Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1342849)   #51
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, it's to avoid having the teams go directly to the Riviera.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1342850)   #52
lusdekkar
Rookie

Australia
Australia
lusdekkar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_205
Will the season have ended before they make a decision on the penalty??
If so the FIA have been very clever in making sure teams don't boycott the next race in protest and that they continue the rest of the season
No, it'll be after the last European race. There'll be 3 more races after it... maybe.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1342851)   #53
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry k-b - but why not just join in with the existing thread?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1342852)   #54
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah that'll be Mickey-the-Shoe's 8th WDC sewn up then.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1342853)   #55
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being sensible, it's so the teams can make some sort of compensation effort, and ensure the situation doesn't happen again.

Probably the right decision.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1342854)   #56
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Sorry k-b - but why not just join in with the existing thread?

I hadn't realised the actual ruling was being discussed there - I thought it was just pre-decision speculation.

No point in the actual decision being buried after the predictions.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1342855)   #57
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
The FIA cannot punish Michelin - it is merely a supplier to the teams.
The tyre manufacturers are suppliers to the championship, it is then up to the teams to negotiate with the championship suppliers.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1342856)   #58
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
Well Ferrari are already signed up with the FIA championship in 2007.
The Michelin runners are not.
Concorde agreement doesn't run out until 2008 I thought. The "Michelin" teams are committed to racing F1 until the agreement expires - Michelin themselves are distinctly dodgy ground though.

I still like the idea of an FIA/unbranded standby fail-safe tyre - any problems in practice, you've got to use that one.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1342857)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope I'm too cynical. What will happen if Ferrari are way behind but the penalty is points because let's face it, if it was a fine they could levy it now.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1342858)   #60
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
I have lost all faith in the governing body over this almighty cock up. This situation has sent FIA sanctioned motorsport into crisis all over the world. No one will trust them to act in the interests of safety
Absolute ********.

er, sorry...

[mod]Thankyou for your carefully reasoned and eloquent response on the matter. However, I beg to differ...[/mod]

This farce is not of the FIA's making, and I'm pretty certain anything the FIA did would have brought stinging criticism from one camp or another. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. The FIA still takes the lead very successfully, both in motorsport worldwide and in promoting road safety - one cock-up with tyres by one tyre manufacturer at one F1 GP is hardly enough to bring the entire FIA crashing down. It might be enough to, ahem, limit Michelin's F1 opportunities in the future though...
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1342859)   #61
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Concorde agreement doesn't run out until 2008 I thought. The "Michelin" teams are committed to racing F1 until the agreement expires - Michelin themselves are distinctly dodgy ground though.

I still like the idea of an FIA/unbranded standby fail-safe tyre - any problems in practice, you've got to use that one.

ok 2008, I couldn't remember the year off the top of my head.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1342862)   #62
mark_l
Veteran

England
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33284
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1342864)   #63
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why would the FIA want Ferrari to win the championship(s)? It would be better for the sport if Ferrari didn't win again, so where's the advantage for the FIA in manipulating things to propel Ferrari to the front?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1342865)   #64
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now a few more hours of tension till the teams respond....
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1342866)   #65
Glen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
This situation has sent FIA sanctioned motorsport into crisis all over the world. No one will trust them to act in the interests of safety
So are you saying that the FIA were not acting in the interests of safety when they told the tyre companies very clearly only weeks before that they MUST make safe and durable tyres? Michelin showed a willful disregard for safety for not building in a larger margin for error into their second choice tyre - which is what they were TOLD to do. The teams are guilty because they failed to request the same from Michelin.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1342867)   #66
Kicking-back
Veteran

Thinking about it, the fans in the USA will get their compensation.

Then in September the teams will get no real punishment (maybe a reprimand) and it'll look like Max has made a concession to them.

Quite clever.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1342868)   #67
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Max has requested technical imformation from Michelin as regards its recent tyre wall failures.This will be given to the F.I.A.s technical people and a decision will be made as to whether the tyres are safe.Stewards at Magny cour will be told to exclude any tyres that are deemed to be unsafe.Under article 127 of the sporting code,any vehicle whos construction is thought to be dangerous will be excluded.

It aint over yet.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1342873)   #68
mark_l
Veteran

England
The decision on punishment has apparently been deferred so as to see what impact the Indy Ticket refund offer has on the image of F1 in the USA

Seems to me a bit like trying to revive a corpse after rigor mortis has set in
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1342877)   #69
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
And now a few more hours of tension till the teams respond....
A few glum faces and sabre rattling about the breakaway series can be expected then
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:58 (Ref:1342878)   #70
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I don't get it either? This Ferrari-FIA joined at the hip scenario. We would not want Ferrari to win again this year that is what made fans turn off. So if someone can explain the logic behind Ferrari must win at all costs concept.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1342879)   #71
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The FIA failed to act in the interests of safety with their dangerous tyre rule. Michelin have taken some of the blame but the FIA has to take some as well. I remember the tyre testing days held before each GP. Bring them back so that the tyres can be tested before the meeting
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1342881)   #72
mark_l
Veteran

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I don't get it either? This Ferrari-FIA joined at the hip scenario. We would not want Ferrari to win again this year that is what made fans turn off. So if someone can explain the logic behind Ferrari must win at all costs concept.
Ferrari have been in F1 the longest, and get a nice little paycheck from the FIA every year for this.

Ferrari have signed up to the FIA championship in 2008, no one else has.

Ferrari has the largest brand recognition in world motorsport.

The FIA don't care about the fans not wanting Ferrari to win every year, regardless of what the FIA survey results will say when they are published.

Anyone else care to add more fuel to the fire?
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1342888)   #73
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Max has requested technical imformation from Michelin as regards its recent tyre wall failures.This will be given to the F.I.A.s technical people and a decision will be made as to whether the tyres are safe.Stewards at Magny cour will be told to exclude any tyres that are deemed to be unsafe.
Oh, now that's rich.

In the letter everyone keeps citing that the FIA issued about teams ensuring they have a safe tire, Max explicitly says the FIA are not in a position to judge the safety of the tires!

Frankly, I'm getting sick of those who continue to harp on that letter, as it was clearly a case of FIA CYA.

No previous failures of tires had been attributed to construction, only to composition; Michelin had no reason to suspect the issue was in the construction itself, since they had not tested AT INDY.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1342889)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't think it is an FIA/Ferrari conspiracy. I believe that the FIA will be forced to make a big decision in September (remember the 1997 MSC debacle) and if the punishment includes points rather than money the outcome will inevitably be an enhancement of Ferrari's position in the championship.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1342893)   #75
mark_l
Veteran

England
The teams are not really in a position to judge what is a safe tyre, only Michelin and Bridgestone can do that.

I know the FIA employ technical people to check on software and do fuel analysis to ensure the fuel conforms to what has previously been deemed legal, but do they employ tyre technicians who can look into the composition and construction of the tyres used at a circuit.