Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Jun 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1935025)   #76
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
When Dad passed away I found about two hours of in-car footage that for whatever reason they didn't use on the final version, was a shame as there is some fantastic stuff.
I wouldn't mind seeing some of that!

I've only really seen the Baby Bertha at Mallory in car video on You Tube and that's an absolute gem!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 13:17 (Ref:1935038)   #77
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
When Dad passed away I found about two hours of in-car footage that for whatever reason they didn't use on the final version, was a shame as there is some fantastic stuff.
I agree with Alan, would be fantastic to see this. Might be worth considering making 'the in-car marshall' if there's enough footage Gregor. I'm sure there's plenty of demand for such a DVD, I for one would buy it. Or if you're feeling a bit more 'web 2.0' [and charitable] edit chuncks and put them on youTube or mySpace.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 16:22 (Ref:1935210)   #78
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I am biased but I think it's fantastic and I would love to put a video/dvd together as I have loads of footage;

Blue Peter, the famous Crystal Palace race, Old Nail's first race at Lydden, the last ever race at Crystal Palace, the '74 & '75 tours of Britain, The Droop Snoot race at Thruxton, Ventora for Victory (Big Bertha), Winning aint easy (Baby Bertha around Oulton), There's only one Gerry (Baby Bertha at Oulton and prod saloon and Gp1 Firenza/Magnum at Brands), The Facesavers ('79 season in the Dolomite), then a few home movies of the Autoplan Capri and Monza and then all the Vintage G&T stuff and then a few odds and ends, some Tuscan, DB4 and Sierra Cosworth stuff.

It's just getting the time and also the technology to convert all this stuff from VHS to DVD, I haven't worked it out yet!! I suppose now my race car is finished I have more time so I must sit down and do it, just need to know how or I find a company like Duke and see if they'd be interested.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 17:16 (Ref:1935241)   #79
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow Gregor, that sounds fantastic... you should contact Duke. Frankly I'd be astonished if they wouldn't jump at something like this. The only problems may be quality and copyright. I'd imagine they'd want broadcast rather than VHS quality for something to appear on the shelves and you may also want to see who is the copyright holder for what you have, however I'd be surprised if they got in the way. You may even make a few bob out of it... your old man would have been proud of that I'm sure
Old 13 Jun 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1935702)   #80
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Wow Gregor, that sounds fantastic... you should contact Duke. Frankly I'd be astonished if they wouldn't jump at something like this. The only problems may be quality and copyright. I'd imagine they'd want broadcast rather than VHS quality for something to appear on the shelves and you may also want to see who is the copyright holder for what you have, however I'd be surprised if they got in the way. You may even make a few bob out of it... your old man would have been proud of that I'm sure
I agree with Davyboy. Although I've got Vintage G&T, the Crystal Palace Viva GT race and much more, they're all spread over different tapes. It would be great to have them on DVD, all in one place (and not likely to fall to pieces at the wrong time like a Video tape!).
Get onto it Gregor, your public awaits with interest! (The added income could then be ploughed straight into the Droop Snoot, in true GM tradition!)
Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1935732)   #81
GBRM
Veteran

England
Okay guys, I'm on the case now!!
I've got Duke's details and will send them a letter today, will let you know if I get a response!!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1935769)   #82
davyboy
Veteran

Gregor, if you get a negative response, let us know and we'll lobby them en masse !
Old 13 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1935810)   #83
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes hope something comes of it!

Now back to prodsaloons.......
Old 13 Jun 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1935994)   #84
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Now back to prodsaloons.......
I think this is still classed as on-topic; does anyone remember the videos they used to do of each Willhire 24 hour race? Dad always used to have them but I have no idea where they are now.
I really wish they still did something like that, it was a great weekend.
Maybe I need to get out more!!
Old 13 Jun 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1936044)   #85
davyboy
Veteran

Well we're missing a production saloon category today, and a willhire-esque event for standard saloons really aren't we. You'd imagine there's demand for that today, or have too many people been swallowed up by all the one-make series ?
Old 14 Jun 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1936712)   #86
GBRM
Veteran

England
Hopefully now BARC & Dunlop have tried relaunching Production Saloons there will be a strong standing series and hopefully a 24hr race could be re-introduced, as the Britcar thing doesn't really appeal to me, too many sportscar thungs in it!!
Old 14 Jun 2007, 16:56 (Ref:1936958)   #87
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...oonsatsnet.jpg...

Last edited by COLIN STUBBS; 14 Jun 2007 at 17:00.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1937613)   #88
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That's 1984 I reckon. Good pic!

I believe that's probably a Monroe round. Albert Mirko's 635 ahead (he only went and entered that in standard spec at the Brands GP BTCC supporting round as well!!!???) from McLennan, Lanfranchi and god know's about the Capri in 4th? Look like Gerry's Autoplan 'shell' further back with Blue roof

There's at least 3 Astra's there though, I can only remember one at the time! Think David Da Costa ran one.

Would be a good one to post in the prodsaloon thread!! Might try and move it later..
Old 15 Jun 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1937697)   #89
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:

I believe that's probably a Monroe round. Albert Mirko's 635 ahead (he only went and entered that in standard spec at the Brands GP BTCC supporting round as well!!!???) from McLennan, Lanfranchi and god know's about the Capri in 4th? Look like Gerry's Autoplan 'shell' further back with Blue roof

There's at least 3 Astra's there though, I can only remember one at the time! Think David Da Costa ran one.
I'd agree '84 or maybe '85, which I think more likely, as Tony L is in the red fronted Monza and this would have meant that Cleland and Dad would have been in their Monzas, possible at the front and maybe why not in the picture?

I would guess that one os the Astras is John Llewelyn, Davd DC probably another and how about Terry Nithingale in one? He definitely race a Mk2 Astra.

No sure though, educated guessing only!!
Old 15 Jun 2007, 14:09 (Ref:1937698)   #90
GBRM
Veteran

England
I've managed to enlarge the picture and not lose too much quality, the first Astra behind the black Colt is definitely John L, you can see on the front in red it says The Bear and Ragged Staff, a hostillery owned by Howard Hill Lines and one of John's friends/sponsors. Also it has a similar sun strip to Tony's Monza, so definitely John and it also makes me positive Dad would have been in a Monza then so I would hazard a guess the Capri is Eric Cook (Dad's father in law) in his old Capri.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1937776)   #91
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Would be a good one to post in the prodsaloon thread!! Might try and move it later..
There's a Volvo in there as well!!!- alongside the second of the Capris (the blue one) I do remember a Volvo appearing in prodsaloon races in 85- as I recall, it was a 4-door 244, rather than the 2-door turbo as raced in Group A, so it looked a bit like a taxi had been let loose on the track...

The sponsor was something to do with printed circuits or something like that, and the car was shared by a couple of drivers, (possibly one doing Uniroyal races and the other doing Monroes?)- I think they eventually did the sensible thing and bought an RS Turbo for 86....
Old 15 Jun 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1937794)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I would guess that one os the Astras is John Llewelyn, Davd DC probably another and how about Terry Nightingale in one? He definitely race a Mk2 Astra.

No sure though, educated guessing only!!
Reckon you're spot on with those names, in fact more likely to have been JL and TN than DDC??! although for the purpose of identifying the ones in this shot it's probably those 3 as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I do remember a Volvo appearing in prodsaloon races in 85- as I recall, it was a 4-door 244, rather than the 2-door turbo as raced in Group A, so it looked a bit like a taxi had been let loose on the track...the car was shared by a couple of drivers, (possibly one doing Uniroyal races and the other doing Monroes?)- I think they eventually did the sensible thing and bought an RS Turbo for 86....
Might have been Jim Wheals and someone? I don't recall it ever being as far up the field as it is in this shot!!!

It's gotta be 1984 because the grids were usually a bit smaller in Monroe series than in Uniroyal and there's a few knackered Celicas lurching down the straight as well, people like Ray Calcutt and Chris Conolly had cars like that?

Mirko only did the one season IIRC too?
Old 15 Jun 2007, 18:40 (Ref:1937875)   #93
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Reckon you're spot on with those names, in fact more likely to have been JL and TN than DDC??! although for the purpose of identifying the ones in this shot it's probably those 3 as you say.

Might have been Jim Wheals and someone? I don't recall it ever being as far up the field as it is in this shot!!!

It's gotta be 1984 because the grids were usually a bit smaller in Monroe series than in Uniroyal and there's a few knackered Celicas lurching down the straight as well, people like Ray Calcutt and Chris Conolly had cars like that?

Mirko only did the one season IIRC too?
Think I'd agree on 84- those are Mk1 Astras, and I'm pretty sure Llewellyn & co had all moved on to Mk2's by 85. The first prodsaloon race I ever saw was the Uniroyal round supporting the TT, and I don't ever remember seeing Mk1 Astras in prodsaloons.

Jim Wheals does ring a bell for the Volvo...
Old 15 Jun 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1937928)   #94
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Think I'd agree on 84- those are Mk1 Astras, and I'm pretty sure Llewellyn & co had all moved on to Mk2's by 85. The first prodsaloon race I ever saw was the Uniroyal round supporting the TT, and I don't ever remember seeing Mk1 Astras in prodsaloons.

Jim Wheals does ring a bell for the Volvo...
I don't remember John L driving a Mk2 Astra, not saying he didn't but I don't remember it. He went off the Saab challenge about '86/87 and he definitely raced Dad's Monza once or twice in '85 but I don't recall him in a Mk2 Astra or racing in Prod Saloons in '86.

Funnily enough I seem to recall there were less Mk2 Astras then there was Mk1s as everyone has Fiats and Golfs or moved down a class to Novas.

John L certainly raced a Mk1 Astra in prod saloons as I remember him writing it off at the Willhire!!
Old 16 Jun 2007, 08:34 (Ref:1938196)   #95
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
As far as mk1 Astras go there was 2 badged as Opels. One raced by my good friend Sharon Nickerson [ex wife of "Chuck Nicholson"] and James Kaye,seen here doing a spot of post qualifying/pre race panel beating after rolling it at Snetterton.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b.../astrakaye.jpg

And the Volvo........
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...by44/volvo.jpg

And heres a close call! we havnt mentioned Alfas yet......
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ralfacapri.jpg
Old 16 Jun 2007, 13:41 (Ref:1938395)   #96
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
And heres a close call! we havnt mentioned Alfas yet......
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ralfacapri.jpg
Crikey what a shot, you're a dab hand at this Colin!!

Is that Dave Cox's name on that Blue Capri???? didn't he end up doing road saloons and then endless one make stuff instead Or is that a different Dave Cox?

Rover - Pete Hall's. Looks lovely and new in that shot, but as you say a close call!!

The Alfa I reckon is a 2.0 GTV Alfetta and must be Micky Bolton or Bob Buttery, someone like that??
Old 16 Jun 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1938522)   #97
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks mate! it was a long time ago with me old Zenit E. Nice to share some of the old pics though isnt it?
Old 16 Jun 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1938617)   #98
KA
Veteran

Quote:
I don't remember John L driving a Mk2 Astra, not saying he didn't but I don't remember it. He went off the Saab challenge about '86/87 and he definitely raced Dad's Monza once or twice in '85 but I don't recall him in a Mk2 Astra or racing in Prod Saloons in '86.

Funnily enough I seem to recall there were less Mk2 Astras then there was Mk1s as everyone has Fiats and Golfs or moved down a class to Novas.

John L certainly raced a Mk1 Astra in prod saloons as I remember him writing it off at the Willhire!!
I'll have a dig through my old photos- been meaning to post a few, although I don't think I've got much prodsaloon stuff- I know I've got some pics of a Mk2 being pulled out of the gravel at Copse after the Uniroyal race at the 85 TT meeting which I thought was John L, but I wouldn't be sure without checking it against the race programme. I definitely remember there being quite a few Novas in 85- James Kaye etc
Old 16 Jun 2007, 16:19 (Ref:1938639)   #99
KA
Veteran

Quote:
Rover - Pete Hall's. Looks lovely and new in that shot, but as you say a close call!!
Hmm, Pete Hall's Rover- a quote from the 1985 Bathurst yearbook

'The no16 example, a pukka English entry, was also an Andy Rouse-built machine and was in fact driven by Rouse in 1984. It was originally built for production racing and had done a hard season in that form before being purchased by Englishman Lawrence Fagg, who converted it to Group A and brought it to Bathurst for fellow Englishmen Barry Robinson and Jon Jeffery to drive. The car raced with carburettors on its 3.5 litre V8 and rear drums which contributed to it being uncompetitive in what was to be its last race before sale'

The Bathurst entry was in the name of Flexible Hose Supplies Ltd, which definitely rings a bell from somewhere- (did they sponsor a prodsaloon team by any chance? I'm sure I recall the name in connection with 1980's racing...) Robinson & Jeffery qualified down in 51st of 52 and retired with accident damage after 59 laps.

Is this the ex-Pete Hall car, or did Rouse build and drive any other prod saloon Rovers? and, with the Group A Rover thread in mind, what happened to it after it's Australian adventure? As far as I can see, there aren't any pics in the Bathurst book showing it
Old 16 Jun 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1938891)   #100
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Bathurst entry was in the name of Flexible Hose Supplies Ltd, which definitely rings a bell from somewhere. Is this the ex-Pete Hall car, or did Rouse build and drive any other prod saloon Rovers? and, with the Group A Rover thread in mind, what happened to it after it's Australian adventure? As far as I can see, there aren't any pics in the Bathurst book showing it
The only recollection I have of this car is on the '85 BBC highlights. The famous overhead camera shot as the cars speed along Conrod 'towards you'. It was white all over IIRC.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rouse built more than one for Pete though?

Hall's was the only Vitesse in prodsaloons in 1984, I think. In 1985 Bob Irving brought his out which was white incidentally. Any chance that was the ex Hall car and the one that went to Bathurst? as I don't think Bob raced it again in 1986...