Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 22 Sep 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3674295)   #1
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
2017 WEC calendar

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-revealed.html

Nothing new to see here, for better or worse.

Prologue moves to Monza, which seems a little strange, but fair enough. Would be interesting if they'd remove the chicane for the test days.

Other than that, still the same Tilke-tastic calendar as ever; for me, I can't wait for Spa and Le Mans, of course, Nurburgring and Fuji have interesting potential and the others struggle to hold any interest for me.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 17:35 (Ref:3674301)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
COTA is a fantastic track, it's just a shame that no-one turns up. But the WEC needs a race in America. I wish it were the Sebring 12 Hours or PLM, but that ship has sailed.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 17:53 (Ref:3674308)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
COTA is a fantastic track, it's just a shame that no-one turns up. But the WEC needs a race in America. I wish it were the Sebring 12 Hours or PLM, but that ship has sailed.

I think their best option for fan draw would be Road America or Mid Ohio, non Football season.

It also looks like only Daytona and Road America are not a major conflict with IMSA....

2017 FIA World Endurance Championship Schedule:
March 24-25 — Prologue (Monza)
April 14-16 — Silverstone
May 4-6 — Spa-Francorchamps
June 17-18 — 24 Hours of Le Mans
July 14-16 — Nürburgring
Sept. 1-3 — Mexico City
September 14-16 — Circuit of The Americas
October 13-15 — Fuji Speedway
November 3-5 — Shanghai
November 16-18 — Bahrain

2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Schedule
*Jan. - 26-29 -- Rolex 24 At Daytona
*March 15-18 - Sebring
*April 7-8 - Long Beach
*May 5-7 - COTA
*June 2-3 - Detroit
*July 7-9 - Mosport (Canadian Tire Motorsport Park)
*July 21-22 - Lime Rock
*Aug. 4-6 - Road America
*Aug. 25-27 - VIR
*Sept. 23-24 Laguna
*Oct. 5-7 - Petit (Road Atlanta)

L.P.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3674326)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I think their best option for fan draw would be Road America or Mid Ohio, non Football season.

It also looks like only Daytona and Road America are not a major conflict with IMSA....

July 14-16 — Nürburgring
Sept. 1-3 — Mexico City
November 3-5 — Shanghai
November 16-18 — Bahrain

*March 15-18 - Sebring
*April 7-8 - Long Beach
*May 5-7 - COTA
*June 2-3 - Detroit
*July 21-22 - Lime Rock
*Aug. 4-6 - Road America
*Aug. 25-27 - VIR
*Sept. 23-24 Laguna

L.P.
you missed... June 30 - July 2 Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
Watkins Glen International - Watkins Glen, NY P/PC/GTLM/GTD
6 Hours
Old 22 Sep 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3674330)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't see WEC being too concerned with a national championships calender really.

I'd prefer to see a better American track than COTA. I was also just thinking recently it'd be nice to have Monza on the calender. Shame we'll never lose China due to the market.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3674336)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
you missed... June 30 - July 2 Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
Watkins Glen International - Watkins Glen, NY P/PC/GTLM/GTD
6 Hours
My BAD!

July 14-16 — Nürburgring
Sept. 1-3 — Mexico City
November 3-5 — Shanghai
November 16-18 — Bahrain

*March 15-18 - Sebring
*April 7-8 - Long Beach
*May 5-7 - COTA
*June 2-3 - Detroit
*June 30 - July 2 - Watkins Glen
*July 21-22 - Lime Rock
*Aug. 4-6 - Road America
*Aug. 25-27 - VIR
*Sept. 23-24 Laguna

L.P.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 21:44 (Ref:3674365)   #7
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the IMSA circus wont be with WEC next year at cota what will the support races look like?
Old 23 Sep 2016, 02:32 (Ref:3674450)   #8
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't see WEC being too concerned with a national championships calender really.

I'd prefer to see a better American track than COTA. I was also just thinking recently it'd be nice to have Monza on the calender. Shame we'll never lose China due to the market.
Shanghai is as good or better than COTA imo, and at least it's attended. Glad Monza is the prologue now. We'll see the LM packages surely.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3674458)   #9
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only thing that I don't like about Monza is that one, it probably deserves a race more than several current WEC venues, and two, I don't think that any factory team would bring downforce/sprint race kits because of Monza's ultra-low downforce nature.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3674494)   #10
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Shanghai is as good or better than COTA imo, and at least it's attended. Glad Monza is the prologue now. We'll see the LM packages surely.
Agreed Shanghai is about on par with COTA. But remember they were giving away free tickets for Shanghai to get bigger numbers. I suspect the TV/Press is a bigger issue for Shanghai than crowd numbers. The biggest car market in the world cannot really be ignored, even if the track is a bit crap.

COTA is...fine. But it's on the same level as Shanghai, Bahrain etc. I'd rather see another American track. I'd like Monza on the schedule properly but I don't see how it would fit anywhere unfortunately.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3674499)   #11
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'd like Monza on the schedule properly but I don't see how it would fit anywhere unfortunately.
One have to think, that there must be a reason why the prologue is moved to Monza. Surely the track and facilities itselves cant be that much higher standard then HTTT. I'm thinking someone is pushing for Monza to be on the '18 or '19 callendar, either as a 10th round or replacement for some round.
Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3674502)   #12
ivozet
Rookie

ivozet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What does mean Prologue at Monza for two days ? Round one for 2017 or testing days?
Old 23 Sep 2016, 09:46 (Ref:3674505)   #13
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivozet View Post
What does mean Prologue at Monza for two days ? Round one for 2017 or testing days?
It's pre-season testing.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 01:39 (Ref:3674657)   #14
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's mandatory that a team shows up to the prologue with at least one car. So it's a good way to see all the competitors.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3674727)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...-revealed.html

Nothing new to see here, for better or worse. still the same Tilke-tastic calendar as ever
Having Shanghai and Bahrain races instead of Monza is still depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Prologue moves to Monza, which seems a little strange, but fair enough. Would be interesting if they'd remove the chicane for the test days.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:08 (Ref:3674728)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick6 View Post
Since the IMSA circus wont be with WEC next year at cota what will the support races look like?
Perhaps Formula V8 3.5?
Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3674732)   #17
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's temporary one-off-year contract with COTA so presumably the plans for it's abandonment are imminent.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3674749)   #18
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's temporary one-off-year contract with COTA
source?
Old 24 Sep 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3674765)   #19
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Both Sportscar 365 and I believe also DSC say that to the best of their knowledge, COTA currently is on a one year extension, and that anything longer term will depend on the outcome of the 2017 weekend.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3674784)   #20
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They can't possibly expect the attendance to magically and suddenly rise over the lackluster numbers of past four years, plus of course running the weekend alone weakens it even further, so it must be a temporary holdover while they consider their options for another (Grade 1 sigh) NA track.

Of course, it's quite possible they don't give rats ass about whether the event is "success" or not, but rather just keep it around because it's "convenient", just like in other instances. However I'm not quite sure they are as satisfied with the circuit management and receive as many cash bags from them as they do from other asphaltdromes around the world.

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Sep 2016 at 19:04.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 20:30 (Ref:3674805)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They can't possibly expect the attendance to magically and suddenly rise over the lackluster numbers of past four years, plus of course running the weekend alone weakens it even further, so it must be a temporary holdover while they consider their options for another (Grade 1 sigh) NA track.

Of course, it's quite possible they don't give rats ass about whether the event is "success" or not, but rather just keep it around because it's "convenient", just like in other instances. However I'm not quite sure they are as satisfied with the circuit management and receive as many cash bags from them as they do from other asphaltdromes around the world.
Agreed.

https://twitter.com/dsceditor/status/777911261627547652

I thought this tweet said a lot about the state of the event.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3674808)   #22
Deleted
Veteran

Katja Heim, COTA’s chief operating officer, said 74,457 fans — up nearly 15 percent from last year’s roughly 65,000 — attended the three-day festival of racing.
---
COTA chairman Bobby Epstein said he likes the upward tick of Lone Star Le Mans. “It’s turning into a party,” he said. “From the camping, to the fireworks, automotive displays, food, cool cars, and family fun, it’s clear these race events are building momentum.

Lolz
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:34 (Ref:3674838)   #23
TF110
Veteran

United States
Were any of you there? I saw on other forums from people who were there saying the attendance was bigger than last year. Some say you didn't see many because the heat was so oppressing they were taking shade instead of staying put. Maybe they're lying, or someone is trying to make the event look bad/good.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:52 (Ref:3674842)   #24
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Well, Graham was on site with DSC/RLM, so if he believes what he sees/doesn't believe that COTA's numbers are credible, I'd have to believe him.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:56 (Ref:3674843)   #25
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Well, Graham was on site with DSC/RLM, so if he believes what he sees/doesn't believe that COTA's numbers are credible, I'd have to believe him.
He's not the only source, though. There's thousands of people who attended. I don't just take one person's view. That's why I asked if any here attended.