Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 May 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4051436)   #3426
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
but the very same youtube channel introduction is a montage of bad crashes . Makes me think that actually the person who put this together is a complete hypocrite. Do they like motorsport for the sport or are they are they just gleefully enjoying the bad accidents?
To be honest - I think this is a bit of an image problem that BTCC has struggled to shake, and they do themselves no favours on this.
If you look at montages or clip videos that the BTCC puts together, they include big shunts from the past which at times seems to be celebratory.

Yes - I appreciate that some of the big shunts have been the most memorable moments in BTCC history, but on occasion this is for the wrong reason. As long as the BTCC entices fans with clips of accidents, then fans who want to see accidents is what they will get.
Old 13 May 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4051455)   #3427
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not pretend that typically at least half the crowd at your normal BTCC event isn't waiting for the next big crash, in the same way a NASCAR crowd does.
Old 13 May 2021, 11:52 (Ref:4051456)   #3428
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Fingers crossed for Mr W.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

https://youtu.be/DmDywnXM1Vs
What a load of cr&p classic Internet dross
Old 13 May 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4051470)   #3429
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I’m no fan of his at all but that is actually incredibly easy to do.
Agreed. In a racing car, left-foot braking, just after the start with a hard launch, yes, it is very easy to do.
Old 13 May 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4051480)   #3430
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
Agreed. In a racing car, left-foot braking, just after the start with a hard launch, yes, it is very easy to do.
I can only imagine that pushing the clutch down feels just like a jammed throttle or no brakes however ......
Old 13 May 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4051485)   #3431
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
I can only imagine that pushing the clutch down feels just like a jammed throttle or no brakes however ......
Believe it or not - coming off the throttle and pressing the clutch pedal will feel exactly like having no brakes......

And for those who are wondering how close the clutch and brake pedals are aligned in a BTCC car - the pedals are deliberately mounted to be in direct alignment:

Old 13 May 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4051517)   #3432
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So now I see why he thought he had a braking problem if he got his pedals mixed up. I agree with Paul O’Neill, he needs to come out and explain and apologise for his mistake
Old 13 May 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4051518)   #3433
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the guy can't find the brake pedal then he shouldn't have a road license let alone be on a racetrack.
Old 13 May 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4051521)   #3434
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;4051485]Believe it or not - coming off the throttle and pressing the clutch pedal will feel exactly like having no brakes......

I think that’s what I said
Old 13 May 2021, 20:26 (Ref:4051538)   #3435
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Why do I suspect those who doubt have probably never driven a racing car in anger.

It’s incredibly easy to do.
Old 13 May 2021, 20:33 (Ref:4051540)   #3436
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh i don’t think anyone doubts that’s the real cause. i think they’re just not very impressed…
Old 13 May 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4051547)   #3437
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Why do I suspect those who doubt have probably never driven a racing car in anger.

It’s incredibly easy to do.
These are supposed to be the best drivers in the country not clubbie novices. Anyone who can't master the basics of a difficult pedal box can't call themselves one of the best drivers in the country and questions should be asked.

And yes I have raced, yes I still compete and yes I know what the pressures inside the cockpit are.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2021, 23:23 (Ref:4051555)   #3438
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s a surprise it doesn’t happen all the time!

Seriously, when was the last time you heard of this happening?
Old 13 May 2021, 23:54 (Ref:4051557)   #3439
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
These are supposed to be the best drivers in the country not clubbie novices. Anyone who can't master the basics of a difficult pedal box can't call themselves one of the best drivers in the country and questions should be asked.

And yes I have raced, yes I still compete and yes I know what the pressures inside the cockpit are.
Interestingly there is at least one other driver on the grid, with BTCC victories to their name, who has gone on public record to state that they feel it's an understandable mistake to make (pressing clutch, not brake). They also admit that they have done similar in a touring car....
Old 14 May 2021, 01:16 (Ref:4051567)   #3440
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who was it?
Old 14 May 2021, 05:55 (Ref:4051583)   #3441
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
https://youtu.be/xI8bGAHwaQA

That’s how you do it!
Old 14 May 2021, 07:15 (Ref:4051589)   #3442
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
https://youtu.be/xI8bGAHwaQA

That’s how you do it!
That's how you do it if you brake with your right foot. Neate is a left foot braker so that video is totally irrelevant.

The suggestion from Paul O'Neill's video is that Neate was looking at Jade's car to the side of him and didn't see the cars in front lift off. He panicked, went to hit the brake but got the wrong pedal. I stress that is still partly speculation on O'Neill's part. It's a plausible explanation, albeit one that shows a lack of spatial awareness and a lack of understanding that cars will naturally bunch up at the first corner.

I think part of the issue is if that is genuinely what happened, then just put your hand up and admit you made a mistake. Don't try to pass it off with some BS about a problem with the car.
Old 14 May 2021, 07:26 (Ref:4051592)   #3443
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Believe it or not - coming off the throttle and pressing the clutch pedal will feel exactly like having no brakes......

And for those who are wondering how close the clutch and brake pedals are aligned in a BTCC car - the pedals are deliberately mounted to be in direct alignment:

I can buy the story of getting the wrong pedal, or multiple pedals. That pedal box is very compact.

Many years ago as an inexperienced driver in an unfamiliar car - a dinky Pug 106 - I had to slam on the brake to avoid an idiot coming out of a side street but ended up with the car accelerating. The cause being close together pedals and big feet - I had slammed the brake to the bulkhead but taken the throttle down with it. Accident thankfully avoided due to quick reactions and the nimbleness of the little Pug!
Old 14 May 2021, 08:11 (Ref:4051594)   #3444
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Neate had to swerve to avoid the BMW that shot up the inside so he was probably all over his mirrors rather than looking forwards. As Harvey said in the first race the first corner is normally flat out from a standing start so he probably wasn't thinking about braking. Personally I think the armchair critics are being way too harsh on him considering the series but I do worry about his spatial awareness at times.

After all the touch Turkington had on Sutton could have caused just as spectacular a crash if there were more cars around and the Shedden one could have been a total train wreck very easily. If Neate had been the offending driver in either case people would still have been calling for him to be hung from the nearest tree.

I liken coverage outside of the top 10 in BTCC to a reality TV show. How you are perceived is totally in the hands of what the ITV director chooses to show. The armchair critics think Neate crashes every race because they only show him when he does as they also think that Hamilton is in the gravel or having incidents every race as they also only show him when he does.
Old 14 May 2021, 08:43 (Ref:4051598)   #3445
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Who was it?
Ollie Jackson. He has also gone to great lengths to explain the difference between left and right foot braking, and why being a left foot braker makes it complex at the start of the race (line lock, holding car with right foot etc.)
Old 14 May 2021, 08:57 (Ref:4051600)   #3446
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That's how you do it if you brake with your right foot. Neate is a left foot braker so that video is totally irrelevant.

The suggestion from Paul O'Neill's video is that Neate was looking at Jade's car to the side of him and didn't see the cars in front lift off. He panicked, went to hit the brake but got the wrong pedal. I stress that is still partly speculation on O'Neill's part. It's a plausible explanation, albeit one that shows a lack of spatial awareness and a lack of understanding that cars will naturally bunch up at the first corner.

I think part of the issue is if that is genuinely what happened, then just put your hand up and admit you made a mistake. Don't try to pass it off with some BS about a problem with the car.
I think you will find Van Gisbergen manages to use both!
Old 14 May 2021, 11:55 (Ref:4051634)   #3447
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
oh i don’t think anyone doubts that’s the real cause. i think they’re just not very impressed…
I doubt it and don't care what people think of that. My opinion with his track record. First it went from jammed throttle, to failed brakes to pressing the clutch instead. Just a book of excuses.
Old 14 May 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4051648)   #3448
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
He hasn't used the classic "the guy in front reversed into me" one yet!

In his defence, for once, he was probably in a state of shock during and after the accident, and shock can badly affect us all. Recollection of events can be become jumbled.
Old 14 May 2021, 13:04 (Ref:4051654)   #3449
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever the reason behind his accident is, I don't think it's a coincidence that quite a number of times already where an accident was, Neate was there as well.
He may not be as much of an idiot on track as some of us think of him but he's just not good enough for BTCC - his pace, spatial awareness, being accident-prone and now he's going to deal with his unfortunate comment that tried to put a blame on his own team. I understand he's got a passion for motorsport and has money to do it but BTCC should be about the best touring car drivers in country so it's clearly not a place for him.
Old 14 May 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4051659)   #3450
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
I doubt it and don't care what people think of that. My opinion with his track record. First it went from jammed throttle, to failed brakes to pressing the clutch instead. Just a book of excuses.
Its a point of view. However when the baying for blood stops surely it is plausible that in the melee of the first corner a brain on overload could mistake disengaging the clutch with a stuck throttle or brake failure. How about accepting it was just a mistake? A stupid mistake but a mistake. Telling deliberate lies it almost certainly wasn't. Just hope the team and Edwards / Geddy get a proper genuine apology.....

Last edited by billy bleach; 14 May 2021 at 13:34.