Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3857479)   #76
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
How strange, I thought Peugeot Sport looked well committed to World Rallycross, why the sudden change in heart?
Maybe PSA have spent all their money on Citroen/Ogier in WRC? Not enough left for WRX as well?

So Ford dropped out at the end of last season, now Audi and Peugeot are out. Might as well hand PSRX next years titles now and save everyone some time.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:30 (Ref:3857480)   #77
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could be completely off - as I don't know if PSA have a central pool for motorsport funding or if each individual manufacturer has a separate budget - but could this be connected to Citroen signing Ogier?

With Citroen getting Ogier onboard and talking about going all out next year, I just wonder if the extra funding has come from elsewhere within the PSA Group? Or are Peugeot stepping back until there are concrete plans for electric in place?
Old 18 Oct 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3857492)   #78
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Peugeot will concentrate its resources on developing these new [electric sports] vehicles and has therefore decided to withdraw from the WRX championship at the end of the 2018 season, whose evolution towards electrification is uncertain," said Peugeot brand CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato in a tweet.

https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...lY-MbN3ht1bV4s

Last edited by crossfades; 18 Oct 2018 at 11:02.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3857497)   #79
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In all seriousness, this to me looks like Peugeot were the ones pushing electric and the fact no-one else was interested and IMG had to can it for a year is probably the reason.

I always said rallycross needed to be pushed slowly, but IMG just packaged it, slapped a logo on it and sold it to the highest bidder too quickly, and now the wheels are totally falling off.

For me, VW should go too, that way maybe there can be some sort of cooldown, work out a better way forward. AS let's be honest, VW being involved is the primary reason the series has fallen away in terms of spectacle. As I always said, domination only works for one person, the one dominating. The series, the fans, the other teams all suffer.

It's sad, but I hope for two things. Either IMG finally understand what they bought all those years ago, or they sod off and leave it to people that know what they are doing.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 11:34 (Ref:3857501)   #80
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Article now up on Motorsport.com:

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...-2018/3196989/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peugeot Brand CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato Twitter
Peugeot will concentrate its resources on developing these new [electric sports] vehicles and has therefore decided to withdraw from the WRX championship at the end of the 2018 season, whose evolution towards electrification is uncertain
So delaying the electrification of World Rallycross has caused them to walk away? Does that mean they will return as and when electric rallycross happens?
Old 18 Oct 2018, 13:05 (Ref:3857524)   #81
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Wow. That was quick. Fun while it lasted.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3857537)   #82
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn’t this positive? Many of us have been saying that the money of the manufacturer teams has been spoiling it, this allows a move back towards a decent privateer grid more like 2014/2015 era....just need to get rid of those pesky F1 tracks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 Oct 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3857561)   #83
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Isn’t this positive? Many of us have been saying that the money of the manufacturer teams has been spoiling it, this allows a move back towards a decent privateer grid more like 2014/2015 era....just need to get rid of those pesky F1 tracks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure I would consider it a positive. But you are correct, it would be great if it moved back to the grids similar to 14/15 but at this time it just leaves VW as the only manufacturer supported team. They are already pretty dominant even against manufacturer backed teams so I'm sure this will not help that situation any.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 15:25 (Ref:3857567)   #84
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2Motorsport View Post
I'm not sure I would consider it a positive. But you are correct, it would be great if it moved back to the grids similar to 14/15 but at this time it just leaves VW as the only manufacturer supported team. They are already pretty dominant even against manufacturer backed teams so I'm sure this will not help that situation any.
Yeah, I agree. With just the dominant manufacturer remaining than the divide between VW and the rest of the field will surely just increase further...

...but if VW did take a step back then we might see grids similar to the first couple of World RX seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude
...just need to get rid of those pesky F1 tracks now.
One problem at a time!
Old 18 Oct 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3857572)   #85
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we sure VW committed to the EV class? With Audi out, engineering costs per car went up by 1/4 at least for them. I presume they'll go out as well since IMG messes up.
If you read the tweet 'whose evolution towards electrification is uncertain', you get the impression that 2021 isn't in the picture either. And who wants to develop 2 cars when it's unsure that 1 of them can't run. You hollow out the budget for something without ROI. Not an expert, but that makes you losing 1th place even before the season starts.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 16:01 (Ref:3857574)   #86
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
If you read the tweet 'whose evolution towards electrification is uncertain', you get the impression that 2021 isn't in the picture either.
Well if I remember the wording rightly the delay was to "allow more manufacturers time to finalize plans" (or something like that); if those manufacturers don't commit in time, I guess there is a possibility that debut date fir electric rallycross could slip back again?

I wonder if Peugeot have agreed to return once the arrival of electric rallycross has a solid date (and thus they can still be considered one of the supporting manufacturers) or if they have completely walked away from rallycross for now?
Old 18 Oct 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3857604)   #87
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
From what I understand they needed 4 manufacturers for e-WRX.

Hopefully VW will also quit WRX.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3857605)   #88
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I assume the WRX budget will now move to the WRC campaign.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 18:40 (Ref:3857610)   #89
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peugeot do not run in WRC, I would think the budgets for both are separate, they will probably go into something like FE or something amazingly dull like that. I doubt they were spending tens of millions a year on WRX anyway.

I can see Kenny going with Citroen again national backing as before, he can easily build the cars and get the budgets together to run Tim and Kevin. He has a fabulous relationship with Citroen after all. Loeb never really seemed that interested to me anyway, like he was doing it coz he had to, not that he wanted to.

Stupidly electric suits rallycross very well, but for fans it would be a hugely retrograde step.

Most fans like modern supercars, I personally think they are fairly mundane in comparison with some cars of the recent past, all that happened was testing and development moved things on a pace in a few years.

Not that long ago you could win ERC titles in a 5 year old Focus if you spent hundreds of thousands on engines a year and could drive well. Is that any worse? No, but the car looked and sounded better and the tracks were better, more interesting and the tickets were cheaper, the grids were bigger etc etc.

IMG bring a lot, but they bring a lot of bad aswell as good, the sooner people realise this the better and it seems manufacturers are also seeing that what was sold on the tin, is not what they were getting.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 19:18 (Ref:3857617)   #90
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Audi wants Mattias Ekstrom back in DTM.

They even wanted EKS running customer cars in DTM but Ekstrom doesn't want that because they have no chance against factory cars.
Old 18 Oct 2018, 19:32 (Ref:3857621)   #91
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well obviously because I think one of the manufacturers pulled out did they not?

Sorry I don't much about DTM, bores me to tears, very expensive slot car racing lol!
Old 18 Oct 2018, 20:08 (Ref:3857628)   #92
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
According to Kevin Peugeot had big plans for next season and everything was "normal" yesterday. Article in Swedish.

https://www.svt.se/sport/motorsport/...lt-som-vanligt
Old 18 Oct 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3857631)   #93
RichP
Rookie

RichP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else think that there was an ultimatum, win in Germany or we pull out. Would explain some of the driving behaviours from two of the Peugeot drivers!
Old 19 Oct 2018, 07:54 (Ref:3857686)   #94
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you are on to something. Maybe they saw Germany as last chance saloon.

Many of the articles I have seen lately have mentioned Timmy Hansen and how everyone does him wrong. At the same time he plays that schizophrenic victim pose and very aggressive driving tactics. Bakkerud, Ekstrøm and others are saying that it's just adrenaline and that they square up afterwards - but is that really the case?

What I just saw this weekend was Loeb making a desperate inside pass attempt and getting crushed, and Timmy deliberately torpedoing Marklund into a DNF. How can this happen without consequences? Imagine the outcry if Mathias did the same to Timmy? I bet the consequences didn't matter as much anymore.

Last edited by Silhuette; 19 Oct 2018 at 08:00.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 08:06 (Ref:3857687)   #95
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I'm not the biggest fan of the Hansens but he didn't do it on purpose and I doubt anyone else would do the same.

Firstly, Timmy was disqualified. Secondly, his bumper was caught under the car and he unfortunately hit Marklund because of it. He also apologised to Marklund.

https://www.facebook.com/TimmyHansen...44829708873973
Old 19 Oct 2018, 08:58 (Ref:3857704)   #96
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Firstly, Timmy was disqualified. Secondly, his bumper was caught under the car and he unfortunately hit Marklund because of it. He also apologised to Marklund.

https://www.facebook.com/TimmyHansen...44829708873973
I still think the contact that occurred after turn one was entirely avoidable.

I am not a Marklund fan - and the car was already badly damaged (you can see the right rear corner had collapsed as a result of the turn one melee) before Timmy started batting it around the track - but Timmy didn't appear to lift off after either impact with the Megane.

According to comments on Facebook (which I appreciate may be exaggerated) that Megane is now a write off due to the side impacts.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3857708)   #97
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I still think the contact that occurred after turn one was entirely avoidable.

I am not a Marklund fan - and the car was already badly damaged (you can see the right rear corner had collapsed as a result of the turn one melee) before Timmy started batting it around the track - but Timmy didn't appear to lift off after either impact with the Megane.

According to comments on Facebook (which I appreciate may be exaggerated) that Megane is now a write off due to the side impacts.
True, it was desperate by Timmy. Even if it could have been avoided though it was somewhat unfortunate I think.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3857722)   #98
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The stupid thing is Kenny won tons of stuff without driving like a bully. Personally I think Timmy has simply reached his talent plateau, as Doran did. Tyhese guys took it to a new level. Before that we had Eriksson, Hnsbedt driving int everyone every week, then it was Doran, Lindefjell, they were just out of their depth at times.

Regarding Peugeot, this is Paris car show week (where the announcement was made actually), huge meetings with group bosses, it's nothing to do with Germany and everything to do with global decisions based around far more than results. This will be inked to budget cuts linked to sales, PR budgets etc. And maybe even Ogier and Lappi going to Citroen, though I would think Red Bull would cover most of that.

Peugeot have not long been involved, and I think they were very keen on electric, more than anyone else maybe, so perhaps that is a factor too.

IMG be careful what you wish for, this is a cock up and your board should be asking questions of people like Bellamy as you are losing this championship.
Old 19 Oct 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3857782)   #99
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Peugeot's CEO has clarified the brand's shock decision to withdraw from the World Rallycross Championship is not based on its recent results.

The manufacturer announced on Thursday it will quit World RX after the next month's season finale in South Africa.

Peugeot boss Jean-Philippe Imparato went on record on Friday to stress the programme was being terminated so the brand can focus on its recently announced push with electric sports vehicles, after World RX postponed its switch to electric cars until 2021 and extended the deadline for manufacturers to sign up for the series until the end of March '19.

Imparato also confirmed nine-time World Rally champion Sebastien Loeb, the only driver other than Johan Kristoffersson to have won a World RX round so far this season, will remain a PSA driver - having raced for Peugeot in World RX since 2016.

"I have seen a lot of emotions since yesterday [Thursday] on my Twitter account," said Imparato. "So I want to give you more keys to help you understand our decision.

"First, this announcement is not linked with our results in the competition or our pilots.

"I want to congratulate and thank all the Hansen family and team for the exceptional talent, fighting spirit, determination and for the Swedish kindness they shared with us.

"For Sebastien it's too early to say, but he remains a pilot for PSA Motorsport so we will think about the future with him."

https://www.autosport.com/wrx/news/1...on-to-quit-wrx
Old 21 Oct 2018, 10:29 (Ref:3858124)   #100
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
According to local newspaper VF, Höljes is in the closing stages of finalising a deal.

I didn't bother posting the link since it is a plus article.