Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Dec 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3944799)   #1
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Towing restrictions at age 70

It has probably been discussed before, but I ignored it, as I thought I may not want to be towing at 70

But as the evil day approaches I have to decide which categories I can / must renew if I still want to tow legally.

Anyone got definitive rules on the towing aspect of a driving licence please? And if I will need an annual medical.

Colin
Old 4 Dec 2019, 18:58 (Ref:3944821)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
It has probably been discussed before, but I ignored it, as I thought I may not want to be towing at 70

But as the evil day approaches I have to decide which categories I can / must renew if I still want to tow legally.

Anyone got definitive rules on the towing aspect of a driving licence please? And if I will need an annual medical.

Colin
Seems to depend on the size of towing vehicle, and when you passed your test. Found this on Caravan Club website....

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice...ving-licences/
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3944825)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Colin

For normal on-road driving you have nothing to worry about as to age, I'm 82 and just need to fill in a medical declaration on renewing my licence. The usual stuff about eyesight etc. No medical or re testing so far. No idea about towing however.

Seventy? You are just a kid.
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3944826)   #4
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=bauble;3944825

Seventy? You are just a kid.[/QUOTE]

Dunno what that makes me then .
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3944827)   #5
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colin, it will depend on what licence categories you will hold once you reach 70, and also what vehicle you would be using to do the towing. Towing with a car also has weight restrictions as there is for any age of driver.

This is the step by step guide to requirements on the UK. Gov website: https://www.gov.uk/towing-rules/y

I don't believe that there are any medical requirements if towing with a car, but there would be if driving an LGV, etc.
Old 4 Dec 2019, 19:27 (Ref:3944834)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the tow vehicle is over 3500kg, then the Caravan Club info suggests a medical and eye test will be required.

One thing is clear- the regulations aren’t!
Old 4 Dec 2019, 20:59 (Ref:3944861)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If the Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the tow vehicle is over 3500kg, then the Caravan Club info suggests a medical and eye test will be required.

As you say, Mike, it does seem confusing and I quote below from the NFU website, which seems to confirm what you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFU
This means declaring any conditions which could affect your ability to drive such as visual impairments, epilepsy or strokes. To drive other types of vehicles you will need to pass a medical test and
an eyesight test. Drivers holding a category B+E licence before their licence expired at age 70 can continue to drive a vehicle weighing up to 3.5 tonnes with a trailer up to a maximum combination weight limit of 8.25 tonnes, once renewed.

As my licence was granted in 1963, I currently hold at age 73 a B+E licence. I do not think that the fact that I also held an HGV Class 1 has any bearing; I think that it's a "grandfathering right" that we wrinklies acquire.
Old 4 Dec 2019, 22:09 (Ref:3944870)   #8
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago I read something about the fact that when you renew your licence you have ask ask to have all your rights retained. Apparently unless you tick the right box then you lose the towing bit of your licence, and it is very difficult to recover them. I dont know for certain that this is true, but it would be worth checking
Old 4 Dec 2019, 22:25 (Ref:3944873)   #9
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
When my licence came back after I was 70 I had lost the 7.5 ton part, I have just sent away for renewal after 3 years and just did it on line, hopefully they don't take any more away
A mate of mine had his returned less his motor cycle part, when he queried it with DLVC he was asked to supply his "pink slip" !! he said yes I'm bound to have kept that from 1964 !!!!! He had to take his test again as they had no record and he had sent his old licence back as you have to.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Dec 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3944929)   #10
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
When my licence came back after I was 70 I had lost the 7.5 ton part, I have just sent away for renewal after 3 years and just did it on line, hopefully they don't take any more away
A mate of mine had his returned less his motor cycle part, when he queried it with DLVC he was asked to supply his "pink slip" !! he said yes I'm bound to have kept that from 1964 !!!!! He had to take his test again as they had no record and he had sent his old licence back as you have to.

The loss of Motorbike rights seems a common one - as is over 3.5 tonne. Milady lost her motorbike rights (held since she was a student nurse, aged 17), but being cautious had photocopied her licence before sending it back - so they reinstated them. At 84 (next week) she probably isn't going to exercise her biking rights, although she does occasionally threaten to get one so that I could ride pillion - EEK!

There was a report a few years ago of a Police motorcyclist who on routine renewal of his licence on moving house had the motorbike rights removed....and despite the intervention of his Chief Constable he had to resit a bike test to continue his normal work. DVLA fit for purpose?
Old 5 Dec 2019, 11:46 (Ref:3944940)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Curious as to why I hadn’t received a ‘request’ to have a medical when the grand old age of 70 was reached recently, but as I’ve been having one annually since 65 to maintain my HGV1 entitlement, maybe that covers other entitlements as well.....

Looking at the licence itself, it will need renewing next October to maintain the above HGV entitlement, and in October 2022 to maintain everything else. Presume if I have given up HGV driving, I will still need a medical for towing?

Yours
Confused of Norfolk
Old 5 Dec 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3944949)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The loss of Motorbike rights seems a common one - as is over 3.5 tonne. Milady lost her motorbike rights (held since she was a student nurse, aged 17), but being cautious had photocopied her licence before sending it back.
Possible loss of motorcycle entitlement had me checking my licence again! Category A still there, fortunately..... I never send my old licence back- sounds like a wise precaution!

Reading comments on line, seems you’re more likely to lose an entitlement if you renew on line, rather than by form filling.
Old 5 Dec 2019, 19:25 (Ref:3945042)   #13
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's brought this on for me is approaching 70. I have been towing for ever with grandfather rights, at over 3.5 tons and under. My current tow car trailer and MGB weigh just about 3 tons. But if I was to change the car for say a Range Rover, it would be (well) over the 3.5 tons and I would not have a valid licence C1E. So I would also not be insured.

As I see it I have to have an annual medical, fill in Form D4, if I want to tow at over 3.5 tons and that would give me the C1E part of the licence. I would retain the BE category without a medical.

So am I correct in my assumptions? It is all a bit confusing for this old boy!! Maybe I shouldnt be driving at all

Colin
Old 5 Dec 2019, 20:30 (Ref:3945051)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Colin, I think that you would be alright with a Range Rover as, as far as I can see, they come in at under 3,500 Kgs. That is providing that you maintain your B+E licence which allows you a combined maximum weight of car, trailer and it's load of 8,250 kgs.
Old 5 Dec 2019, 20:58 (Ref:3945057)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Bit more on licence weight limits here- http://www.yourdrivinglicence.co.uk/...e-weights.html

I think Mike is correct in his interpretation, but we don’t work for the DVLA.....
Old 6 Dec 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3945175)   #16
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I would retain the BE category without a medical.Colin
Same here plus old boys and girls can drive a RV.
Old 6 Dec 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3945221)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Did MUK write them?
Old 6 Dec 2019, 14:59 (Ref:3945222)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Did MUK write them?
Yes, they could have done!
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3945237)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Did MUK write them?
Probably not Andy, its just that they seem to be based on french ones!
Old 6 Dec 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3945244)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think the only difference between UK and EU rules is that Johnny Foreigner didn't get grandfather rights after 1997 so everyone had to take tests for C1 and C1E licences
Old 6 Dec 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3945256)   #21
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I think part of what this shows is how ludicrous and illogical the rules are. For many light commercials (like a Sprinter, say) they can be rated at under or over 3.5 tonne, depending on wheelbase, single or twin wheel etc.....yet for all intents and purposes there is no difference between the differing vehicles for driving purposes......and of course if for MOT purposes when a van that would be a class 7 is converted to be a motorhome, it becomes Class 4.......

Bureaucracy for the sake of it!
Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:34 (Ref:3945354)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
To float your boat Richard, now they are chasing the vans converted to motorhomes when you bring one for MOT…
Old 7 Dec 2019, 13:08 (Ref:3945362)   #23
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
To float your boat Richard, now they are chasing the vans converted to motorhomes when you bring one for MOT…

Haven't heard of that - I'll have to ask my mate with his Sprinter motorhome that started life as a Police riot-van
Old 7 Dec 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3945387)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Haven't heard of that - I'll have to ask my mate with his Sprinter motorhome that started life as a Police riot-van
This has always made me smile as most motorhomes are class 4 Mot and weigh loads more than the van that they are derived from that can be class 7, (law wise) they run very close on train weight for towing and some are illegal when used for towing a trailer and race car.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Dec 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3945394)   #25
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some "motorhomes" are being re-classified as "goods vehicle with living accommodation."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk