Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Oct 2017, 21:02 (Ref:3774374)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cheese James Warburton Quits As Supercar CEO!!!!

behind the news ltd paywallhowever

Supercars bombshell as chief executive James Warburton quits

Quote:
JAMES Warburton has quit as Supercars chief executive after rejecting a new deal to continue in the role beyond this year.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 21:21 (Ref:3774378)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
James Warburton to leave Supercars

from supercars site - part of his statement

Quote:
STATEMENT FROM JAMES WARBURTON

With a heavy heart, I advise the 2017 season (and year) will be my last as CEO of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship.

It has been an honour and a privilege to work with such inspiring people within the Supercars family and to lead a sport of which I have been a fan since the age of five.

I am truly in awe of the passion and commitment across the entire industry and the dedication to entertain our fans and am blessed to have made a host of lifelong friends from the experience.
Old 15 Oct 2017, 22:42 (Ref:3774385)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they should talk to a bloke called Tony Cochrane as a replacement, I hear he used to be a bit interested in V8Supercars
Old 16 Oct 2017, 00:32 (Ref:3774400)   #4
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will leave the discussion of Jimboy's merits or lack of them to others however as per usual the incredible effort put in by many many volunteer race officials and event volunteers Australia wide goes unmentioned.

There would be no supercar events if it were not for those spending their own money and leave to endure exceptionally long hours and conditions to allow the events to occur.

I suppose we are used to being ignored when platitudes are being given out so it is great to experience state and lower level motor sport where the emphasis is on the sport and competitors express their thanks acknowledging that they would not be able to compete if it was not for the volunteers.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 00:44 (Ref:3774401)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
“In 2018, your number 1 fan will be sitting opposite pit lane, finally in shorts and a t-shirt with his family, cold beer in the hand cheering you all.”

Sure.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 00:59 (Ref:3774403)   #6
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who replaces him?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3774405)   #7
Phillip Ireland
Rookie

Phillip Ireland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Maybe they should talk to a bloke called Tony Cochrane as a replacement, I hear he used to be a bit interested in V8Supercars

He hasn't quite finished driving the Gold Coast Suns to their knees just yet.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3774406)   #8
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
I will leave the discussion of Jimboy's merits or lack of them to others however as per usual the incredible effort put in by many many volunteer race officials and event volunteers Australia wide goes unmentioned.

There would be no supercar events if it were not for those spending their own money and leave to endure exceptionally long hours and conditions to allow the events to occur.

I suppose we are used to being ignored when platitudes are being given out so it is great to experience state and lower level motor sport where the emphasis is on the sport and competitors express their thanks acknowledging that they would not be able to compete if it was not for the volunteers.
Where's a like button for this forum when you need one? Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
“In 2018, your number 1 fan will be sitting opposite pit lane, finally in shorts and a t-shirt with his family, cold beer in the hand cheering you all.”

Sure.

Yes and I've got some beachfront property in Alice Springs you might be interested in.

He did do some good stuff financially for the series in a difficult role to fill but not a fan of how he handled the tv deal which for the short term gain will hurt the sport in the long run more so.

Going by the comments on Speedcafe this morning Mike Jacobson should put his hand up-in doing so sending the sport back to the dark ages but I digress.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3774409)   #9
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How is Mike Jacobson, if that is his real name, not a member on here? He'd fit in well with the other argumentative types... But I digress.

Mr Warburton has done a lot for settling down the upheaval from the Archer Capital buy-out. The TV deal, whilst not ideal, was in my opinion probably the best they could've done at the time. Sure, not great for the viewing public, but it saved the catagory, so that those who could watch it, had something to watch...
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3774412)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
How is Mike Jacobson, if that is his real name, not a member on here? He'd fit in well with the other argumentative types... But I digress.

Mr Warburton has done a lot for settling down the upheaval from the Archer Capital buy-out. The TV deal, whilst not ideal, was in my opinion probably the best they could've done at the time. Sure, not great for the viewing public, but it saved the catagory, so that those who could watch it, had something to watch...
I had always assumed Mike and DRT are the same people

But yes agree with your main comment. for those with fox the pacakage has been amazing and without doubt the best we have ever had, But there are those who it has not been as good for
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:49 (Ref:3774413)   #11
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to call Alan Gow.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3774414)   #12
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming and check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1. Fortunately I wasn't and it wasn't.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 02:28 (Ref:3774419)   #13
Over Rev
Rookie

Australia
SE Melbourne
Over Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Horne, Roland Dane and now James Warburton are all leaving their roles within the Supercar group in quick succession. Anyone else find that interesting?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 02:29 (Ref:3774421)   #14
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not to mention Mr Braid, who was responsible for bring Volvo to the sport, and then subsequently sorting out the commercial mess the catagory was in.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 03:38 (Ref:3774424)   #15
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Warburton gets my vote for the best CEO the category has had.He inherited a financial basket case and did a fair job of turning it around.If the series spurned Foxtel and stayed FTA it would still be a basket case only much worse.
Basic problem is Archer were conned into paying way over the odds and will have to take a bath at some stage.According to Speedcafe the teams were keen to keep him and give him a pay rise(so that means Jones and Dane on the board) but others on the board(Archer) were not.Future board meetings should be fun.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3774430)   #16
Reynard853
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide & Thredbo
Reynard853 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Where's a like button for this forum when you need one? Good post.

Yes and I've got some beachfront property in Alice Springs you might be interested in.

He did do some good stuff financially for the series in a difficult role to fill but not a fan of how he handled the tv deal which for the short term gain will hurt the sport in the long run more so.

Going by the comments on Speedcafe this morning Mike Jacobson should put his hand up-in doing so sending the sport back to the dark ages but I digress.
I'm new on here and upon reading the vitriol on Speedcafe it makes me wonder when the psych ward/s of Australia allowed internet access.

Its good to read on here regular input that is generally constructive with minor exceptions however overall we should be thankful we have a vibrant main race series with lots of support categories.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 05:24 (Ref:3774432)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
As in the Mike Jacobson who worked the beat for Auto Action and Racing Car News, amongst others?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3774440)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard853 View Post
I'm new on here and upon reading the vitriol on Speedcafe it makes me wonder when the psych ward/s of Australia allowed internet access.

Its good to read on here regular input that is generally constructive with minor exceptions however overall we should be thankful we have a vibrant main race series with lots of support categories.
In regards to lots of support categories, There was more years ago. But as the Supercars, built the Glass House, and then upped the $$$ required to come and play in their sandpit, and lack of air time, these categories soon left, like a lot of sponsors.

Yes they did some good, but also, sucked the guts of motosport Aust wide.
Basically, if you weren't in the supercars family , you couldn't play in the sandpit.

I do remember fields of 20 formula Fords, 30 Aussie cars, 20 odd utes, heaps off others, all gone and no longer playing in the sandpit

The Fox deal saved their butt, but it will bite them in the future
Old 16 Oct 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3774446)   #19
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Ireland View Post
He hasn't quite finished driving the Gold Coast Suns to their knees just yet.
Just hang on a short while. Will have well and truly completed that task in the not too distant future.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3774448)   #20
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Warburton gets my vote for the best CEO the category has had.He inherited a financial basket case and did a fair job of turning it around.If the series spurned Foxtel and stayed FTA it would still be a basket case only much worse.
Nothing against Mr Warburton, as you point out he had work to do when he walked in but best CEO so far has easily Wayne Cattach - one of the founders of the whole category, moved it forward massively in his time there and was there for an extended period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
I do remember fields of 20 formula Fords, 30 Aussie cars, 20 odd utes, heaps off others, all gone and no longer playing in the sandpit
Aussie race cars still run with VASC, Utes had a spot on the program but are in the process of change to the diesel series and FF not running nationally is a great shame but I don't think you can put all the blame on VASC, CAMS has a fair bit of blame in that one as well.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3774449)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
and 23 utes at their last round, however it was a bit of a goodbye deal
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3774451)   #22
Librules
Rookie

Librules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Umai Naa;3774409]How is Mike Jacobson, if that is his real name, not a member on here? He'd fit in well with the other argumentative types... But I digress.

FYI Mike Jacobson is a real person and in the past has been a published writer in the motorsport realm... here's a current link http://www.goodpublicity.com.au/inde...-jacobson.html
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3774455)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Warburton's departure will be noticed, and is a loss to the sport.

The financial re-righting of a sporting category that was arguably not in control of its future will forever be his legacy.

Had the series continued with previous management, there would likely be as many as a dozen less cars on the current grid, having had to hand back their RECs, being unable to continue operation.

We also need to understand and accept that Archer Capital is a short term owner of this investment asset. They, and others of their ilk, do not have a reputation for building for the future if in their view, the job is already done.

Mr Warburton, thank you for your service, for sourcing and developing the team under your to deliver a very good entertainment product.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Oct 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3774456)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard853 View Post

Completely agree on all fronts.
Old 16 Oct 2017, 11:02 (Ref:3774460)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Warburton's Wins And Losses