Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2972699)   #1301
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a quick skim through the press release, and they mention this:

Quote:
”At Peugeot Sport, we have a dyno that allows us to test the complete engine, gearbox and transmission assembly. This is particularly practical since it functions just as it does when fitted to the car. The hybrid system forms an integral part of the powertrain. This test work continued through 2011 up to the car’s first shakedown run in September and its first real track test a few days ago.”
It sounds to me like the hybrid system is integral to the drivetrain, ie, functions on the rear axle, as in F1. Maybe reading too much into that though.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2972701)   #1302
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Peugeot already confirmed that the KERS of the 908 HYbrid 4 is connected to the rear wheels: http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/endu...-hybrid4-.html
Quote:
Hybrid system
Power: 60kW (80hp)*
* during energy delivery phases only
Delivery of recovered energy:
- To the rear wheels;
- 500kJ between two braking phases;
- Energy stored in lithium-ion batteries;
- Automatic delivery of energy under acceleration (no "push to pass" function).
It will be possible to use the electric mode only along the pit lane.
It uses the same setup as the 2008 908 HY: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3...ot-908-HY.html
Old 17 Oct 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2972904)   #1303
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
60kW (80hp), 500kJ
Since W=P*t, the 60 kW of power could be delivered for about 8.33 seconds. And that's between every two braking areas, although it's doubtful that the system will be able to accumulate full 500 kJ of energy in such a short time.

Last edited by kober; 17 Oct 2011 at 21:14.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2972948)   #1304
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
For what it is worth. In 2008 Peugeot 908 HY press article stated the following:
Quote:
In the course of a lap of Le Mans, for example, the system will recuperate energy for between 20 and 30 seconds. This energy can be used:
  1. either to deliver extra power thanks to an additional boost of 60kW (80hp) for approximately 20 seconds per lap, either automatically when re-accelerating, or when the driver chooses to make use of it ('push to pass').
  2. or to reduce fuel consumption for the equivalent level of performance thanks to the mechanical energy recovered (between three and five per cent).
In 2012 hybrid diesels get a tank of 58 liter and non-hybrid diesels of 60 liter. That means a difference in fuel tank size of 3.3% which the hybrid system has to compensate for (option 2). Obviously they can trade in fuel economy for more power (option 1).

A hybrid system has some disadvantages: the system (batteries, inverter, electric motor) has to be cooled, which means more drag, and the additional weight might influence the balance of the car.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:38 (Ref:2972984)   #1305
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
deliver extra power thanks to an additional boost of 60kW (80hp) for approximately 20 seconds per lap, either automatically when re-accelerating, or when the driver chooses to make use of it ('push to pass').
If I'm not mistaken, the latter (i.e. push to pass) is not an option anymore.
Old 17 Oct 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2972990)   #1306
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Correct, rule 1.13 says
Quote:
"The combustion engine and the electric motor must be controlled by the driver using the accelerator pedal (push to pass buttons forbidden)."
Of course, the effect of a push to pass button can probably be emulated with the throttle pedal. The pedal could for instance give two levels of feedback, namely "full throttle" and "full throttle + KERS".
Old 17 Oct 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2973007)   #1307
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Does anyone think they will stick with this livery next year? I really hope so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Since Blue is the french racing color, i do not think we will see an all white and black livery, even tough it would be nice and would tie the 905 closer with the 908.
Plus, Toyota will likely have something white if the illustration is any indication...
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2974056)   #1308
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Video interview with Famin and Minassian about the hybrid 908: http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/endu...in-908-hybrid4

The weight distribution is worse, but they hope that this can be compensated by the extra acceleration.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2974079)   #1309
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well , one thing is for sure . After being the first drivers to test this technology , Minassian and Wurz are staying put .
Old 20 Oct 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2974227)   #1310
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Video interview with Famin and Minassian about the hybrid 908: http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/endu...in-908-hybrid4

The weight distribution is worse, but they hope that this can be compensated by the extra acceleration.
That is something that Peugeot could manage to change through development.
But if not, the Peugeot is becoming more and more a dragster than a car good around the corners.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2974476)   #1311
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the black and white livery much better, makes the shape of the 908 look alot more sleek. I also doubt this will be the final livery - but they should think about it to highlight the difference between the 908 and the 908HY.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2974528)   #1312
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
I like the black and white livery much better, makes the shape of the 908 look alot more sleek. I also doubt this will be the final livery - but they should think about it to highlight the difference between the 908 and the 908HY.
It's Peugeot...
They choose to field their brand new car with a livery very similar to the previous year, a design similar to the previous year and exactly the same name.
It's more likely that the HYbrid4 will have the same livery than not.
(But they are french so - pretty unpredictable )
Old 22 Oct 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2975115)   #1313
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrKY...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsCc...eature=related

Hybrid tested....

Last edited by Plex; 22 Oct 2011 at 11:41.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2975156)   #1314
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Nice vids. I guess made by Peugeot.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2975158)   #1315
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see plenty of testing photos and videos being released.

Take a look at the number of engineers involved in the first video. Puts into perspective I think the vast gap between peugeot/audi and the best of the rest. It really does seem F1-level stuff.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 15:29 (Ref:2975163)   #1316
deggis
Veteran

Finland
The second video cuts off in the middle of the onboard... I guess that is still the full video.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2975244)   #1317
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/10/21/...ran-de-ferran/

Buried in this article about De Ferran @ the V8Supercars Gold Coast 600 is a mention that he is replacing Lucas di Grassi at the last minute because di Grassi is testing for Peugeot.

Am I just behind the times or is this news to all?
Old 22 Oct 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2975247)   #1318
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/10/21/...ran-de-ferran/

Buried in this article about De Ferran @ the V8Supercars Gold Coast 600 is a mention that he is replacing Lucas di Grassi at the last minute because di Grassi is testing for Peugeot.

Am I just behind the times or is this news to all?
That's certainly news to me. Interesting stuff.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2975409)   #1319
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To take the Di Grassi thing a bit further Alex Wurz tweeted this a bit ago:

Quote:
But mayb I'm tired because @LucasdiGrassi wanted to kill me on bike yesterday. He drove like its a shoot out for a @peugeotsport race seat!
So sounds quite possible they are evaluating drivers. Kimi has had a run, I wonder who else is in the frame?
Old 23 Oct 2011, 12:04 (Ref:2975513)   #1320
vlad1977
Rookie

Romania
Oradea, Romania
vlad1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the first video at 2:03, there are some people in white T-shirts with the HONDA logo on the T-shirt arm and the Estoril logo on the front. Are they Estoril track officials?Is HONDA a track sponsor?
If they are track officials, probably they were there to here what to do in case the car stops on the track. Safety is an issue with KERS.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2975561)   #1321
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup, they're track officials and marshalls from the Motor Clube of Estoril.

You don't see anyone parked around the track in the videos but I guess they were on call in the paddock in case of need. Lucky guys.
One of the few non-Peugeot personnel to get a close look at the car.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2975580)   #1322
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
I wonder if there will be extra training sessions for Marshall's at next year Le Mans?.
The hybrids (and electric car, if chosen) will be a completely new challenge for them, and new equipment might also be needed.
For an example is the danish fire brigade not allowed to go anywhere near a crashed Hybrid/electric until it's proper grounded, for their safety. (a good tip is not to crash in a hybrid/electric )
Old 23 Oct 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2975586)   #1323
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Rubber gloves will no doubt be distributed to the each post.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2975590)   #1324
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Rubber gloves will no doubt be distributed to the each post.
They'll have to be thick as hell. Remember Rubber only creates non conducting space, so electricity can still jump through the cloves like it was air
Old 23 Oct 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2975599)   #1325
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Is KERS delivering power to the rear or front wheel on this car?