Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Jul 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3280304)   #226
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Not true. NASCAR owns no piece of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park née Mosport.
Next you'll say NASCAR didn't own Speed.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3280305)   #227
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
This was after the #4 passed the #17 to put it a lap down. The #4 was able to gap the 2nd and 3rd place cars because they couldn't get around Wolf. The sentiment was that once you are a lap down he should have let the leaders go.
I'm pretty sure the post was referring to the Garcia/Henzler battle.

As for the other situation, two points:

1:It seemed to me that the 17 held up the 4 for a longer period of time than the 91 & 56 ( It may have just seemed that way because the 4 is a Corvette!)

2: I would say that the 17 had every right to try and stay ahead of the other cars, because if something had happened to the 4 (and caused a yellow) they would be back on the lead lap.

Whatever the case, rough race for the 17.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 00:50 (Ref:3280306)   #228
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Sharp was doing a lot better towards the end of the race. He had pulled right up to Franchitti's wing, and had Luhr not split the two before the line, he could possibly have fought him for the lead.

Also, Sharp's speed deficit to Franchitti was pretty similar to Franchitti's speed deficit to Conway!
I need to correct myself. Apparently both Franchitti and Sharp had quicker fastest laps than Conway.
Sharp also set the 01's fastest lap, by the way.
http://scoring.alms.com/
Old 22 Jul 2013, 01:56 (Ref:3280317)   #229
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really enjoyed todays race, there were some great class battles.
Corvette and BMW have won all the races this year, so I would have preferred to see the Viper win the GT class, but it was still super good racing.

I wish that Luhr had stayed behind the LMP2 battle at the finish, I think that Scott Sharp might have gotten by the Level five car, if he'd had one more lap.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3280319)   #230
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the post was referring to the Garcia/Henzler battle.

As for the other situation, two points:

1:It seemed to me that the 17 held up the 4 for a longer period of time than the 91 & 56 ( It may have just seemed that way because the 4 is a Corvette!)

2: I would say that the 17 had every right to try and stay ahead of the other cars, because if something had happened to the 4 (and caused a yellow) they would be back on the lead lap.

Whatever the case, rough race for the 17.
Does anyone really expect Wolf Henzler to not race aggressively?
In a class as ultra competitive as the ALMS GT class, the drivers have to give 110% ALL THE TIME, whether they are fighting for position or trying to stay on (or near) the lead lap.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:04 (Ref:3280320)   #231
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
+1, that was great stuff and a nice post-race interview. Reminded me of Bourdais last weekend after the first IndyCar race in Toronto - acknowledging that a win would have been nice, but that the winner deserved it and really happy for the great result for the team.

More of this please, and less from whining drivers.
+2
Old 22 Jul 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3280480)   #232
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I really enjoyed todays race, there were some great class battles.
Corvette and BMW have won all the races this year, so I would have preferred to see the Viper win the GT class, but it was still super good racing.

I wish that Luhr had stayed behind the LMP2 battle at the finish, I think that Scott Sharp might have gotten by the Level five car, if he'd had one more lap.
I thought the same about the P2 battle as well. Scott Sharp seems to go Pro every year at Mosport. He was dynamite in Acura P2 back in 07-08.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 13:51 (Ref:3280492)   #233
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post

I thought the same thing at the time... that "last lap" might have been dynamite. But then, Luhr was aiming at the finish line so I don't think I can fault him for just driving across it, rather than distracting himself by getting out of someone else's way... he was the race leader after all.

Ah well.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3280518)   #234
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MM didn't have to go hard. They could have backed off and gotten out of the way of both the GT battle, and the P2 battle.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 22 Jul 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3280519)   #235
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree somewhat, but imagine a post race interview of Lucas Luhr: "Yeah I backed off as the pits had told me that I'm approaching the P2 battle for the lead so I thought I'd give them an extra lap to duke it out", and imagine the order would have changed in that extra lap. That wouldn't have felt right either. It's a pity because it would have been a nice extra lap, on the other hand they (MM that is) kept cutting through traffic at a steady pace and over the course of the race did their average ruining of class-battles without specific preference. That's just fine, too, to me.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 17:02 (Ref:3280533)   #236
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Really impressed by Farnbacher. After that order to Wittmer basically telling him to knock other cars out of the way, I expected to see the 91 car racing very roughly, but Farnbacher never put a fender on the Corvette. Really classy driving, and an equally classy interview after the race.
I've always liked Farnbacher and felt it was quite a coup for SRT to pick him up. I'm happy to see his success and to see SRT being so competitive so soon after forming their team. It would nice to see this team achieve the top of the podium in GT before the year is out. You just gotta love that big old snake!

DK
Old 23 Jul 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3280668)   #237
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed the race. Spent the weekend on the inside of Turn 3. Friday was interesting, weather-wise. Got our tents flattened and my tent even had two pegs snapped. After that the weather was great.

Some pics:

I'm sold on the Delta Wing. It was pretty damn quick considering it only had 350hp. It did sound funny though.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 02:04 (Ref:3280680)   #238
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is the link to the Toronto Sun article concerning Mosport (CTMP) getting a round of the new USCR in 2014.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/19...portscar-event

My dad and I were talking about this ad nauseum this weekend. I certainly hope this is true.

The USCR needs to be at Mosport and Mosport needs the USCR. It's a match that is perfect.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 04:38 (Ref:3280699)   #239
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Vipers, but that is a really cool picture. It has sort of a jet-fighter formation look.
Old 23 Jul 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3280702)   #240
Matra
Rookie

Matra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deja Vu

Just saw the race, awesome! Not sure if someone already mentioned this but this race was 2000 all over again, except the Vipers were trying to break through for a win instead of the other way around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLCJsWBj3Q
Old 23 Jul 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3280786)   #241
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the Vipers, but that is a really cool picture. It has sort of a jet-fighter formation look.
Maybe you'll like this one instead...

Old 23 Jul 2013, 18:22 (Ref:3280907)   #242
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
I agree somewhat, but imagine a post race interview of Lucas Luhr: "Yeah I backed off as the pits had told me that I'm approaching the P2 battle for the lead so I thought I'd give them an extra lap to duke it out", and imagine the order would have changed in that extra lap. That wouldn't have felt right either. It's a pity because it would have been a nice extra lap, on the other hand they (MM that is) kept cutting through traffic at a steady pace and over the course of the race did their average ruining of class-battles without specific preference. That's just fine, too, to me.
^
You said much better what I was trying to get at.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3281244)   #243
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What a great weekend! I arrived a little later than originally planned, which turned out to be a good thing... Arriving at the park the people at the gate explained how I had narrowly missed a major wind storm. According to them, there was quite a bit of damage, which was evident as soon as I got inside. Tents down, outhouses on their sides, one of the teams told me that they'd nearly lost their canopies. And then the rain came, just as I was unrolling the tent. The night cleared enough for a fire, but there was a ton of lightning and two more deluges through the night. But come Saturday morning, the weather was perfect.

Canadian Tire Motorsports Park is looking really, really good. The improvements are numerous and I was really impressed. Ended up staying on the outside of the exit to T1, near the paddock, and watched the race from three vantage points. (Took almost 800 pictures!) As always, met alot of wonderful race fans and always seemed to have a beer in my hand by 10AM.

Admittedly disappointed that Risi Competizione was not there, it was interesting to see the Deltawing for the first time. (Finally found something uglier than an IndyCar!)

Yes, another fantastic weekend at Mosport (I doubt if I'll ever call it CTMSP).