Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 6 Aug 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2264812)   #1
jonabonospen
Rookie

jonabonospen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New To Track Days - Looking for some advice

Hi guys and gals. I'm just in the process of trying to get myself a track day car for the first time and wondering what peoples advice may be.

I have a caterham style custom dutton kit car at the moment which i bought on a whim and unfortunately i dont fit it too well (too many pies i think) so i want to get rid of the Dutton and get a suitable track-only car (have a 54 plate BMW 525d for daily driver). Been looking at maybe a 306 GTI-6 or better a Mitsubishi Evo2. Whats anyones opinions on what car to get?

Should i get a standard car to start with? or something with a roll cage and race seats already in?

Also, i am from Leeds area in West Yorkshire so where are the best local places to me for track days and airfield days (think i may be best at airfield days first of all)?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2337771)   #2
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat belated reply!

First time out - take it easy! If you break it you blow the day and get the cost fixing the damage...Cold track, cold car, new layout, poor recall - anyone can send you home early.

I marshal, so get to watch lots of different makes and models. Stay away from Evo's - seen a good few old ones go bang, and hauled news ones out of the gravel. Nice little 306 should give you lots of fun. You are likely to end up in a group that matches the car and your speed.

You aint racing so why now you need a roll-cage? It is unlikely that you will hit anything hard enough to need the protection, and at this stage I doubt you will need to stiffen the body. Also you will crack your head on the roll cage!

Race seat and belts - are you going so fast you will need that? I feel that those with the extra kit tend to push the car past the drivers limit and go beyond the simple spin and test the gravel or wall!

Airfields are flat. Most tracks have hills! Cadwell Park is well worth the drive. Donington is a couple of hours on the M1. Mallory another 30/40 minutes.

Airfield days tend to be cheaper!
Old 20 Nov 2008, 16:45 (Ref:2338387)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok,

Just to clarify what our friend says. A roll cage in a racing saloon is used to stiffen the car but it is also there to stop the roof of the car crushing the occupant's neck (this is what happened to Sir Frank Williams when he crashed a hire car in France), so if you are going to put a car on a track fit a roll cage. You can get them with removable cross braces so that rear seat passengers can fit in during normal journeys.

However fitting one creates its own problems.

Cars are generally soft inside so when you stick a lump of cold steel into the cabin you remove the softness. Hence get a helmet and wear it, but make sure it isn't a bike helmet because these are not designed to protect in case of contact with a roll cage.

My personal recommendation is to fit a harness but if you do, fit a solid backed seat not a recliner because you'll be putting a big strain on the top of the seat back and will risk breaking the hinge.

You can see my findings re safety in touring cars HERE so do what is best and enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 20 Nov 2008 at 16:50.