Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2004, 10:35 (Ref:899231)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 needs guys like Massa (and Sato to a lesser extent - he showed signs of maturity and consistancy on Sunday). He's unpredictable, bold, makes optimistic moves, and never gives up. I'd forgotten just how much fun he can be.

He did have the better of Fisichella this weekend, but only thanks to one mistake from Fisichella. Massa made several that were more severe, but in the race rather than on a single qualifying lap/
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:09 (Ref:899317)   #27
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many laps for Massa at Monaco?
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:25 (Ref:899332)   #28
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is no doubt that the little kid is fast, but he's gonna hurt himself, or worse, some one else. I really thought that a year testing the Red Cars would calm him down. It didn't. heck, he can't even hit the same line on a corner two laps in a row.

I don't know if Sato is as fast, but he's got more potential for growth.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:37 (Ref:899340)   #29
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Huh? Never thought of putting Regga in that category.
Fun to watch ??
Old 9 Mar 2004, 12:56 (Ref:899358)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definitely but not "wild".
Old 9 Mar 2004, 14:56 (Ref:899506)   #31
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, just read in a book how he used to have fun going downhill at the road to Monaco, always losing his left mirror... I wonder why.
Old 9 Mar 2004, 15:07 (Ref:899515)   #32
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget that Sauber signed Frentzen for his experienced last year - and he crashed at Monaco on the first lap.
Old 10 Mar 2004, 00:31 (Ref:900272)   #33
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
He's unpredictable, bold, makes optimistic moves, and never gives up.
This guy should be fun to watch during the 80s... Turbo, slicks... oh yeah! A Brabham-BMW would be perfect
Old 10 Mar 2004, 00:46 (Ref:900283)   #34
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
DeCesaris, Brambilla and Regazzoni... Spot on !! I love those ones !! Now enter Massa !
there is a problem with these three . none was a F1 world champion .. i would like Massa becoming one ..

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Mar 2004, 04:56 (Ref:900399)   #35
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
Was at the G.P. and from the first practise session Massa was on the edge before anyone else , usually after only one installation lap.

Problem is it did,nt seem to show up on the time sheets , he was pushing it from friday to sunday . I think that he will eventually have a big accident unlles he can tame himself to do quick , aggressive laps smoothly like the big guns.

On Sunday saw him hit the grass , on turn 5 where i was sitting , at least three times , once almost collecting the wall , he needs to calm down to get quicker .

Old 10 Mar 2004, 05:49 (Ref:900419)   #36
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Andrea de MASSA-ris?

At least he's entertaining - nice move on KR too!
Old 10 Mar 2004, 14:48 (Ref:900924)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
there is a problem with these three . none was a F1 world champion .. i would like Massa becoming one ..

We can only hope...
Old 10 Mar 2004, 19:07 (Ref:901152)   #38
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ONLY hope....
Old 11 Mar 2004, 00:25 (Ref:901470)   #39
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
It's just like Gilles Villeneuve... Extremely wild and quick... Didn't need to be WDC to become a legend.

If Massa will be a legend... up to his hability and luck to survive crashes, score points and maybe win a GP... And yes... he's still very young.

Massa behaved well with Ferrari because it was just testing... I guess it's too hard for him to calm down during a GrandPrix weekend
Old 11 Mar 2004, 00:38 (Ref:901477)   #40
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
I also think that Martin Brundle criticizes Massa and Sato too much... We don't hear him saying anything bad about David Coulthard, do we?

Coulthard drives so smoothly that maybe he forgot he's driving a F1.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 05:27 (Ref:901584)   #41
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah..the Marines always mumble when we had a combined training "slow is smooth, smooth is fast". Problem with Massa is that he is not slow, hence he's not smooth, that results in him not being fast.

But honestly, he really needs to work hard into putting his huge talents to use. He spins, he slides and he runs on grass, yet was still ahead of his teammate Fisi before his engine blew... good sign or bad sign?

He's a driver who seem to have no method of driving, no approach...just get in and drive as fast as he can. Testing is different from racing, i know, but surely, working with RB and MS would surely help him grow abit?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 07:10 (Ref:901639)   #42
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yoong was erratic too!!!! But he was really really really slow!!!!!

Add me to the Massa bandwagon!!
Old 11 Mar 2004, 08:23 (Ref:901671)   #43
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He rocks.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 09:33 (Ref:901728)   #44
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is why Massa will make it - look at the debate he causes, he's managing to grab everyones attention in a Sauber! Yes he's a bit ragged, but he's quick. If he can keep rocking Fisi like at Melbourne and making Fisi make mistakes then he'll grow in mental strength too.

I don't really see him getting a team around him though...although I hope he can, he seems like a bit of a racer and just hope that he's learnt well off of Schuey!
Old 11 Mar 2004, 10:07 (Ref:901752)   #45
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
I have to agree with the Englishman I talked to during the GrandPrix. Massa also reminds me of Nigel Mansell early days.

Mansell was very wild... and gave Nelson a hard time in 86 and 87. Piquet was a very mental driver while Mansell was all about speed...

We could have a forum about it... Smooth X Wild.

Piquet X Mansell

Prost X Senna, even though Senna's style was a mix of smoothness and wildness. He would do really well with the one lap qualifying... Well... I still remember myself waiting for his single lap at the end of the sessions anyway.

Last edited by DieRitter; 11 Mar 2004 at 10:11.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 14:31 (Ref:902023)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

DieRitter, I never wanted to say this, in respect of Mansell fans, and I am one of them, but Massa always reminded Mansell, forgive me the purists...
Old 12 Mar 2004, 00:41 (Ref:902611)   #47
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
forgive me the purists...
I know what you mean. Mansell was a unique driver. I guess I just miss too much his never give up attitude, some of his "unorthodox manoeuvres", and yes, the magical drives like

- Spain'86 Against Senna ( Brundle probably remembers that one very well )

- Britain'86 Against Piquet

Of course his style/speed could also lead him to mistakes like the one in Japan (91).

But at the end.. we all like the ones that have the guts to take risks and do something.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 01:40 (Ref:902649)   #48
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Massa needs to understand that wildness only leads to gravel traps and sand. His team desperately needs him to stay on the tarmac.

Last edited by freud; 12 Mar 2004 at 01:41.
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:44 (Ref:902717)   #49
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can calm down a skilled driver but you can't give that "can't put your finger on it" edge to one who does not have it. Spend money and watch him spin .... hope for the best.