Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:39 (Ref:402438)   #1
nickF1
Rookie

nickF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those who blame JMP on his blow ups...

Whas it Ralf's fault that his engine blew up today? I don't think so. With all the telemetry available you just cannot blame a driver for an engine blow up. don't you think?

cheers
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:49 (Ref:402449)   #2
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JPM was going too slow today to blow up his engine!! Ralf wasted him.

Last edited by DavidStHubbins; 13 Oct 2002 at 07:49.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:51 (Ref:402454)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm, I must say, I would'nt draw attention to JPM's performance today. Pretty average for what some say is 'the best driver' in F1.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 07:58 (Ref:402464)   #4
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fair to say that JPM's day wasnt the best of days i agree.

but....on the engine topic , looking forward to reading Jukebox's comments on whether RAlf's engine was Ralfs fault or not .

Personally , i dont think it had anything to do with Ralf , but then i had the same opinion about Jpm/s faliures also .
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:00 (Ref:402467)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Personally , i dont think it had anything to do with Ralf , but then i had the same opinion about Jpm/s faliures also .
Agreed. The idea that with all this technology teams can't see when an engine is being pushed too hard, is ridiculious.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:01 (Ref:402468)   #6
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive never blamed JPM for engine blowups, I have however had a go at his lack of consistency. Montoya will be great one race, and poor in the next three. He needs to improve a lot if he's hoping to be a WDC.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:08 (Ref:402475)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think when they talk about engine blow ups they are referring to the fact that Ralf doesnt use much engine braking whereas Jenson Button (when at williams) and JPm do use the engine more to slow them down. That was how the WIlliams crew described it when Jenson was at the team.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 08:14 (Ref:402487)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come on people, the BMW's have been blowing up consistently all year, despite who's driving the bloody car.

They've said Williams have got to pick up their game. How about following some of your own advice BMW?

Oh, and Ralf was having the better weekend before that. JPM just, well, wasn't on it...
Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:04 (Ref:402552)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I was told that Ralf didn't use all his rounds during todays Warm Up. (But I just saw at Tag Heurer's site that Montoya did only 8 laps, whereas Ralf did 11).
Considering the fact that Ralf went from 5 to 4 during the race, with Montoya just holding on to his position, I would say that Ralf was probably pushing his car more than JPM today.

On the other hand, looking at the pre-Japan standings (JPM 47, Ralf 42, Coulthard 41) I would expect Coulthard to push hardest, and Montoya to take less risks.

With Coulthard in third position, Ralf had to overtake him to keep ahead in the WDC (4th place would leave him at 1-1-4-3-2-0 against Davids 1-1-5-1-2-2). David would need to keep his 3rd place to gain 4th place in the WDC, or go for 2nd or 1st if he wanted to gain 3rd place.

After David's gearbox had gone, Ralf was in third place with Montoya in 5th. At this point, Ralf already had secured his 4th place in the WDC (and Williams' 2nd place in the WCC was also fixed). So he could only hope for Michael and/or Rubens to retire: With a 2nd place, he could take 3rd if JPM wouldn't finish within the top 5, and with a win he could take 3rd if JPM would not finish in 2nd place.
Given his position in the race and the championship, Montoya had no reason at all to push. All he had to do, was to stay in the race, and keep ahead of Trulli, Sato and Button.

To be short, IMO in this race the proper strategy would be:
- For Coulthard, to push at maximum, even taking the risk of not finishing.
- For Ralf, to try to push moderately as long as David was still in the race; and after David's retirement, to push at maximum even taking the risk of not finishing.
- For Montoya, to finish the race, staying well ahead of everyone from the other teams, and trying to keep reasonably close to Ralf and/or Raikkonen.
Which is exactly what they did.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:33 (Ref:402581)   #10
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it wasn't JPM's best race but he did exactly what many of you suggested to should have done at Monza, he sat back and consolidated his position as he knew it was enough for P3 in the WDC.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 09:56 (Ref:402596)   #11
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This IS JPM being consistent.

Come on, what do we prefer - all-out charges that end in tears nine times out of ten, or a good solid drive to fourth?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 11:51 (Ref:402700)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I prefer all out charges that end in tears actually - love it!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 11:53 (Ref:402704)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so do i !......cant beat it....

but then some people cant knock him for a sloid drive when they knock him for the oppersite most of the time either.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:40 (Ref:402771)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too, like Gilles said, "I'd rather lead the most laps and crash than crawl home to a safe 5th place."

If you want to see people crawl home safely, suggest to Bernie that they get paid by the number of laps they complete.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:45 (Ref:402778)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And even though he was charging most of the year he still managed 3rd so it obviously doesn't end in tears that often.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 13:28 (Ref:402821)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
No, it wasn't JPM's best race but he did exactly what many of you suggested to should have done at Monza, he sat back and consolidated his position as he knew it was enough for P3 in the WDC.
He admitted after the race that this was his aim.....i would usually love to see JPM going for it, but under the circumstances i can understand why. The team also told him to back off after Rafes engine blew.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 14:53 (Ref:402881)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lemme guess..... saving the engine and displaying a dull race is good when "given the circumstances"...? I thought that the entire game has 17 rounds and actually the circumstances do not change during the season. Now guys, you really confuse me. I could understand that trying hard to beat Ferrari, and breaking the car in the process is good thing, but being beaten by an almost teenager in a McLaren (while saving the engine) is better?

Don't get me wrong, for once Pablo did have a race strategy and I salute this... I just want to understand the rules here...

Last edited by Red; 13 Oct 2002 at 14:54.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:25 (Ref:402905)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I said before. He's boring when he uses his head and he was today. Still again a solid drive got him the points at the expense of his equally talented teammate.

And Liz. We've discussed GV's quote before and it falls down when you look at Jarama '79 (I think). I recall he held the entire field back for the whole race and didn't once push the car over the limit. And he was slooooooooooooow.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:27 (Ref:402909)   #19
MA2
Rookie

MA2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, most of you don't understand racing!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:39 (Ref:402919)   #20
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Lemme guess..... saving the engine and displaying a dull race is good when "given the circumstances"...? I thought that the entire game has 17 rounds and actually the circumstances do not change during the season. Now guys, you really confuse me. I could understand that trying hard to beat Ferrari, and breaking the car in the process is good thing, but being beaten by an almost teenager in a McLaren (while saving the engine) is better?

Don't get me wrong, for once Pablo did have a race strategy and I salute this... I just want to understand the rules here...
In the end, both Ralf and JPM did beat both McLarens. And both Ralf and JPM were beaten by both Ferraris.
I would say a 3rd place in the WDC is better than a fourth place, so according to my standards JPM's strategy worked better this year.
On the other hand, many people (probably including a lot of the JPM supporters at this forum) would value a race victory higher. So according to their standards, Ralf's strategy worked better this year.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:40 (Ref:402921)   #21
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I said before. He's boring when he uses his head and he was today. Still again a solid drive got him the points at the expense of his equally talented teammate.

And Liz. We've discussed GV's quote before and it falls down when you look at Jarama '79 (I think). I recall he held the entire field back for the whole race and didn't once push the car over the limit. And he was slooooooooooooow.
It was in 1981... and Gilles was in the lead. You have to be smart when you're in the lead, but I think you can't be blamed for pushing hard while trying to get it...

In Juan Pablo's situation, well, if he couldn't go any further up in the order, why push? But if he can go further up, why shouldn't he push?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:44 (Ref:402924)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MA2
Actually, most of you don't understand racing!
Ok then, enlighten us with your endless racin' "wisdom"!

Wisdom that includes racing 100 year old tractors around the hillside doesn't count!

Chasing pigs doesn't count either!

Hillbilly wisdom doesn't count... anywhere!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 13 Oct 2002 at 15:48.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 15:46 (Ref:402925)   #23
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they said JPM pushed the boost button to often in 1 race in the past, it can only be used a few times.

Last edited by steve nielsen; 13 Oct 2002 at 15:49.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:402972)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Lemme guess..... saving the engine and displaying a dull race is good when "given the circumstances"...?
Works for Ferrari doesn't it?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:20 (Ref:402983)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
look..it simple.....most of us like to see JPM race with his heart rather than always with his head like certain other drivers who make you want to sleep whilst watching a GP.....

but , if certain members of the forum knock the Columbian for never doing the sensible thing when his car isnt a match for those in front , they cant turn it around now that he has done the sensible thing .

Last edited by Sato san; 13 Oct 2002 at 17:22.