Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3317849)   #2701
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Almost got a heart attaque reading that abbreviation....

Last edited by vincegail; 14 Oct 2013 at 18:57.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:40 (Ref:3317850)   #2702
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Didn't they abbreviate the direct injection system on the RS Spyder in late 2008 as DFI? Then TDFI would be a logical turbocharged variant of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
That's the most logical explanation indeed.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 18:58 (Ref:3317858)   #2703
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Engine dyno sound after 2:20.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:34 (Ref:3317866)   #2704
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
In http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...tanlage_en.mp4 and http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...tzinger_en.mp4 Porsche reveals quite a bit about the drive train: rear axle driven by combustion engine and front axle by electric motor(s), high voltage battery for energy storage and a heat energy recovery system.

Judging from this picture the cilinders are arranged in a V layout. So that suggest a V4 turbo.

It is difficult to see the turbo configuration: single or double turbo and exhaust inside V or not?

Last edited by gwyllion; 14 Oct 2013 at 19:53.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:49 (Ref:3317871)   #2705
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
And on top of this, www.24h-lemans.com speculates about the arrival of Red Bull in Endurance Racing as Porsche sponsor.

Now, the article lacks some serious background information. Who can recall that a VW Touran (!) won the Paris Dakar three times ?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3317874)   #2706
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
And on top of this, www.24h-lemans.com speculates about the arrival of Red Bull in Endurance Racing as Porsche sponsor.
Webber must be scared now that Vettel will follow him
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3317884)   #2707
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
English: http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/po...746_12758.html
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3317886)   #2708
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
In http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...tanlage_en.mp4 and http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...tzinger_en.mp4 Porsche reveals quite a bit about the drive train: rear axle driven by combustion engine and front axle by electric motor(s), high voltage battery for energy storage and a heat energy recovery system.

Judging from this picture the cilinders are arranged in a V layout. So that suggest a V4 turbo.

It is difficult to see the turbo configuration: single or double turbo and exhaust inside V or not?
Also interesting that it's not a Carbon gearbox, like Audi's, but a "regular one".
To me it looks like a Single Turbo inside the V?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3317887)   #2709
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80 View Post
Webber must be scared now that Vettel will follow him
Not really, isn't Dietrich Mateschitz (i.e. the big boss at Red Bull) the only person in the organization with which Webber actually gets along?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3317895)   #2710
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Also interesting that it's not a Carbon gearbox, like Audi's, but a "regular one".
This being a test rig, I trust that we are not seeing the exact engine and gearbox layout.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3317898)   #2711
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it comes to pass I'm quite excited about the prospect of Red Bull Porsches.

It's a company that can actually benefit the sport more than endurance racing could ever benefit them.

I just hope if they choose to partner up that they'll activate against it - as there's some cool stuff that can be done with the idea of endurance. Energy drink sponsorship is a no-brainer really.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3317901)   #2712
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if they are backed by Red Bull they might do what VW have done with their Polo WRC's - and not go for the blue colour, but the company colour - White, with black/ red trim plus the Red Bull logo? In a lot of the mock ups of the Polo, they were the usual blue - until they unveiled in it Monaco in December - and it was white.

Any thoughts?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3317903)   #2713
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would actually rather see Red Bull sponsoring smaller manufactures and teams, as Porsche "don't need" this kind, like smaller teams.
Pescarolo or Rebellion with Red Bull money would be more interesting to me .

But I'm perfectly happy to settle with Porsche Red Bull, if thats all I can get
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3317915)   #2714
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I would actually rather see Red Bull sponsoring smaller manufactures and teams
I think we all would. But Red Bull aren't a charity unfortunately.

I actually think a big brand coming into sportscar racing is a positive, even if they attach themselves to the biggest team.

IF this all happens I'm sure we'll see a Red Bull chicane on the Mulsanne or some kind of party tent somewhere. They would add an interesting dynamic to the race I think.

Is it still banned in Denmark Mathias?
Old 14 Oct 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3317916)   #2715
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

IF this all happens I'm sure we'll see a Red Bull chicane on the Mulsanne or some kind of party tent somewhere. They would add an interesting dynamic to the race I think.
Perhaps we could have the Red Bull Ten Tenths Meeting?

Just as long as I don't have to drink any of the foul stuff........
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3317923)   #2716
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
I think we all would. But Red Bull aren't a charity unfortunately.

I actually think a big brand coming into sportscar racing is a positive, even if they attach themselves to the biggest team.

Is it still banned in Denmark Mathias?
Sadly, no charity from Red Bull, although it would suit them .

I expect to cut down on my Energy drink import to Le Mans, and instead get a few handed from a pretty girl or two! Red Bull will surely put it's stamp on the race if they choose to support Porsche.

No, unfortunately not. Red Bull became legal in 2009, with a very damaging effect on children.
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3317927)   #2717
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Several media, including DSC and Midweek Motorsport, rumoured a Red Bull link back in June after Mark Webber and Neel Jani were confirmed.

Linking Hartley to Porsche as a result of Red Bull support seems bit more strange as they confirmed they had stopped supporting him a couple of years ago. Jani kept doing Red Bull demo runs and tests even when racing for Rebellion - Hartley didn't. Nevertheless he has LMP experience, is fast and has valuable simulator experience (and no, not of the Gran Turismo kind).
Old 14 Oct 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3317932)   #2718
deggis
Veteran

Finland
I'd like to see that (or any major sponsor) but imho Red Bull driver X + Red Bull driver Y = Red Bull sponsorship is not really substance.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 14:10 (Ref:3317986)   #2719
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I would actually rather see Red Bull sponsoring smaller manufactures and teams, as Porsche "don't need" this kind, like smaller teams.
Pescarolo or Rebellion with Red Bull money would be more interesting to me
+1

Quote:
I just hope if they choose to partner up that they'll activate against it - as there's some cool stuff that can be done with the idea of endurance. Energy drink sponsorship is a no-brainer really.
Depending on how you look at it. On one hand energy drinks are advertised as something that would help your 'endurance'. On the other hand some say (doctors), energy drinks is the last thing one should use for this purpose. But the real reason energy drinks aren't that prominent in endurance racing is that their target audience doesn't have the attention span sufficient to endure even a BTCC race, and is more suited to drifting, jumping ramps and similar kind of entertainment.

Not so much of a no-brainer. It's just that Red Bull seem to have an established presence everywhere else so they got to endurance racing.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3318129)   #2720
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'd like to see that (or any major sponsor) but imho Red Bull driver X + Red Bull driver Y = Red Bull sponsorship is not really substance.
Don't forget that Mateschitz said that Webber was leaving the Red Bull F1 team but not the Red Bull family. So in my opinion this means that Webber will still get some kind of Red Bull support. Combine that with other VW/Porsche-Red Bull connections and you can conclude that the rumours are based on more then just Red Bull driver X + Red Bull driver Y.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3318138)   #2721
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
Don't forget that Mateschitz said that Webber was leaving the Red Bull F1 team but not the Red Bull family. So in my opinion this means that Webber will still get some kind of Red Bull support.
Which might mean just a logo on the helmet, a drinking bottle and few PR days.

Quote:
Combine that with other VW/Porsche-Red Bull connections and you can conclude that the rumours are based on more then just Red Bull driver X + Red Bull driver Y.
Like I said, I'd like to see this happen but in my opinion, if they want to do it, they'll do it regardless of driver/other connections (not sure what VW & WRC has to do with this, completely different sport and catering to different audience/needs). Infact, if Porsche ends up having no title/major sponsor, imho that will be a terrible sign of the state of WEC.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3318228)   #2722
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Red Bull massively sponsor Audi already , in DTM . I'd be surprised if there was no RB sponsorship following Webber .

Other title sponsor will be Mobil .
Old 15 Oct 2013, 22:49 (Ref:3318229)   #2723
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
...Infact, if Porsche ends up having no title/major sponsor, imho that will be a terrible sign of the state of WEC.
Don't agree. Quite honestly why should Porsche share their cars with another brand? It's a well-funded works team with no badly need of money. Do we really like to see a LMP1 Porsche with "Red Bull, "Coke" or "Monster" livery...? That doesn't fit together. I'm not to be stoked.

Old 15 Oct 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3318239)   #2724
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche's drivetrain is revealed.
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...staende_en.mp4
Old 15 Oct 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3318244)   #2725
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Samurai View Post
Cool. TDFI.