Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:24 (Ref:3874528)   #276
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
From what I've been told its related to mothers in law. When using a hatch, anything you put in the luggage compartment can be heard. Loudly sometimes. If you go for trunk version, no more noise!
Its works with Spanish and with Portuguese even better!
I like that reason!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3874529)   #277
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry, my bad, the Renault Siete was produced and sod before the 5 model. Not really important, both are ugly things. Practical but ugly!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3874530)   #278
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
C'on, Fat Clerk, 204 kph means you didn't put the fourth gear of it was the running in period…*You dont go to Autosport because you already got your bespoke balaclavas last year, I presume…

Ha ben non, Viva, le jeudi ce ne sera pas possible pour moi! I was on the "should I stay or should I go" mode but got an appointment to try and find answers to technical questions. Friday was the soonest to get a decent rate for the plane. I guess its impossible for you to stay till Friday or change something to your agenda. Sad!

Andy, this time we should introduce ourselves, only mountains can't meet. I throw you my mobile phone number via PM, my flight should land around 10:10, its a FlyBe one. I'll happily buy the beer or coffee, whatever. Dont tell me about the kind of food we can find there, its not my first visit and more or less same situation in all shows all over the world!

Just hope we dont meet too many french, they are boring, have no education and no culture. OK, if PA exhibits, I'll make and exception to the rule. May be…
Sorry Gerard, others I've already arranged to meet up with will only be there on Thursday and I had a big enough job being allowed out of work for the one day! Maybe next year?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:33 (Ref:3874531)   #279
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Mike, we have the same taste! If you're tempted by roof bars, mind you it will destroy the aerodynamic coefficient… Depending of the mother in law, 'f course!

John, what is exactly an Austin Victoria? An ADO 16 with a trunk? We call that "une voiture sac Ã* dos", in your words a back pack.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3874533)   #280
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Maybe next year?
We'll drink to that, cheers! Enjoy the show.
By the way, do you know if there is an official Sparco importer there? I often meet French representing a well known company involved in this field, but I'd like to go for another supplier…
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3874536)   #281
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
The Renault 7 was definitely ‘hit by the ugly stick’....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_7

Gerard, Demon Tweeks used to have a stand at the show, but no idea if they still do.

Correct, Victoria was a booted ADO16.....
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3874538)   #282
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Imdeed, although I prefer the 'mercan view. Fell out of an ugly tree and hit every damn branch on the way down!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3874541)   #283
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
John, what is exactly an Austin Victoria? An ADO 16 with a trunk? We call that "une voiture sac Ã* dos", in your words a back pack.

It resemble the illegitimate product of a one night stand with a threesome - an Austin 1100, a Triumph Dolomite and a Triumph 2000. Mind you, I can't tell who the mother was nor who were the fathers.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3874544)   #284
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Mind you, I can't tell who the mother was nor who were the fathers.
Like your picture even if I always found the Dolly Sprint really nice looking. A matter of taste may be. In France where we have no mechanics able to fix this lovely Triumph, the good side is we can detail them thoroughly, because they are garaged!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3874548)   #285
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Imdeed, although I prefer the 'mercan view. Fell out of an ugly tree and hit every damn branch on the way down!
The Victoria, as Mike describes.... https://oldtimerdaily.com/the-spanis...y-knows-about/

The Ford Orion is almost a beaut in comparison!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 18:57 (Ref:3874550)   #286
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We'll drink to that, cheers! Enjoy the show.
By the way, do you know if there is an official Sparco importer there? I often meet French representing a well known company involved in this field, but I'd like to go for another supplier…
Cheers Gerard, I will raise a glass to you, I hope you enjoy Friday. As has already been said, Demon Tweeks do usually have a (huge!) stand at the show, plus a number of others, as I'm not in the market for that kind of stuff myself I don't usually pay much attention to that kind of thing...
Old 7 Jan 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3874559)   #287
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The Victoria, as Mike describes.... https://oldtimerdaily.com/the-spanis...y-knows-about/

Mustn't leave the Germans out - the VW Jetta (at least in original form) & Derby were not exactly beauty queens either.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3874560)   #288
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, Mike H, I was joking and you made me voiceless with your edible panties story. How could one imagine that? Did you female clients become women of good taste?

So as not to spoil the other thread, I've brought this here.

At the time, I was only keeping a watching brief over our manufacturing side, and was more concerned with our two other businesses. So how we got involved with the edible panties I cannot now remember, but we used to be approached by many companies/individuals to produce bespoke off-the-wall disposable products. I had learnt how to re-engineers our machinery to make lots of things the machines were never designed to do, and I had passed on my knowledge to one of our machine minders.

Which brings me back to the Chukka Panties and also the edible ones (they were given a name, but for the life of me I cannot remember it). At the time, we had recently taken over a company that owned a couple of hotels in London plus some restaurants - one a 5* job in Kensington and the other just skirting Central London which was only 4*. Anyway, one day while I was looking over the books for the hotels, I noticed that the 4* hotel was letting out the rooms on an hourly basis.

When I queried this with the management, they told me that this was because a large proportion of the rooms at times would be taken by foreign airlines for their aircrew to rest up before making their return journeys. And as the rooms might only be occupied for maybe 8 to 12 hours, the airlines were offered hourly rates for the rooms, although in reality they were actually paying the full 24 hour occupancy race but it was divided by 12 to give an hourly rate. Follow me so far, and I will get to the panties.

What I shortly realised was that the reception staff had twigged on to what management was doing, so they decided to go into business for themselves, and so started to let out the rooms on an hourly basis to a large number of London's working girls. And the hotel soon became known to the underworld as the world's most expensive knocking shop.

And the Chukka Panties? Well, the enterprising chamber staff started putting packs of the panties in each room being let out to the working girls, along with the usual soaps, Eau de toilette and such like.

Having one of London's top restaurants in the hotel, I quickly took the decision that we would have to stop the illicit trade, if only to save the blushes of some of our more staid patrons!
Old 7 Jan 2019, 20:46 (Ref:3874569)   #289
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So was the hotel still profitable after dropping the panties trade?

I think a de-brief might be enlightening in business terms despite the passing of years.
Old 7 Jan 2019, 21:10 (Ref:3874575)   #290
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Did you female clients become women of good taste?
Old 7 Jan 2019, 22:35 (Ref:3874589)   #291
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I saw one at the NEC classic about 3 years ago!
Although I think it was called an Morris or Leyland Nomad?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 00:03 (Ref:3874596)   #292
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the edible panties.

ISTR Sarah Kennedy regularly used to play a song called"Don't stick stickers on my paper knickers" during her Radio 2 show.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 8 Jan 2019, 00:21 (Ref:3874601)   #293
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Talking of saloon versions of hatchbacks generally, go to Spain and you’ll find booted versions that you never knew existed. Sure Gordon would be able to name several! Seems that the Spanish just- like them.....
The cars down here seem to be Froggie or German variants, however apart from a very small "microcar" that will "just about" seat two people and seems to be "powered" by a noisy rattley lawn mower engine most of the cars that are actually made (or assembled) here are Seat and VW.
To be quite honest the Spanish powers that be are quite tough on their ITV (MOT) and there doesn't seem to be much of the old "clutter" on the roads like there was 15 years ago. We live down on the playa and not the campo where no doubt there are a few old vehicles still kicking about. I have probably got the oldest car where I am a 2003 Pug 206 ! Saying that only yesterday I did see half a dozen old Land Rovers parked up in an overgrown garden in the next village !
I also saw a "retro" sports car called a Hurtan down the front a couple of years ago but don't know much about them except they are made in Andalucia. Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurtan.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	52388

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 8 Jan 2019 at 00:38.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2019, 05:08 (Ref:3874652)   #294
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
What a nice story, Mike H, thanks a lot. You ask some questions here, I'll try my best to find an answer:
So how we got involved with the edible panties I cannot now remember Its a f-good question! You were young, Elzheimher comes later…
And the hotel soon became known to the underworld as the world's most expensive knocking shop.Connaught or Dorchester? Anyway surely you had many clients involved in the F1 field and… may be more! Did you find any htp form?
so they decided to go into business for themselves I'm so much with you, we can't imagine how much onanism spoils working time. Hence the famous: les français au boulot sont des branleurs!

Last edited by Gerard C; 8 Jan 2019 at 05:18.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 05:11 (Ref:3874653)   #295
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gordon is your Hurt-tan an evolution of a Siata Spring?
Old 8 Jan 2019, 05:28 (Ref:3874654)   #296
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I saw one at the NEC classic about 3 years ago!
Although I think it was called an Morris or Leyland Nomad?
Well remembered James! Appears the Nomad was a hatchback version of the ADO16 and sold down under....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Nomad
Old 8 Jan 2019, 07:38 (Ref:3874659)   #297
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Still I can't see the interest of a car designed like a hatch with no rear door… This opinion was shared by many French potential customers, hence the sales figures.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3874662)   #298
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
AlfaSud!

The Rochdale Olympic was a good example, they only made the phase 1 for a short while then put a hatch in the rear . . . that was 1963

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochda...d_Phase_II.jpg

Quote:
Still I can't see the interest of a car designed like a hatch with no rear door… This opinion was shared by many French potential customers, hence the sales figures.
Old 8 Jan 2019, 08:06 (Ref:3874663)   #299
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Still working hard on Mike H's post. Just found this which corresponds to high end Kensington hotel…
https://www.thekeycollections.com/th...CAAEgLEgfD_BwE

Anyway, its good to hear that hotels marketing teams work hard, all the job being based on their customers habits. In England, you can be charged on an hourly basis. We have almost the same here, but its a minute basis! With some improvement we can expect a matter of seconds! Happy day!
Old 8 Jan 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3874665)   #300
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes Zef, the very good Alfa Sud was proposed either as a two door or a three door, at least on the French market. The two door was preferred for race use, its body being said more rigid. AFAIR, the profile was almost identical.

Never heard about Rochdale before (911 headlights?). Do you consider its design influenced the Lancia Fulvia Zagato?