Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Mar 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1880641)   #1
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GT - Oulton Park Thread

I've just been checking out the timetable for Monday the 9th and noticed that there's no Caterhams!

All their races are on the Saturday, and instead everyone in attendance on Monday will get "treated" to 3 races of Formula Ford in compensation.
PROVISIONAL TIMETABLE FOR Rounds 1 & 2

2007 Avon Tyres British GT Championship

SATURDAY 7th April

08:30 Caterham Qualifying – 20 mins
09:00 British GT Practice - 75 mins
10:30 T Cars Qualifying – 20mins
11:00 Ginetta Qualifying - 35mins
11:50 British F3 - Q1 Qualifying – 30mins
12:35 Caterham - R1 Race 1
13:05 LUNCH – 40 mins
13:45 British GT - Q1 Qualifying – 15mins
14:15 British GT - Q2 Qualifying – 15mins
14:45 T Cars - R1 Race 2
15:10 Caterham - R2 Race 3
15:55 British F3 - Q2 Qualifying – 30mins
16:40 T Cars - R2 Race 4
17:20 Avon Tyres British GT Championship – Round 1

MONDAY 9th April

08:30 UK Formula Ford Qualifying - 20 mins
09:05 VW Cup Qualifying - 20 mins
09:40 British GT Warm Up - 10mins
10:00 Ginetta - R1 Race 6
10:45 Lloyds TSB Insurance British F3 International Series – Round 1
11:30 VW Cup - R1
12:05 UK Formula Ford - R1
12:23 LUNCH
13:10 Ginetta - R2 Race 10
14:00 Avon Tyres British GT Championship – Round 2
15:15 UK Formula Ford - R2 Race 12
16:00 Lloyds TSB Insurance British F3 International Series – Round 2
16:45 Ginetta - R3 Race 14
17:25 VW Cup - R2 Race 15
18:00 UK Formula Ford - R3 Race 16
I'm still wavering on whether to go, but the lack of Caterham's doesn't help my decision as they provided some good racing last year.

Anybody else going?
Old 31 Mar 2007, 20:13 (Ref:1880661)   #2
Dragaan
Rookie

Dragaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can bet your bottom euro that I'm going! In fact, I'll be camping there from Friday. The whole weekend is so fantastic, and having the Sunday off allows you to wander around the paddock in relative peace, or disappear away for the day sightseeing.

Also, the cars that are going to be racing make it more than worthwhile. The GT lineup is exciting and also James Hunts son is casting his lot into the F3 arena. Of all the envents going, I thing the BGT weekend is by far and away the best, especially for the openess and friendliness of the teams (the two main exception to that wont be there anyway.

I'd say go, and enjoy it!
Old 31 Mar 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1880673)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm going

Oulton is always a good season opener, hopefully the weather will be good.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 06:30 (Ref:1880888)   #4
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragaan
The GT lineup is exciting and also James Hunts son is casting his lot into the F3 arena.
There will be Greg and Leo Mansell too.

I'll be there on the Monday, all being well. I'm another one who's a little gutted to be missing the Caterhams, they always provide lots of entertaining racing. Also a shame the Heritage GT/tourers aren't on the F3/GT bill this year, there was some truly mouth-watering machinery on display last year.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 13:20 (Ref:1881075)   #5
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant wait for oulton, the official start to the british motorsport season imo apart from the BTCC.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1881089)   #6
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We should be there with the #17 Viper. Drop by for a chat if you get a chance (not sure what garage we are in).

I think the Heritage GTs are at Donington for the second round (they are certainly listed on the test day on the 19th...)

Archibold
Old 1 Apr 2007, 15:15 (Ref:1881124)   #7
macsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
macsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...and also James Hunts son is casting his lot into the F3 arena.
I think that should read Formula Ford not F3, whereas the Mansells are doing BF3 this season. Hopefully Freddie will make th estep up to BF3 in 2008 and that will make another famous name in the world's leading Formula 3 series.

I agree though that this is going to be a great start to the season.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1881595)   #8
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Also a shame the Heritage GT/tourers aren't on the F3/GT bill this year, there was some truly mouth-watering machinery on display last year.
Bah, I'd forgotten about them as well, now that's 2 reasons not to go this year.

I wonder how many people will bother to stick around until 6pm on Monday, I think the only spectators will be some rather irritable driver's Dad's plus a few local Squirrels.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 05:57 (Ref:1881693)   #9
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibold
We should be there with the #17 Viper. Drop by for a chat if you get a chance (not sure what garage we are in).

I think the Heritage GTs are at Donington for the second round (they are certainly listed on the test day on the 19th...)

Archibold
Is that the rather tasty-looking blue one? Gave me some rather fond memories of previous BGT years when I first clapped eyes on that! Vipers back in BGT - love it!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 08:11 (Ref:1881760)   #10
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
Is that the rather tasty-looking blue one?
Yep, its this one TNB, all ready and waiting to see the final sponsors in order to add it to our BGT mod

Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1881840)   #11
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
Bah, I'd forgotten about them as well, now that's 2 reasons not to go this year.

I wonder how many people will bother to stick around until 6pm on Monday, I think the only spectators will be some rather irritable driver's Dad's plus a few local Squirrels.
AND us marshals!!!! Im new to that side of the fence this year but even if I wernt Id still be there untill it finished !
Old 2 Apr 2007, 12:33 (Ref:1881923)   #12
Rob974y
Rookie

Rob974y should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and the wife will be there for the weekend, hired a motorhome due to the ups and downs of british weather, really looking forward to it, Archibolds Viper has been used as the oulton park header for this event, looks awesome!!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1882355)   #13
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob974y
Archibolds Viper has been used as the oulton park header for this event, looks awesome!!
You're darn tootin right on that one!

As for anyone else lamenting the lack of Caterhams on Monday, well I have to agree that its a shame, but at the same time I can only encourage you to camp over for the weekend. Round 1 last year was my first ever race event and the first time we'd been camping (me, my wife and 3 under 10's) My wife was SOOOO looking forward to it (not!) In fact her words were along the lines of 'Oh, Whoopee. A weekend of watching cars going 'vroom vroom'!' with a heavy layer of sarcasm thrown in. However, the reality was that we arrived on the Saturday as the GT cars were running and I very soon found myself trying to pitch the tent by myself as my wife was mesmerised by the cars!

Camp if you can. Its a tremendous experience to be sat near your tent, 20ft from the track with a beer in one hand, a bbq sizzling away near the other and a very happy and contented family with you. I'll be arriving on Friday this year. Its just a shame about the rules that you cant setup camp until 6pm.

Oh, BTW Rob, the camping this year is soley on the left as you drive in, where the caravans were last year. The right hand side near coppice where I was last year is being used for parking.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 01:01 (Ref:1882388)   #14
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spoke to a friend tonight and I think we'll be going Saturday, mainly for the afternoon stuff.

It's only a tenner and it's got most of what I want to see, as I just can't bring myself to face 3 Formula Ford races on Monday.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 06:17 (Ref:1882449)   #15
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
I just can't bring myself to face 3 Formula Ford races on Monday.
Oh, they're actually races now, are they!?

Quote:
As for anyone else lamenting the lack of Caterhams on Monday, well I have to agree that its a shame, but at the same time I can only encourage you to camp over for the weekend. Round 1 last year was my first ever race event and the first time we'd been camping (me, my wife and 3 under 10's) My wife was SOOOO looking forward to it (not!) In fact her words were along the lines of 'Oh, Whoopee. A weekend of watching cars going 'vroom vroom'!' with a heavy layer of sarcasm thrown in. However, the reality was that we arrived on the Saturday as the GT cars were running and I very soon found myself trying to pitch the tent by myself as my wife was mesmerised by the cars!
Y'know one part of going with people new to sportscar meetings is the awe on their faces when they realise just how fantastic it is. I remember BGT at Donington in 2000 we made it a family day out, which included my mum, albeit reluctantly. As if the prospect of watching cars all day wasn't bad enough for her, we had the huge thunderstorm to contend with too in the middle of the day. Still, when the GT race got underway, all she could say was "wow!" (and what a great grid we had that day, too!).

I've subsequently taken friends along on occasions, and as soon as the first rumbly V8 comes along (we're talking Ultimas and Corvettes on these occasions) their jaws simply drop in awe.

Anyway, back on topic, DSC reports Thomas Erdos joining Stephen Keating in a Damax Ascari - gives us three KZ1R's on the grid now. Erdos back in BGT is great news, but I don't know much about Keating - are we likely to see wins from these guys at some point in the season?
Old 4 Apr 2007, 21:53 (Ref:1883688)   #16
Tim Dunlop
Racer

England
Derby, United Kingdom
Tim Dunlop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there,

Spent an hour at Oulton Park this afternoon spectating at their general test.

Am planning on going to Oulton Park again on Saturday for the British GT but thought I would have a look at what was out on track today.

Some of the British GT cars were getting in some early practice.

Team Damax - Ascari's

Team Eurotech - Ascari

David Dove Racing - Ferrari 360 Modena

VRS Motor Finance - Ferrari F430 (sorry picture not as sharp as I would have liked)

More pics to follow after my visit on Saturday.

Regards

Tim
Old 4 Apr 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1883726)   #17
Dragaan
Rookie

Nice pics Tim. If you see a big guy with glasses trundling around in a wheelchair, possibly in a jumper with www.madigitalmedia.com on it come and say Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob974y
Me and the wife will be there for the weekend, hired a motorhome due to the ups and downs of british weather, really looking forward to it
Something I just thought of. Get there as early as you can. The camping this year is on the left of the entrance toward Deer Leap. The ground near there is VERY sloped and I saw some caravans there last year at some pretty steep angles. If you get there early enough you can bag the flat land. The land to the right of the entrance is being used as a car park. Pitching up is from 6pm Friday onwards. As for the weather, its looking like being a cracking weekend. Not a bank holiday at all!
Old 5 Apr 2007, 07:02 (Ref:1883841)   #18
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
Quote:
As for the weather, its looking like being a cracking weekend. Not a bank holiday at all!
Oh I do hope the forecast stays that way!
Old 5 Apr 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1884082)   #19
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dunlop
Hi there,

Spent an hour at Oulton Park this afternoon spectating at their general test.

Am planning on going to Oulton Park again on Saturday for the British GT but thought I would have a look at what was out on track today.

Some of the British GT cars were getting in some early practice.

Team Damax - Ascari's

Team Eurotech - Ascari

David Dove Racing - Ferrari 360 Modena

VRS Motor Finance - Ferrari F430 (sorry picture not as sharp as I would have liked)

More pics to follow after my visit on Saturday.

Regards

Tim
forgive me for idiocy but what the BEEP is that on the back of the ferrari 430 on the exhaust pipes??

and newbob i live an hour from oulton and so far so good the weather is terrific although a bit chilly.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1884106)   #20
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing exhaust silencers, they run them here in Australia on the 360GT(s)

have to sit and wait for the results and highlights on the net
Old 5 Apr 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1884122)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
kk, well i hope those exhaust silencers fall of because they look bloody hideous to say the least
Old 5 Apr 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1884212)   #22
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is a seperate British GT thread so I thought I would post this here. Whilst the Modena Gallardo won't be competing at Oulton this weekend due to late delivery from Reiter they will be at Donington. The Team Modena website has a sneak peak at the cars livery and IMHO it looks absolutely superb. http://teammodena.com/

The Championship also has a breand new website Much improved on the previuos version. http://www.britishgt.com/
Old 5 Apr 2007, 15:14 (Ref:1884224)   #23
Dragaan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
I'm guessing exhaust silencers,
They had them on at Silverstone too, although these ones look a whole lot better. The ones at Silverstone made the car look like they had a pair of blunderbuses aiming out the back! Maybe that was the point. Drivers behind didnt know if they were going to get shot with a scattergun if they tried to overtake!

Oh, and TheNewBob, I don't think you need to worry about the weather

Last edited by Dragaan; 5 Apr 2007 at 15:21.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1884340)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looking forward to this one, I will be there Saturday and Monday.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 20:03 (Ref:1884407)   #25
archibold
Racer

United Kingdom
London
archibold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are additional silncers on the back of the 'rarri (the ascaris were running them as well but more subtle). Basically Wedndsdays test was 105dB against the 111dB for the actual race weekend and as I we have found out previously an Oulton Parl 105 is a lot less than some other circuits so you ahve to be careful. Testing is really expensive now so you don't want to be sent home or spend half the day lifting/making the car quieter.

Thanks for the compliments on the Viper, we think it's pretty It's our first weekend in GTs so looking to get experience and then try to get the car on the ultimate pace as the season unfolds.

Archibold