F430? I highly doubt that to be honest, the road car has a drag coefficient of 0.28 (if my memory doesnt fail me) while the F430 road car has 0.33. The polar moment problem is almost overcome and the diffuser is still there and I'm not sure if its that much smaller then the one of the F430, remember, the diffusers arent allowed to be taht big in GT2, in comparison to GT1 where they are huge. And besides, cause the enigne is at the back you dont have the same need for a big diffuser, you still have a s*it load of grip in the rear while accelerating.

Really marcush, I cant see any valid points in your post at all.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1886588)   #52
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well i think after a few races when the porsche teams are used to the car we will see the porsche being more and more competitive and being a porsche will be fairly reliable. in my personal opinion i think the porsche is a better car because of its looks and sounds. dont forget the ferrari has had a year of development in competition whilst the porsche is relatively new

as for the spyker and panoz i think theyll always be on the heals of the porsche and ferrari and in the longer races might claim a few scalps but i dont see a spyker or a panoz wining race after race despite the professionalism of the teams running them.

Last edited by tux; 8 Apr 2007 at 19:01.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1886589)   #53
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't Porsche not put a diffuser on the 911 as there'd be problems with that?
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1886596)   #54
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche 997 GT3 RSR
Ferrari F430 GT

Heres 2 good shots at the rear diffusers of the 2 cars, as you can see both are almost non existing, yet they are there. In my eyes anyway they are almost identical and both uses flat floors, one shouldn't be better then the other.

PS. I hope you mods doesnt have any problem with me posting those URLs.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 19:10 (Ref:1886601)   #55
bil588
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Z06 Corvette! LG Motorsports ALMS and Markland Racing in the LMS! Only because it is my favorite and it's to close to call between the 997's and 430's. I know they need some shaking out but one can hope they will be competitive soon!

L.P.
the lg project has been put on hold, but the Z06 of Markland will be revised (from its Paul Ricard outing) for the 1,000 km of Monza this month.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 22:36 (Ref:1886816)   #56
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
Irish .. scottish .. same thing

the 430 almost won first time out Sebring as well in 2006.. was setting the pace .. wheel nut problems again .
Oh I think Foggy spends his weekends trying to pick my post apart.

Man, '06 has alot to do with '07. The only thing that has changed is Porsche introduction of a new car, which so far is 1-2 in events this season, while Ferrari was 2-1 out of 3 events run.

The 997 might have more outright speed, but Le Mans has turned into a twisty track connected by muted straights, the Porsche' advantage isn't as big as it could be and we might only be talking about as little as 10hp more in the 997 over the Ferrari, but the Ferrari I would say just being a larger engine (and 2 cylinders more) makes more torque.

On the twisty nature of US tracks that makes the 430 HARD TO BEAT.

Its just as formible in Europe, so I stand by my post, that what they were able to learn about the car LAST year, carries over into this season and its the car to beat, period.
Old 9 Apr 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1886975)   #57
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Irish .. scottish .. same thing

the 430 almost won first time out Sebring as well in 2006.. was setting the pace .. wheel nut problems again .
I suppose being Romanian is the same as being Russian then mate !!!

I guess the "Irish" Ferrari is ment to mean the Tim Mullen car , cuz he "is" Irish , not Scottish .
Old 9 Apr 2007, 05:47 (Ref:1886976)   #58
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
the best chance for a 997 to beat the 430 consistently is LMS only there the 997 teams look stronger .. in ALMS the teams are quite equal although PWL lost Enge .. ..
But they got Muller instead .
Old 9 Apr 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1887016)   #59
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I suppose being Romanian is the same as being Russian then mate !!!

I guess the "Irish" Ferrari is ment to mean the Tim Mullen car , cuz he "is" Irish , not Scottish .
No I mean the Escose Ferrari which I SUPPOSE is Scottish, but I'm identified as an African-American, I can't escape the "Africa" tie-in now can I?

I could say the "The Canadian/Geek guy's Ferrari" but that's pretty VAGUE if you ask me.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1891532)   #60
slicktsax
Racer

slicktsax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well the reason why the 430 is doing so well is besides the year of development from 06' it also had the foundation and development work lade down by the 360gt. today during the alms long beach race anthony lazzaro in an inteview said that a lot of the work was done in the 360gt trying to beat teh porsches. remember he was with Risi when they first campained the 360 at the end of 2002. also during an interview in the st. petersberg race one 430 driver said that the car is really easy to drive and doesnt have a steep learning curve at all to drive. the porsche on the other hand being rear engine is a different beast to drive. is it a bad car not at all is the 430 a better car overall. so far i'd say yes. look at the results it's one all the alms races this year as well as half of them last year. it one the first fia gt race this year. now it's true the porsche is on pole for this weekend's lms race so we will see. it also comes down to strategy and luck. the 997 is faster in a straight line than the ferrari. i believe it will struggle more at lemans this year as the 997 has better aero for straightline speed. the panoz once again has a new team and new tires. remember ptg was used to having a car that handled very well but was slow in a straight line with the M3's. now they have to get used to a car with straightline speed as well as a shock package from mulitmatic. panoz was 3rd at st petersberg and ran as high as 3rd in long beach but placed 4th. they are improving each race. the spyker. i like that car. it ran as high as 4th at sebring before engine problems i think it was forced them to retire. they admitted that they dont have as much power as they would like. a little more engine development and they could be really challenging for wins. now for the Z06 in the LMS. they are a private team doing all the development work so they will take a while to get even close to the others. the car has potential as it is a vette and the vettes have been the car to beat at lemans in GT1 and alms. hech if an older c5 can still run with the new c6 and astons that alone should tell you how much potential the car has. but for now. my pick is the 430.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:45 (Ref:1891550)   #61
bil588
Veteran

United States
P&M should ditch GT1 and go with GT2 customer cars.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1891556)   #62
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Salo was in fuel save mode and still won by a sizable margin...

I believe the Ferrari is pretty fast in a straightline. After all, Escose didn't just do it on HANDLING alone on a track that is unquestably a HP dominated track.

Okay the 997 might be LITTLE faster in a straight line, but if its loosing it on balance in the turns, uhm they'll be fast at Le Mans no question but with a year of development ahead of them, Ferrari's will be the car to beat at least until later in the season and who said Ferrari is just STANDING AROUND???

Expect some aero "mods" by the time we hit Le Mans test days...

The Panoz is a darkhorse in GT2 remember that, its no slug!

I believe LNT will PUSH this year instead of being conservative they know the car can finish a 24hour event. Elan gives them respectable power and that track SUITS the Panoz just fine, it handles the straights with the best of them..
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:45 (Ref:1891557)   #63
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
P&M should ditch GT1 and go with GT2 customer cars.
Why not get Gary Pratt on the horn and tell them how you REALLY feel...