Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Dec 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2592132)   #26
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last lap in the 6 lap handicap - a courteous Marcos Volvo 3 litre moves over to let the fast boys through, and loses 6 places in one corner! Second last corner on the new track.
Attached Thumbnails
209_2911_115b.JPG  
Old 1 Dec 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2592154)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
you obviously are a little techy today John?...I have the greatest of admiration for the Lyons having Marshalled at Phillip Island on a number of occaisions (love the look of Judy's car)...how-bloody-ever, my comment was about the big (in numbers) committment that the Kiwis have managed rather than individual team efforts...:
Not tetchy at all, and certainly not knocking the great Kiwi contribution to this, but I think 'almost single-handedly' is one of those phrases which more or less knocks everyone else out of the frame. From a UK perspective, the Lyons have done rather more than just turn up as an individual team with a few cars, but I accept that you may have been unaware of their greater input into the F5000 scene.

And yes, I have been to a couple of meets in which a fantastic Kiwi turnout of F5000s was evident; truly superb.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 05:10 (Ref:2592650)   #28
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Remember that the current circuit is already booked solid for the next year - not just weekends either. If you arrive at a new circuit and there is no pits infrastructure, it is no fun for the meeting officials, timekeepers, race control, dummy grid controllers, stewards etc.

Drivers seem to cope regardless but most have had enough of second rate facilities and parking in a bog. It took Pukekohe over 40 years to put some hardcore down in the paddock...

The plans for HD are exciting but even now, business is being turned away as the facilities aren't yet in place! Frustrating for the CEO. We expect every visit to the track to be better and they are certainly putting a lot of effort into the paddock, as somehow, they have to find spaces for 380 cars for the McLaren Festival. I just hope that the visitors appreciate that to get a race track up and running in today's economic and political environment, having fought the NZ roading authorities and even the Corrections' Department (there is a prison across the road, both Government Departments) is nothing short of a miracle. By the time the festival kicks off, the circuit will only have been live for exactly 60 days.

Remember also that a track extension also means more marshals are required and the Manfeild Circuit a bit further south, rarely uses the full circuit.

Running two circuits on the same day requires even more helpers and the small planned club circuit whilst ideal for small car club events, will cost a fair bit to get up and running and from where I stand, I'd rather have a paddock office with modern facilities, than the old construction crew's site office! OK, even that is better than some circuit accommodation I have seen over the years.

We do need to ensure a good ongoing supply of flag marshals and race officials coming through, to capitalise on the massive growth in Classic/Historic motorsport in this area.
Well sounds like they need to focus then on getting some proper buildings and pits and paddock then turn to a circuit extension down the line.

If you have a decent circuit extension that you can divide up into two decent tracks for daily use I think it helps with renting out track time.

Today I was working at a semi private track in the USA and had a great conversation with the track manager about these issues and balancing infrastructure development with the track development. They have some decent length already but are looking for more to run 3 tracks on a daily basis off of the one main track.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2592708)   #29
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshals

Quote:
We do need to ensure a good ongoing supply of flag marshals and race officials coming through, to capitalise on the massive growth in Classic/Historic motorsport in this area.
Hey! I'm coming over with a very experienced buddy to help out at Hampton and Pukekohe
Old 3 Dec 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2593298)   #30
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw this today and thought of this thread :
http://beeoneoneoh.wordpress.com/200...v09/#more-1916

Looks like a really nice circuit.
Old 6 Dec 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2594771)   #31
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
re #29. Just make sure you say hi - or wave. Oh, but all the marshals wave...
Old 5 Jan 2010, 06:35 (Ref:2608273)   #32
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Wheee! Saw Lola T70 and David Fitzsimmons Ferrari arrive on flatbed trucks today, delivered to their temporary home.

Thanks goodness the ship hasn't been delayed this time.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2608295)   #33
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really looking forward to this. I'm coming over from Australia to do an episode of In Pit Lane for screening February or March in the lead up to PI.
Any locals got any tips on cheap (very, very cheap) accommodation in the area?
Also is there any way to get to the track via Public transport?
I'm really doing this on the cheap so I don't want to have to hire a rental if I can help it.

Last edited by inpitlane; 5 Jan 2010 at 08:39. Reason: yet another typo, curse you Johnnie Walker!!!
Old 8 Jan 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2610160)   #34
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
There is probably camping on site but as the area is rural, there is little in the way of local accomodation.

Transport is a tricky one. The circuit is right alongside the State Highway 1 (main North/South road) and at that point is an expressway, not a motorway. Coaches go from Auckland City heading south, but not directly from the airport and could possibly drop you off on the off ramp (if you asked them nicely) but but there will be plenty of race traffic around.

As there is a prison across the road from the track entrance, carrying a plackard and hitch hiking with "Hampton Downs - Race Track" might be more fruitful than just Hampton Downs!

Might be cheapest to rent a cheap car and sleep in it. However, the official camp ground has not yet been developed so there are no facilities and on course food is never going to be cheap either.
Old 8 Jan 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2610193)   #35
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to setting off with my wife shortly to get down for the Festivals, hopefully apart from the wonderful Kiwi welcome there will be a few Brits too.
Cant wait, as currently snowed in
Old 8 Jan 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2610229)   #36
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there...cannot wait
Old 11 Jan 2010, 06:24 (Ref:2611428)   #37
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Got the drivers briefing stuff today. Nine pages... All getting very excited here too, though for those of us not on holiday, a fair time commitment and not sure that my wife is too impressed!

Shame that our governing body has upset the Australians by not allowing in three cars as they have period alloy cages that have a dispensation in Australia. For goodness sake, how petty and insensitive can you get.

Classic motorsport is not F1 and we have been told in no uncertain terms that this festival is about the cars not the drivers (totally agree) and we are deeply embarassed that these iconic cars have been excluded.

This is one sport where the traditional rivalries do not exist and is a poke in the eye to the meeting organisers who have put a tremendous amount of effort into this meeting. We really wanted those overseas cars here.

Festival chairman Jim has probably sent out well over 3,000 individual emails, let alone the bulk ones...

Grids are fantastic - check out http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/

PLEASE come and say hi - Sports Racing class, car 170. I might even give you a Chicane T shirt if you ask me nicely and I have any left - and you admit to your ten-tenths user name!

Sharing the track with Hampton Downs owner Tony Roberts and his 680hp Chev Corvette, Jack Ondrack's TVR, the very rapid Lotus Elan of Chris Chiles, plus an assortment of Mallocks, Chris Fraser's Morgan +8 and some other quick stuff. Means we'll probably get lapped, but hey, it is not about winning! I'm expecting to finish about 30th but will just be happy to be part of and survive the festival!

Look out and start planning now for the 2011 series and escape that horrible winter weather - Chris Amon meeting. (Just heard today that he'll be driving David's Ferrari 275GTB/C for a couple of laps at this meeting.) By then, hopefully the full 3.8km track will be open and the grids will be even larger!

Last edited by socram; 11 Jan 2010 at 06:35. Reason: typos...
Old 11 Jan 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2611449)   #38
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
PLEASE come and say hi - Sports Racing class, car 170. I might even give you a Chicane T shirt if you ask me nicely and I have any left - and you admit to your ten-tenths user name!
I'll be at Hampton Sat & Sunday (possibly even late Friday if I can cut the business trip early)

Will come say hi socram. Anyone else want to catch up send me PM.

PS - Hope you old fellas have some Classic Grid Girls to add to the files
Old 11 Jan 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2611827)   #39
national8
Rookie

national8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2611864)   #40
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the invite,will stop by and say hello and good luck!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2612975)   #41
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane View Post
Really looking forward to this. I'm coming over from Australia to do an episode of In Pit Lane for screening February or March in the lead up to PI.
Any locals got any tips on cheap (very, very cheap) accommodation in the area?
Also is there any way to get to the track via Public transport?
I'm really doing this on the cheap so I don't want to have to hire a rental if I can help it.
I'll be there two!! We decided to stay at Pukekohe coz it is more geared up for visitors and less expensive than the Amon Units at Hampton. We will be driving from Puke to Hampton each day then (surprise, suprise!!) Puke to Puke the following weekend. Small car but we might be able to fit you in if you ain't a Fat-Barsteward clone
Old 14 Jan 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2613070)   #42
JethroL
Rookie

JethroL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am also coming over from Australia for both meetings, a bit of a holiday and hopefully to do some photography. I am staying in Auckland - if any one is looking to share transport I might be able to help.

The entry list for the F5000s looks awesome.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2614814)   #43
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Hi, I would like to come & say g'day to you guys who are competing, can you tell me which cars in which class so I know who to look for. I went and had a look at the track at yesterdays meeting, very impressive facility. Look forward to going again this weekend.....Keith
Old 19 Jan 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2615526)   #44
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/

Click on the competitors tab for all entry lists by class.

I am car 170 in the Invited Sports/Sports racing class. Silver GT - probably about 30th or later out of a grid of 38!!! Faster cars will lap in about 1:14 slowest about 1:35, so many of us wil be lapped... Will be a change for me, racing a GT against Mallocks... I seem to lap at 1:28 (trying), but will probably ease off a bit for this meeting, as it really isn't competitive, but is all about the cars. I can't compete against a Chev Corvette with 680bhp...
Old 19 Jan 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2615867)   #45
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Thanks socram...I will come & say g'day....good luck
Old 21 Jan 2010, 22:27 (Ref:2617200)   #46
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
The cars looked great on TV this morning, should be a great weekend.
Old 22 Jan 2010, 18:42 (Ref:2617685)   #47
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain Rain Rain is on the forcast for today.

I dont care though, wet out late yesterday, awesome cars and a **** load of them. Will be fun
Old 22 Jan 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2617793)   #48
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/
I am car 170 in the Invited Sports/Sports racing class. Silver GT
Just for you bud. Nice to meet you and thanks for the shirt

Old 22 Jan 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2617794)   #49
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
raining?? must be england!!
I bet the POMS stuff it to the kiwi and ozzies
Old 22 Jan 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2617797)   #50
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
a handfull of pics from Sat