Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 Jun 2010, 07:29 (Ref:2710641)   #1
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans 2010 - Standing on concrete barriers

Hi...don't wish to start a big flap about safety at Le Mans...but can a Marshal who has been there please explain:

a) Why it is necessary to stand on the concrete barrier, or on a step maybe one foot below, to Flag at some posts? (probably to get up high enough to give the drivers sufficient warning)

b) Why is it condoned? (Marshals exposed to unecessary danger)

c) If the answer is "because it is", then thats fine, that I understand!!

Yours in Motorsport...Mick
Old 13 Jun 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2710688)   #2
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also noticed that some of the yellow flag marshals were going out to the incidents to wave the flag, is that the norm in France?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2710779)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've seen it quite often in European racing, so I'd guess it's considered normal.

Looking at some of the flag points, they seem to be a concrete pad built level with the top of the wall. Not keen on that idea at all.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2710909)   #4
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I've seen it quite often in European racing, so I'd guess it's considered normal.

Looking at some of the flag points, they seem to be a concrete pad built level with the top of the wall. Not keen on that idea at all.
Well...pads above the concrete barrier can be OK...if there is sufficient protection or a decent escape route for the soft and squishy Marshals...but at Le Mans they are just steps (temporary even) let into the concrete barrier.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2710938)   #5
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was more worried about the marshal standing on the apex at Arnage waving down the cars, he nearly got run over twice and still went back for more.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2711055)   #6
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
I was more worried about the marshal standing on the apex at Arnage waving down the cars, he nearly got run over twice and still went back for more.
And he crossed the track to do it!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2711060)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Having spectated at at Arnage a couple of years ago, when there was an incident, this tends to be the norm. The flag marshal was also stood on the apex.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 01:41 (Ref:2711580)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
The old ways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Having spectated at at Arnage a couple of years ago, when there was an incident, this tends to be the norm. The flag marshal was also stood on the apex.
Yep Nick....obviously Marshaling in accordance with the old rules where just about anything went...I'm sure that standing on the track may also be the only way to get some peoples attention as well!

I have no axe to grind here...just curious...BTW what does the blue book say about Marshals sense of balance requirements...ex-Circus types should apply maybe!!

[Any one else having trouble logging onto and navigating TNF? My connection is pure shyte at the moment...I log in and do one thing then it locks up!! Very frustrating...tis why I have been missing in action lately! ]
Old 16 Jun 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2713204)   #9
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
From memory of seeing it on the big screen, I can only assume that he was waving cars away from the vehicle as it was pushed across to the inside of the corner. However, he just arrived a little too early and ended up pushing the cars towards the stationary vehicle.

A pretty brave move to stand right there, but not quite as brave as facing down an accelerating GroupC car on the start/finish because they ended the race early, and he was waving them in to Parc Ferme!! That man must have *flags of steel*!!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 08:07 (Ref:2711707)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The trouble with that chap was, that to avoid the incident drivers would have to turn-in late and take a late apex. Standing on the middle of the apex forced drivers out wide, and towards the incident!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2711745)   #11
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Concrete to stand on ? Luxury !!

In '91 at Le Mans, we stood on a straw bale at post 35bis, which is just past the restaurants on the Mulsanne.

You didn't need ExLax if you were having any digestive issues !!! Particularly as this was where the works Mercedes team mounted their speed trap !
Old 14 Jun 2010, 11:37 (Ref:2711814)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
The trouble with that chap was, that to avoid the incident drivers would have to turn-in late and take a late apex. Standing on the middle of the apex forced drivers out wide, and towards the incident!
Great wasn't it! Outstanding piece of incompetence.. And a little scary.

Last edited by Dan Friel; 14 Jun 2010 at 11:39. Reason: iPhone cock up!
Old 14 Jun 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2711967)   #13
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best bit of the flagging was at the end of the Group C race, they flagged them into the pit lane exit, as they were being checkered at start line. brave or what.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2712004)   #14
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
slowly catching up with the coverage after spending Sunday at Mallory. during the Kolles incident at the Porsche curves you got a good shot of the flag marshal after the incident with 2 others. it seems the walls are either very tall or the marshals are as short as me . The ground behind the wall is the same level as that in front and the flaggy has no option but to stand like that in order to do their job. they would only just be able to see traffic and certainly won't be able to wave without banging their arm on the wall.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2713178)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Ohhhh come on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
slowly catching up with the coverage after spending Sunday at Mallory. during the Kolles incident at the Porsche curves you got a good shot of the flag marshal after the incident with 2 others. it seems the walls are either very tall or the marshals are as short as me . The ground behind the wall is the same level as that in front and the flaggy has no option but to stand like that in order to do their job. they would only just be able to see traffic and certainly won't be able to wave without banging their arm on the wall.
Hepatic...WADR....I have flagged many many times just like that...difficult because you have to remember to keep your feet a respectable distance from the base of the block....in the event that a car impacts and breaks your ankles.

I really can't see why there is a need to expose yourself to danger like that when the more sensible thing is to get down behind the barrier and Flag at drivers eye level!
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2713706)   #16
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at my picture to the left, this was actually taken by Snapper Baz a few years ago at the first turn at Croix, what you can't see is that we were up above the track by at least 6 foot on a concrete base reached only by a small lader. Despite no other protection it was a perfectly safe place to flag from and offered a great view from both the marshals and drivers view point. Perhaps this is just the way the French do it, either way we had a cracking day out.

Bladders......................
Old 17 Jun 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2713764)   #17
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

And once you were up that ladder, it was a complicated job getting you down after 2 large baguettes!! I recall a small hoist was used.......or did Monsieur Manitou assist ??
Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2713941)   #18
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was a complicated job getting you down after 2 large baguettes!!

If I remember correctly, one baguette was ham and cheese and the other one was cheese and ham, very tasty!!!

Bladders........
Old 17 Jun 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2713947)   #19
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Manitou was probably too busy picking shattered glass out of jambon et fromage sandwich. Never seen so much damage caused by a car spinning into a gravel trap...
Old 18 Jun 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2714327)   #20
Mr Smith
Rookie

England
Sussex
Mr Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little bit off topic - how do you go about volunteering for Le Mans and is there any minimum experience requirements?
Old 18 Jun 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2714380)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
it's a bit late on friday Mr Smith, but the quick answers are
it's easy
yes there is
but it can be a bit confusing.
Either search 10ths for more info...
or best of all, find somebody that marshals there (like me) and talk to them...
Old 21 Jun 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2715676)   #22
Mr Smith
Rookie

England
Sussex
Bodysnatcher

I have had a bit of a look around and have checked the ACO web site as well but haven't been able to gleen too much info.

I've only started marshaling this year and could do with pointing in the right direction, obviously I'm not looking to run before I can walk and am probably thinking of doing Le Mans in about 2 years.....

Any advise would be great
Old 26 Jun 2010, 08:04 (Ref:2718088)   #23
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In "my day" you had to be a Red Badge to marshal abroad but don't know how it works under the new system. You will need a letter from the MSA confirming that you can marshal abroad. We get ours as a standard now but assume you have to apply.

Slightly changing topic: I recall spraining my ankle on the "gentle" return up hill from rushing down to deal with a burnt out McLaren F1 and then standing, one-legged, on the track with the oil (slippery surface) flag ahead of the guys dressing the slick.
(And that year, 1997, we covered both sides of the track and had 8.6 seconds to change over)

Aah! - the quirks of working at Le Mans!
Old 26 Jun 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2718263)   #24
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apply via the MSA (the only way ACO will accept UK marshals) by November this year for next year's race. You must be graded above trainee and be below 50 years of age for your first race there.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2718424)   #25
Mr Smith
Rookie

England
Sussex
Thanks for all the advice.... Hopefully by November I'll meet those criteria, and if I haven't upgraded I'ved got a couple of years to comply....