Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 24 Nov 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1774374)   #1
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Production Saloons from the 80's

Anyone on here remember (or involved in?) the Monroe/Uniroyal championships?

Capri's/Starions etc and the Willhire 24 hrs at Snetterton?

I've just bought a load of VHS videos of those old championships and will be putting ithem on dvd at some point if anyone wants a copy for a bit of nostalgia let me know....
Old 25 Nov 2006, 09:30 (Ref:1774625)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to pit crew at the Wiihire for Chris Conoley,I know he would like a copy as and when.Let me know when they are ready please.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1775365)   #3
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes please. Did 3 Snet 24 hours, Won one (M3), one 3rd (Capri), one DNF (RX7)
Old 18 Jun 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2485978)   #4
Mike Sheraton
Racer

United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Mike Sheraton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfm View Post
Yes please. Did 3 Snet 24 hours, Won one (M3), one 3rd (Capri), one DNF (RX7)
was it a Fina backed M3 because my dad andrew sheraton was a mechanic at the willhire for 3 years, one of them for a sirroco and the other two for Fina M3s he used to work for steve mchale.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 18:29 (Ref:1775370)   #5
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my dad raced proddys in the ex Mike Smith cosworth.
Old 26 Nov 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1775371)   #6
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ps i got loads of the vids but i wouldnt mind having them on dvd if you can do that rallyXcraig!
Old 27 Nov 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1775864)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes please, I used to love the 80's Uniroyal series!!

Massive grids, great racing etc..

People like Sven Platt (whatever happened to him?), John Cleland, Skid Scarborough and Gerry Marshall sideways around Woodcote hairpin on the old Silverstone club circuit was a fantastic spectacle!

When I finally get round to hooking up a scanner i'll post some old pics of these prodsaloon cars for everyone!
Old 23 Dec 2006, 18:08 (Ref:1798410)   #8
TSA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury
TSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, my Rover raced in the '86 prod saloon championships and did the 24 hour race that year as well, if you have any footage from 86 rallycrosscraig I'd appreciate a copy.
Thanks
Tim
Old 23 Dec 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1798429)   #9
rallycrosscraig
Racer

Tim picked up those videos on thursday and watched the first one today - great memories, watched 86 Willhire. Was your car the Istel Rover, white with a blue stripe?
Old 24 Dec 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1798799)   #10
TSA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Banbury
TSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that's my car. There were 2 Istel cars built for the '86 championships, but only mine was used for the 24 hour race. I didn't think it lasted too long in the race though?
Old 3 May 2007, 10:14 (Ref:1905687)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of those above, Skid recovered the Capri and still runs it occasionally in the CTCRC Group 1 championship. According to a conversation I had with him the car was rolled by someone in Ireland(?) then repatriated and restored.

Ron Aubrey owned it in '95/96 (ish) after which Skid bought it.
Old 3 May 2007, 10:35 (Ref:1905698)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Of those above, Skid recovered the Capri and still runs it occasionally in the CTCRC Group 1 championship. According to a conversation I had with him the car was rolled by someone in Ireland(?) then repatriated and restored.

Ron Aubrey owned it in '95/96 (ish) after which Skid bought it.
Skid's Capri is one of the cars that was built but's it's not the actual Autoplan Capri that Skid raced against. That was a 2.8i when all the others we 3.0.

Skid did tell me a month or two ago which one it was, I think it was Eric Cook's car but I could be wrong.

I think I may have twisted his arm into bringing it out in a CTCRC event, if not I'll definitely get him in my car for a race and I think he's also planning to run it in the Spa 1 hour wacky race.
Old 4 May 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1906767)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I was once advised, possibly by Gerry, that he sold that car to a guy called Harald Hagan in Ireland who apparently spectacularly rolled it at some point. The it came back over here in Skid's hands.

Anyone remember a rather wild Capri driver in about 1985 called Sven Platt. Gerry would've been in the Monza at the time?
Old 4 May 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1906804)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
I was once advised, possibly by Gerry, that he sold that car to a guy called Harald Hagan in Ireland who apparently spectacularly rolled it at some point. The it came back over here in Skid's hands.

Anyone remember a rather wild Capri driver in about 1985 called Sven Platt. Gerry would've been in the Monza at the time?
I definitely remember the name, but couldn't say much more than that without digging through old Autosports....
Old 20 May 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1917108)   #15
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton in the 80s.........

Old 20 May 2007, 11:33 (Ref:1917181)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://rupert8766.fotopic.net/p5271769.html

No idea of the drivers of these two, but the dolly seems to have alot of suspension travel!
Old 20 May 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1917213)   #17
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic

No idea of the drivers of these two, but the dolly seems to have alot of suspension travel!
Wasn't Letchworth Roofing Graham (Skid) Scarborough's sponsor? (Nat that I can ever remember him in a Dolomite...)
Old 20 May 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1917315)   #18
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep. Here he is.....
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ghatriches.jpg
Old 21 May 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1917682)   #19
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic

The Golf I would say is Andy Mclellan (sp? - who went on to race a Colt Stariion) and the Dolomite is either Graham or Trevor Scarborough. In some ways I'd lean more towards Trevor as I don't think Graham raced it that often and Trevor was still racing in the early '80s.
Old 21 May 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1918324)   #20
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
The Golf I would say is Andy Mclellan (sp? - who went on to race a Colt Stariion) and the Dolomite is either Graham or Trevor Scarborough. In some ways I'd lean more towards Trevor as I don't think Graham raced it that often and Trevor was still racing in the early '80s.
Andy MacLennan? as you said, he went on to race a Starion, still in the black Simmons colours (they made electronic synthesised drums and percussion- my brother's a drummer and he still has some of their kit stashed in his loft that dates back to the early 90's, shortly before Simmons went out of business http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmons...c_drum_company) )

Think they carried on running the Golf as well at occasional races into 1985 or so, but don't remember who drove it

Last edited by KA; 21 May 2007 at 19:56.
Old 21 May 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1918414)   #21
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Letchworth Roofing Dolly is driven by Pete Walters......
Old 21 May 2007, 22:31 (Ref:1918420)   #22
snetmarshal
Racer

snetmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh the memories! Going as a kid and watching epic battles between Gerry Marshal and Skid Scarborough amongst others along with the classic willhires. Would definately be interested in DVD with these on. I was raised on many an epic battles between Capri 2.8i's !!

Not an actual saloon, but aswell as prod saloons, Uniroyal ran a production sports car championship and Gerry Marshal ran a Lotus Esprit Turbo in that
Old 22 May 2007, 07:21 (Ref:1918512)   #23
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by snetmarshal
Not an actual saloon, but aswell as prod saloons, Uniroyal ran a production sports car championship and Gerry Marshal ran a Lotus Esprit Turbo in that
The Lotus was built by Andy Rouse and Pete Hall (hence whiy it was blue and white, ICS colours) but they couldn't get on with it so Dad bought it from them and raced it himself. It was an ex-Bond car and was bloody quick but very fragile.

Dad sold it and the bloke who bought it painted it black and he then sold it to the Haynes Motor Musuem and that's where it is today.

I have a few pictures of it when Dad raced it but my IT ineptitude stops me from porting them!!
Old 24 May 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1920160)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Still OT Didn't Rouse and Hall also run a Porky 928 in ICS colours at one point?

Back on topic I forgot that Graham S had a brother who raced as well, cor that was a long time ago (before my time too)

That Astra rolling in earlier pics might be James Kaye or David Da Costa or someone like that? Are those shot from 1984 or 85?
Old 27 May 2007, 18:07 (Ref:1922289)   #25
rallycrosscraig
Racer

here's one from Willhire 24hr possibley 1985?

635 csi of John Clark/Andrew Jeffrey/Hamish Irvine finished 5th or 6th