Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2000, 22:03 (Ref:28807)   #1
Dean T
Rookie

Dean T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why are must circuits nowadays are so bland.
An example is hockenheim, this years race was
fabulous with overtaking! But i thought that this track was unique
but now the proposed new layout will turn it into just another A1-ring
(which is pathetic compared to the circuit of old).
Old 6 Aug 2000, 23:48 (Ref:28828)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The A1-Ring is in my opinion the only decent modern circuit. It has some fantastic corners and is exciting to drive. It also throws up a great race each year. It's individual.

Poor modern circuits are Sepang, Indy and Catalunya. All three are utterly dismal.

Thanks heavens we have tracks like Spa, Montreal and the A1-Ring...
Old 7 Aug 2000, 01:43 (Ref:28858)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "modern" circuits must be bland by law, to make them "safe" playpens for modern babies.

They have now screwed up Monza, and I expect that soon they will do something dismal to Eau Rouge and turn Spa into an Oval.
Old 7 Aug 2000, 03:17 (Ref:28869)   #4
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually MF. I've heard very good comments about the indy circuit (not the oval).

Anyway....I guess that we're meant to loose all those fascinating circuits.....not only because of safety issues but also because of TV broadcasting and to sell more tickets at the race.....a real shame....
Old 7 Aug 2000, 14:45 (Ref:28958)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the agenda of Dean T. I like circuits that have charachteristics that separates them from other circuits. Like for instance Spa and Hockenheim. I totally disagree about changing the circuits too much to accomodate "modern" demands on safety. I think the safety question should be addressed by three factors: Making the cars as safe as possible, having sufficient runoff areas, and having shock-absorbing barriers.

BUT DON'T **** WITH THE ****ING CIRCUITS!

Pardon the language.

I remember Liz said in another post that "it is motor racing, not toe dancing". I don't think you can say it better than that.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 05:55 (Ref:1354342)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I know this is going over old ground, as evidenced by the fact this topic is so old! However, it is ever more pressing.

I think the problem is ever true, although, at least, the new Turkish track actually seems like it might be reasonable....

Where do people stand at present?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1354348)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A circuit which feels good to drive is only important if you're driving on it.

I'd rather see layouts which provide good racing - therefore the "new" Hockenheim was a huge improvement on the old.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1354378)   #8
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the bike GP at Laguna Seca this weekend it would be fantastic to replace Indy (one of the dullest tracks ever made) with Laguna. As was said above though, it would never happen. Unless the crowd are 500 yards away staring across more sand than Bondi beach no-one is interested. F1 cars through the corkscrew, now that would be good....
Old 13 Jul 2005, 07:28 (Ref:1354380)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Laguna's too narrow for F1 cars to have any chance of overtaking - the ChampCar races there in recent years suffered from this too.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 07:37 (Ref:1354387)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the late '80s to early '90s F1 considered going to either Phoenix, Laguna Seca and Road Atlanta. They opted for the street race in Phoenix.
Laguna Seca is a fabulous circuit, a legendary circuit.

A track I miss the most is the original Hockenheim, just a fabulous circuit, nothing like it today.

Adelaide is another.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1354413)   #11
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi fan
The A1-Ring is in my opinion the only decent modern circuit. It has some fantastic corners and is exciting to drive. It also throws up a great race each year. It's individual.
I hate the A1 ring because of the track they ruined to build it. It saddens me to this day.

I actually like Bahrain, and the new one in Turkey looks promising too.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1354437)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another layout I miss deeply is the the pre 1991 Silverstone layout. When ever I see a Grand Prix in the late '80s to early '90s it reminds me of the great days when he had Mansell, Sena, Prost and Piquet also the great British Touring car era.
But the current Silverstone layout is one of those that has actually been improved, just hope Tilke doesn't get his hands on it.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1354542)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I despise modern tracks. They have no element of danger, are very samey and flat. Yes, they provide some good racing but that is not the only important thing.

One of the things that makes me watch Le Mans is just to see those cars tackling the La Sarthe circuit. The racing is almost non-existent, but it looks spectacular and keeps me hooked, even if the circuit has changed a bit over the years. It also has character.

The traditional circuits tend to have good racing anyways, until they are sanitised with chicanes and all.

I will never go to a GP at one of these fangled Tilke-rings as long as I live. Bernie loves them because they have good toilets, Max loves them because there is miles of flat tarmac run off, but they are devoid of character, atmosphere, quirks and challenge.

If given the choice between a dull race at Spa or a festival of overtaking at Bahrain, for me it's Spa every time. Just for the simple fact that the drivers are given an enormous challenge and it looks spectacular when a car flies through Eau Rouge or Pouhon or wherever. Tracks like Bahrain are almost too easy to overtake on and it loses its appeal after a few years.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1354550)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Mmmm, not sure I agree. Bahrain and Sepang have proved to be pretty good tracks. Why is Tilke so reviled?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1354568)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I'm with Knowlesy on this. I strongly dislike the modern F1 tracks aprt from Shanghi. To me F1 doens't seem the same espcially when you look at Bahrain which is just tarmac run off and that type of sticky dust, and besides what happens if you have a brake faluire?
The best circuits for me are the ones that were not really designed and intended for over taking because then they are usually flat and twisty with a straight a hair pin.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1354575)   #16
x_acto
Rookie

Portugal
Portugal
x_acto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realy hate tracks like Spang and Indianapolis, but i like the "new" Hockeinheim.

There are a few "not so new" tracks that should be removed from the list. Like Hungaroring (Bring back Estoril) and Magny-Cours (Return to Paul Ricard).
Old 13 Jul 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1354597)   #17
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm... I'm not too fond of the Newfangled Estoril, personally it doesn't make for much of a bike track at the moment, which suggests cars would be worse. However Catalunya is a great bike track which could indicate that it is the cars not the track that are the problem at the moment.

And my opinion is that Tilke isn't very much liked because you can look around the world and see examples of great circuits...and tilke has never built one...

What happened to the dude that designed Suzuka and Zandervoot?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1354624)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
John Hugenholtz?
Old 13 Jul 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1354696)   #19
hobophobic
Rookie

hobophobic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that pretty much all "modern" tracks suck, to me the premier class of racing in the world should race on a mix of tracks some fast, some medium and some slow speed so that powerfull cars would have an advantage in 1 area and nimble somewhere else.Unfortunatley these modern tracks have taken away 1 element that should be important in a driver and that is balls, i mean who needs em to go around a 140mph corner when there is 1/4mile tarmac run off?

The people in charge should also stop the nuetering of classic tracks to please the corperate hospitality fools who have no interest in the sport ( see Assen ).
Old 13 Jul 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1354772)   #20
superfox2000
Racer

Gibraltar
Cheltenham
superfox2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No wonder why "GP Legends" is so popular!
Old 13 Jul 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1354801)   #21
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
What happened to the dude that designed Suzuka and Zandervoot?
Hans Hugenholtz sr. died a couple of years ago. Never heard of Zandervoot but he did design Zandvoort
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1354861)   #22
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Ricard looks ruined, too. There's so much tarmac runoff areas (even painted full of red and blue stripes) it looks like a parking lot, or revised Fuji, also ruined.

Revised Paul Ricard

My eyes are hurting...

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1354863)   #23
hobophobic
Rookie

hobophobic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no way is that ricard it looks like a go-cart track, and those lines are sexy
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1354875)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Paul Ricard is a testing venue, not a racing circuit, these days. It makes a lot of sense for it to be like that.
Old 13 Jul 2005, 18:55 (Ref:1354881)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
A great shame that it looks like a parking lot, very nice country side in the area of South france as well. Also a very flat and twisty track....