Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Jun 2010, 06:44 (Ref:2717223)   #1
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
A very public Thank You

4.15PM BST today marks the 10th anniversary of an event that was to change the direction of my life. To all family, friends, old and new aquaintances alike - Thank You all for helping me rediscover life, who I am, and where I am now going. There are still many challanges ahead, but your support makes meeting them head-on so much easier.

At the same time, RIP Andy Carpenter who perished in the same incident.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 07:59 (Ref:2717261)   #2
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice post Steve, it's still sad that you have to make it but at least you are here to make it.

My thoughts go out to all involved in the incident, sometimes it's too easy to forget that pople like you live with the effects of these incidents day in, day out.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 10:34 (Ref:2717326)   #3
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What goes around comes around, I thank you for all your support and help you gave me 4 years ago on Saturday when Chris died. Marshals make very good friends for life.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2717401)   #4
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's worth thanking you for the inspiration you have quietly given to hundreds, possibly thousands of marshals, not to mention disabled folk in general. Courage is a rare thing. Many of us wear 'Heros' badges, but you've earned yours. Thank you.

Phil
Old 24 Jun 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2717579)   #5
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope to see you at thruxton on sunday steve, dosnt time whizz by, things have have turned out ok for you know...you found a good women to move forward with...
can you pm your mobile number seemed to have lost it during my last round of company changeovers...phone swopping...DOH.

Cheers Tony W
Old 24 Jun 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2717594)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheers Steve. I never forget that day but only smile when I see you around and being cheerful.

RIP Andy and John.

Best wishes.

Jim
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2717891)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't believe it was 10 years ago - still seems more recent than that.

Steve - you always bring joy with your positive outlook on life. Keep it up!
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2717895)   #8
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceswan View Post
What goes around comes around, I thank you for all your support and help you gave me 4 years ago on Saturday when Chris died. Marshals make very good friends for life.

Slightly hijacking this Thread:

Joyce,
I can't believe it has been 4 years since we were subject to Chris's inimitable and unique personality. I can still picture him at sign-on like it was yesterday.

Getting back on Thread:

Isn't it great that Steve can carry on marshalling. Gives me hope as the knees get worse and worse that there will be something I can do in the long term.

Steve - Did you manage Le Mans this year?
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2717899)   #9
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Isn't it great that Steve can carry on marshalling. Gives me hope as the knees get worse and worse that there will be something I can do in the long term.

Steve - Did you manage Le Mans this year?
Shelagh, thank you! There have been some who think I should never have wanted to come back, but I put that down to their being insecure and that I reminded them of what could have happened to them. Yes, there have been hurdles to clear (H&S in the UK, etc), but by negotiation rather than dictation I have been able to show (and lead for others) that having an incomplete body isn't an excuse for exclusion.

I indeed made it once again to poste 106 for the 24 hours, and will be returning there again in 2 weeks time for the LM Classic (done Bernie's clubbie so doing something I haven't done before with the blessing of the ACO). Just wish the rain would stay away on race week, at least this time I have a house to stay at rather than a tent!!!!
Old 25 Jun 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2717908)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Steve,

Hurrah on the Le Mans front. I know it is a battle every year.

Keep inspiring us!

Shelagh
Old 25 Jun 2010, 18:17 (Ref:2717942)   #11
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Steve for your thoughts, and likewise RIP Andy.

I will be taking time at the Festival this year to have a few quiet minutes.

Events like that can take a toll on anyone, and it is so good to see you at circuits round the world still doing what you have always loved.

On a darker side, flashbacks and "what if" scenarios can occur months or years after. I recommend if any of you are involved in a traumatic incident to remember BMMC and other clubs can get you professional counseling.
Old 25 Jun 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2717976)   #12
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been a spectator the fateful day at Goodwood in my pre race marshalling days and quickly realising that the incident was very serious and then having had the honour of meeting Steve during the 2006 Rally Endeavour at Mallory Park when I had been race marshalling for a couple of seasons and answering a plea for help,

What an inspiration he is to the marshalling fraternity to show what can be done, all of us can learn from him in terms of dealing with adversity

Keep it up and I'm sure our paths will cross again soon,
Old 26 Jun 2010, 09:18 (Ref:2718130)   #13
Maranello Man
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
Maranello Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are a lesson to us all Steve and it's always a pleasure to see you at circuits round the country. Simon
Old 27 Jun 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2718393)   #14
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve,

What an inspiration you are everyone, keep up the good work.

Joyce,

Cadwell Post's 5/12 and 19 have never been the same for me, those happy old days.

RIP Andy and Chris