Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Jun 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3552653)   #476
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the bubble has burst that's all.

He has a polarising personality that does not endear him to fans or marshals, and I imagine he would be a target for a lot of people.

It is a shame as he is a huge talent, but there are also guys before and since that are equally deserving.

Look at Tohill, there is a guy who lives east and breaths the sport, always has a smile on his face. Has won championships. Guys in the past like Nick Jones, Barry Squibb, Richard Hutton in my eyes are equally if not more talented than Doran, they just didn have the bucketfuls of cash that he has.
Old 21 Jun 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3552680)   #477
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had the impression for a while now that his heart isn't in it- the sport is something he enjoys, but he doesn't want to do it full time. The pressure to do well at the top level is probably really great, especially if you're a well known driver. I might be way off base, but I'm wondering if the illegal cars are a way of trying to get a ban so he can have a break!

(Just my impression, solidified after talking to him at Lydden.)
Old 21 Jun 2015, 13:12 (Ref:3552702)   #478
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I do not think he has had his heart in it for a couple of years really. His form is up and down. It's hardly a demanding championship in comparison to some. But I guess he is running his own team. The other teams are far bigger and better backed and with more staff. LDM goes through a lot of staff, so no continuity. Last year was a total disaster and maybe that is why backing had dropped.

So why keep going then? Sponsor duty, but it seems Monster have really dropped off this year with their backing of him. And I would think he was very heavily backed by them in recent years so is perhaps funding more himself or thru Dad.

Seriously I think he is more suited to American racing, not rallycross. Something like WORR.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3552923)   #479
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For anyone who missed it, this is the official line from LDM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Doran Facebook
FIA World Rallycross Championship competitor Liam Doran regrets to announce that he will be unable to contest this weekend’s round of the 2015 championship this weekend in Germany. The decision was taken out of the 28-year-old driver’s hands following a shipping and customs delay with vital components for his Citroen DS3 Supercar, which were returning from the recent X-Games competition in Austin, Texas, USA.

“I’m gutted to miss round five of WorldRX like this. We were ready to race, the team trucks and pit awning were in place in the paddock in Germany, and now we’ve been forced out because of technicality on scrutineering times."

“The whole team has worked relentlessly to run a car in the USA at X Games and then haul back to Europe for the World Championship. We also rebuilt the car to meet regulation changes and have worked to a very tight schedule. It’s frustrating to say the least.

“I was really looking forward to driving at the Estering, it’s one of the oldest and fastest circuits on the calendar as well as being a fantastic venue where I’ve enjoyed strong results. It’s out of my control to change now, which makes it all the worse. All I can do is look ahead to Höljes. Even though I can’t drive [here in Germany], I’ll be in the paddock at the Estering, and I want to wish my Monster Energy team mate Petter Solberg the best of luck for the weekend.”

Further details will be released over the weekend, however Liam will be back in action at the World RX of Sweden on the 3rd – 5th July.
If the above is true then that's the second time a US event has proved detrimental to his Championship efforts: the question has got to be asked whether the US appearances are really worth the hassle.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3552946)   #480
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Or vice versa, whether his seemingly lacadasical efforts in WRX are worth the effort.

Lets face it the car is not really doing much in either series.

So time to concentrate on one or the other I think.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:20 (Ref:3552956)   #481
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
If the above is true then that's the second time a US event has proved detrimental to his Championship efforts: the question has got to be asked whether the US appearances are really worth the hassle.
What is more ironic is Petter had an invite for X Games and publicly ruled himself out because WRX was his priority and he didn't want to risk resources doing both.

Considering they are supposed team mates (in the loosest sense) if the side of the garage with more funds and a better team of mechanics decides he can't do both Liam really should have taken notice.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3552959)   #482
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Or vice versa, whether his seemingly lacadasical efforts in WRX are worth the effort.
I don't think I'd go as far as calling his efforts lackadaisical; if he was that uninterested you think he'd just scale his efforts back to a European campaign, or run another driver in his car for this year. I still think that, for whatever reason, the team are trying to bite off more than they can chew...

Quote:
So time to concentrate on one or the other I think.
...hence I would agree with this. As mentioned above the LDM DS3's were phenomenal back in 2013; they tried to do too much last year and are seemingly doing the same again this year.

Even with a proven package Petter decided that X-Games wasn't worth the risk, having already had car issues this year Liam would have been better off following the same logic.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3552993)   #483
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I do not think they are team-mates in anything other than name and sponsor.

The cars look totally different, are totally different and share only one thing, a little green logo.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 12:11 (Ref:3553004)   #484
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I do not think they are team-mates in anything other than name and sponsor.

The cars look totally different, are totally different and share only one thing, a little green logo.
Agreed - after last years debacle I'm surprised Liam has any Monster backing - presumably they didn't have a break clause in the contract. I suspect that Monster won't be renewing with Liam once the contract is up - Solberg is a better driver and a better representative for the brand (let's face it Liam is never far from controversy and the prospect of another ban is always lurking).
Old 22 Jun 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3553034)   #485
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A recognised WRX team needs two cars of the same make and model. Solberg and Doran teamed up for to chase also after the FIA team's title. I guess that is all the reason.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 14:26 (Ref:3553042)   #486
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
A recognised WRX team needs two cars of the same make and model. Solberg and Doran teamed up for to chase also after the FIA team's title. I guess that is all the reason.
True - but I suspect Solberg has eyes on the full pot of Monster cash and would rather run a second car (although that didn't work out before for whatever reason). Doran struggled to run more than one car last season and is struggling to run one this year. Do you think the 'team' will last longer than this season?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 19:05 (Ref:3553682)   #487
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if anyone else noticed it on the notice boards at Lydden WRX round but the only driver to fall foul of the stewards was Liam Doran, and what for?.. Late for scrutineering, yes at his home event! A letter from the team manager blamed the truck for the issue, they were let off and allowed to compete. Not so lucky second time.
Old 25 Jun 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3553797)   #488
Pozi
Racer

Pozi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Don't know if anyone else noticed it on the notice boards at Lydden WRX round but the only driver to fall foul of the stewards was Liam Doran, and what for?.. Late for scrutineering, yes at his home event! A letter from the team manager blamed the truck for the issue, they were let off and allowed to compete. Not so lucky second time.
In which case it was actually trying his luck for a third time because he was also late for scrutineering at the opening round in Portugal, punishment was to limit him to only 4 laps of practice.

No wonder the stewards have had enough.
Old 29 Jul 2015, 08:01 (Ref:3562110)   #489
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Short Polo launch video up on the Marklund Motorsport Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/MarklundRX/...5834466544119/

...comments seem to indicate it isn't one of the regular team drivers. Who is the mystery driver I wonder?
Old 3 Aug 2015, 19:29 (Ref:3563563)   #490
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Ogier?
Old 3 Aug 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3563577)   #491
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Ogier?
Based on the news with regards to Canada, I assume the "mystery driver" was Anton Marklund?
Old 5 Aug 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3563964)   #492
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Martin Anayi leaves IMG/WRX for rugby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Based on the news with regards to Canada, I assume the "mystery driver" was Anton Marklund?
Impressive mystery driver....not
Old 5 Aug 2015, 15:32 (Ref:3563966)   #493
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Impressive mystery driver....not
I know! There were some cracking suggestions in the comment section on Facebook for that video.

Personally I was hoping it would be your suggestion: Ogier having a go at rallycross in Loheac would be fantastic to watch!
Old 6 Aug 2015, 11:13 (Ref:3564126)   #494
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Not a chance of Ogier driving at the moment while he is still driving and competing in WRC.

Maybe Sainz or someone like that, but not a full time WRC man unless there is a break in the programme.