Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jun 2009, 04:59 (Ref:2492990)   #1
davehenrie
Racer

United States
Post Falls Idaho(up in the Skinny part)
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Peugeot crib from Pescarolo?

I was looking at photo of the Pescarolo 01 the other day and it struck me how simple the front end looked. In fact it reminded me of the Le Mans aero treatment...it took me a few moments to reverse that and say to myself, The Pug's updated nose looks very similar to the Pesca. Who help whom?

dh
Old 29 Jun 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2493162)   #2
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure Pescarolo are not better at aerodynamics than Peugeot so I would venture Pesca got the car and ran it.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2493537)   #3
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that's called missing the point, he wasn't talking about the Pescarolo Peugeot, he was likening the 2009 LM-spec nose to the previous Pesca LMP1 designs.

I don't think there was any literal cross-pollination because Guillaume Cattellani, the aero design head, came from Dallara. Obviously you can come up with similar interpretations, but I think they had a few more resources available to refine things at Peugeot too!
Old 30 Jun 2009, 01:52 (Ref:2493642)   #4
davehenrie
Racer

United States
davehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddavehenrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, sorry, I re-read my post and it was pretty garbled. Late night I suspect. Let me try and rephrase it.

The 'new' aero treatment for the Pug seems rather simple. Especially when compared to all the voodoo in the Audi's front end. But it wasn't until I was looking at the photo of the petrol Pescarolo, that I saw a similarity. For the last two years the 01 Pesca has had a very simple slope between the wheels and the footbox.
In the previous years, that same area in the Pug was very complex. So here comes Le Mans, and word of a new aero treatment for the 908. It was so simple that I spent some time on the tv looking for the changes...looking at the extended nose, the fender widths...I finally saw the smooth black sloped area between the wheels and footbox and realized that was the new aero treatment.
Move ahead a week or two and the Petrol Pesca photo I was looking at. Only then did I make the connection. So, it almost seemed to me to be TOO convieneant that might Peugeot spent money in a wind tunnel to come up with Pescarolo's solution.

that's all.

dh
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2493685)   #5
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Audi tested a similar solution on the R10. See http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir10-1.html So I highly doubt there is any connection.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:02 (Ref:2493729)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Leaving aside the aerodynamic arguments, the simple front end with the gap between the floor and the wishbone filled in makes it look a lot more 'sportscar' and a lot less single seater on steroids.

Don't get me wrong - I'm as big a fan of innovation as the anyone else, and think the Acura and R15 are both really interesting, and while the old aerospace argument that runs "if it looks right it probably is right" has long since been disproved, it strikes me that a couple of styling cues like this would go a long way to making the LMPs look that little bit more appealing.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 08:08 (Ref:2493732)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's aerodynamics, everyone's cribbing from everyone aren't they?

PS is cribbing an American word?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 13:00 (Ref:2493901)   #8
davehenrie
Racer

United States
I think it comes from my School days. When you want to sneak some notes into a test, you would use a Crib sheet.
I have no idea if I used the term properly, but I didn't want to say steal....lol! There are no American words, we cribbed them all from everybody else.

dh
Old 30 Jun 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2493907)   #9
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehenrie View Post
There are no American words, we cribbed them all from everybody else.
And then spelled them wrong.

I agree with isynge, lets get rid of things like those "legality louvres" and get them looking more like a sports car.