Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Jan 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3193898)   #26
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I am not claiming the credit, but Carfest was invented after Chris came to our Kop Hillclimb event near Princes Risborough and had a run up the hill in one of his Ferraris.

Public entry to Kop Hill is £10.00 for what is often referred to as "Goodwood as it should be". Last year we had 220+ cars and bikes up the hill each day and over 14,000 spectators over the weekend.

The event is totally manned by BMMC and other marshals as if it were a competitive hillclimb. It is actually non-competitive and all proceeds go to local charities. If anyone wants a different marshalling experience on September 21/22 let me know. As usual all details will be posted here on ten tenths.

More details on http://www.kophillclimb.info/
Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3280765)   #27
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As there are other meetings on 3rd Aug, specifically the 360 at Donington, also Anglesey, Croft and Mallory, has anybody heard whether marshals that have volunteered for just one day at the Carfest are likely to get tickets?
The Pageant of Power was over subscribed and only 3 dayers were invited.
I wouldn't want to waste the opportunity to be elsewhere, whilst watching the letter box for tickets that were not going to arrive.

Andy R.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3280769)   #28
spooksman
Rookie

United Kingdom
spooksman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's only the gossip I heard at Oulton Park at the weekend, but I think only people that had volunteered for all three days would have a chance of getting tickets, and not all of them as it was over subscribed :-(

As I said, only gossip...
Old 24 Jul 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3281085)   #29
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please be advised that all marshals who are required for CarFest North have been duly advised - and yes it is a very small number compared to the number that volunteered
Old 24 Jul 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3281252)   #30
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
UPDATE - not everyone has been told if they are doing CarFest or not. However due to limited number of tickets from the organisers only those who have advised they can do all three days will be selected from. Hopefully successful volunteers will be advised shortly. However do contact Margaret Simpson if you put down for three days and not yet heard
Old 24 Jul 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3281279)   #31
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still time to volunteer for the BRSCC meeting at Anglesey if you don't get selected for Carfest!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 24 Jul 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3281287)   #32
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some stonkin racing aswell by the looks of it, worth goin just to see the irish boys, not only the gt lights but strykers aswell
i will be up at somepoint to spec and see everyone before my trip
Old 27 Jul 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3282229)   #33
seanclarke
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sandbach, Cheshire
seanclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carfest - let down by basic communication

I understand from this forum and from a Facebook thread that only those marshals that volunteered for all 3 days at Carfest will be asked to marshal the event.

What grinds my gears is that no-one has had the decency to contact those who are 'unlucky', and after volunteering will not be required.

Surely we can be contacted either way to let us know if we can volunteer for something else, or if we should go to Carfest.

- Why can't we just get an email telling us if we are required???
- Post a list of those required on the BMMC website.

It's just rude after we've volunteered to then not be told that we are or are not required.

What if we have been successful and the tickets are still in the post, how are we supposed to know? Sometimes tickets only arrive a day or two before the event so at what time do I find out?

In this world of better communication, this stinks. I know that it's probably mostly down to the organisers of Carfest and not anyone marshally, but I think that this could be handled so much better.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 18:47 (Ref:3282966)   #34
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not having volunteered for this, I think I can be quite neutral in my comments.

Please don't forget that the folk who deal with your volunteering are, just like you, doing this in their own time. They will not necessarily have the wherewithal to respond to everybody who applied but were unsuccessful. And how unusual is that in this day and age?

Only ever assume that you will be marshalling at a very popular event when your tickets and sign-on instructions arrive.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3283004)   #35
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My instructions only arrived Friday. If you haven't heard anthing and want to find out if you have been selected may I suggest you politely contact Margaret Simpson and ask rather than rant on an open forum. Margaret works wonders for marshals as Chief Marshal fo BARC NW; BRSCC NW; and MSVR and will no doubt be very happy to speak to you.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 08:12 (Ref:3283187)   #36
seanclarke
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sandbach, Cheshire
seanclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not ranting... Honest...

I have personally contacted Margaret and have found out now that I am not successful in volunteering on this occasion. This thread is in no way meant as a dig at Margaret or anyone else in particular.

However in cases like this, I'm sure that Margaret doesn't want several hundred marshals contacting her asking if they are needed. I'm sure that she has better things to do.

I'm trying to keep pro-active here and wondered if there is a better system that we can have when volunteering for these types of "other" events.

As we all know, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.

I don't want to assume either way that I have been accepted or have not been accepted for my duties - surely it would be best to be told either way.

I've experienced this, where tickets have gone missing in the post, so I assumed I was not wanted, then got questioned as to why I didn't turn up.

Surely we all have email addresses that are far more reliable than the postal system.
If we have to rely on the arrival of a ticket by post to determine if we are to attend an event, then the system is bound to fail right from the start.

Is there not an online website (www.marshals.co.uk) where we can check a list of marshals that are required for a specific event. That way we can just look at list whenever we want to, stop bothering already busy people and become much more informed.

All we need posting is the list that is already created and sent out with the tickets. If anyone is bothered by having their name publicly displayed on a website, then password protect the area or just publish names as A. Smith rather than full names.

There has to be a better way...
Old 29 Jul 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3283221)   #37
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanclarke View Post
...Surely we all have email addresses that are far more reliable than the postal system...
Don't rely on this. Average delivery rates for emails are 70-80% (source:EmailStatCentre)

Home Office figures suggest over a million letters a week, yes week, are lost or misdirected but the overall delivery figure is better than email at 96%.

And the pedant of the week award goes to ...
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3283231)   #38
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are a few sites I've used to register for events in US/Canada - this is one

http://www.motorsportreg.com

Maybe it's time for organising clubs to expand the online registration/management of events?
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:49 (Ref:3283254)   #39
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have a personal issue with a particular club/circuit/meeting - a quiet word with the right person is usually so much better than a public rant......... and avoids people being hit by toys coming out of the pram

Give those that give up their time to co-ordinate all of the background activities required for marshalling a break - particulalry with newer "odd" events such as this. While you may not think that you are "ranting" or "having a go" at people please remember that this is a public forum, viewable by anyone and to see your name being bandied around in public like this is completely unneccessary.

This event and it being held at Oulton Park this year is still a learning curve for many involved I would imagine. I am sure those involved will review how things should be handled for future events.

Dave
Old 29 Jul 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3283280)   #40
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Please see link for bulletin from MSVR

http://www.msvracing.co.uk/news/2013...ling-news.aspx
Old 29 Jul 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3283282)   #41
howard bosson
Rookie

England
stockport
howard bosson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CARFEST

Thanks to MarshalGirl for clearing up the issue about volunteers. I was wondering where the tickets were. Looks like I've got a weekend off as I could only do the Saturday. No worries, I'll be at Oulton on the 17th. All those who are working this weekend, don't forget to stay safe.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3283291)   #42
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have personally contacted Margaret and have found out now that I am not successful in volunteering on this occasion. This thread is in no way meant as a dig at Margaret or anyone else in particular.

However in cases like this, I'm sure that Margaret doesn't want several hundred marshals contacting her asking if they are needed. I'm sure that she has better things to do.

I'm trying to keep pro-active here and wondered if there is a better system that we can have when volunteering for these types of "other" events.

As we all know, assumption is the mother of all ****-ups.

I don't want to assume either way that I have been accepted or have not been accepted for my duties - surely it would be best to be told either way.

I've experienced this, where tickets have gone missing in the post, so I assumed I was not wanted, then got questioned as to why I didn't turn up.

Surely we all have email addresses that are far more reliable than the postal system.
If we have to rely on the arrival of a ticket by post to determine if we are to attend an event, then the system is bound to fail right from the start.

Is there not an online website (www.marshals.co.uk) where we can check a list of marshals that are required for a specific event. That way we can just look at list whenever we want to, stop bothering already busy people and become much more informed.

All we need posting is the list that is already created and sent out with the tickets. If anyone is bothered by having their name publicly displayed on a website, then password protect the area or just publish names as A. Smith rather than full names.

Websites and e-mails are not really necessary. The only meetings I can think of where you may get "knocked back" are the GP and Goodwood. There may be an issue with some BTCC meetings as they are getting seriously oversubscribed (Oulton is a case in point).

Both the GP and Goodwood send "thanks but no thanks" letters several weeks (or months) beforehand.

If you apply for a clubbie and haven't received tickets a few days beforehand get in touch with the organising club. I can't see any reason why you would be turned away from any of these events.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3283364)   #43
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
This only the second year of CarFest and a new venue so no one knew what to expect. Limited numbers were required as for Cholmondley last year. Next year this will be advertised more widely and people advised earlier if possible. Some of the issues this year are that a selection process was implemented due to limited spaces - people meeting that criteria advised - some of those people subsequently declined - further people contacted - further people added to reserve list. This is still happening so no blanket messages could be sent out. I have helped by posting on here and other websites but I don't have a list of everyone who volunteered and as stated above email addresses unreliable as BMMC found at beginning if year when contacting people reference cancelled Masters meeting

Technology is great when it works and is not abused - unfortunately people are involved and no-one can please everyone all the time.

If you have issues please take them up with appropriate people and do not air in public forums which are looked at by many people!!

Thanks for everyone's cooperation (don't shoot the messenger!)
Old 30 Jul 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3283834)   #44
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
I have been asked to post the following message:

Carfest at Oulton Park: All involved with arrangements for marshalling the weekend apologise for the hiccup in communications. So many of you generously volunteered for one or more days of the weekend, whilst only a limited number were actually required to police the on-track activity. Arrangements should have been set up to formally advise those marshals who who had volunteered but were not required. For those of you now at a loose end, there is a 2-day meeting at Anglesey circuit on August 3 and 4 at which you will be very welcome. Our next Oulton Park race meeting is on August 17 and I hope to see you all there.

Mike Cadwallader
BMMC North Region Chairman
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:02 (Ref:3283881)   #45
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just seen in Radio Times that Chris Evans' Saturday morning radio show is being broadcast from Oulton.

I hope I'll be able to listen to some of it, and hopefully hear from some marshals, before I go to my niece's wedding later that day.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3283882)   #46
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey View Post
some stonkin racing aswell by the looks of it, worth goin just to see the irish boys, not only the gt lights but strykers aswell
i will be up at somepoint to spec and see everyone before my trip
You won't see us. We're off to a wedding in Northampton.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3284075)   #47
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just looking at this thread again, isn't it marvellous that we (ie marshals) are once again worrying about not being selected for an event because it is over-subscribed.

I know these are specific events which are really popular (as are others mentioned like BTCC) but it is a wonderful sign that our numbers are up.

Now all we need are the same numbers at the little clubbie in March/October (or any time in between) - or is that a different thread?
Old 31 Jul 2013, 09:08 (Ref:3284123)   #48
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Just looking at this thread again, isn't it marvellous that we (ie marshals) are once again worrying about not being selected for an event because it is over-subscribed.

I know these are specific events which are really popular (as are others mentioned like BTCC) but it is a wonderful sign that our numbers are up.

Now all we need are the same numbers at the little clubbie in March/October (or any time in between) - or is that a different thread?

I'm not sure that this one is a case of being "over-subscribed" but more a case of the event only needing "a small team"

Dave
Old 4 Aug 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3285841)   #49
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic three days at Carfest with some very interesting cars! Despite expectations at the pit lane "Entry" being two-way, it actually worked really well, and it was really nice to see some of the drivers stopping on their way in today to thank the marshals for our work over the weekend! Even Mr Evans stopped to thank us!
Old 5 Aug 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3285998)   #50
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
As I don't have to drive into work in the morning, I don't listen to Radio 2 at the moment (it is Radio 4 in the house), so I hope that Mr Evans has made some (good) comments about the event and marshals on his show today.