Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Apr 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3898300)   #476
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is genuine talent and a little left field

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Apr 2019, 22:23 (Ref:3898301)   #477
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
That is genuine talent and a little left field

Bit different from what he’s raced in the past but he’s got the talent to learn quickly. Be exciting to see how he goes.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 07:28 (Ref:3898347)   #478
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder where the money is coming from for some of these deals?
Old 18 Apr 2019, 07:31 (Ref:3898348)   #479
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Chances are it could be, yeah. I doubt motorsport would have a category that was mentioned in mainstream sports like supercars is and has been. My opinion only.

Brock, Moffat or Johnson and their motor racing exploits weren't mainstream 30-40 years ago?
Old 18 Apr 2019, 08:58 (Ref:3898355)   #480
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Wonder where the money is coming from for some of these deals?
It's cheaper than AusGT and significantly cheaper than Super2, according to the figures I'm hearing.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3898356)   #481
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When someone bins one properly let's see how much cheaper they are...

Old 18 Apr 2019, 09:16 (Ref:3898358)   #482
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same could be said for GT3 in particular.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 09:29 (Ref:3898362)   #483
Mixer
Veteran

No doubt, but I think it isn't beyond imagination to throw away a TCR car, after a good enough shunt. Still costs less than a, small prang in a GT3 Gallardo though..

Old 18 Apr 2019, 09:34 (Ref:3898363)   #484
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of the 800+ that have been built, only a relatively small handful have been scrapped.
Old 18 Apr 2019, 23:25 (Ref:3898469)   #485
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well TCR have enough cars and luckily not many of them have been in accidents
Old 19 Apr 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3898547)   #486
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When someone bins one properly let's see how much cheaper they are...
Structural repair costs should be similar to an Improved Production class car.

The cars are essentially Improved Production cars, but with internally stock engines, slick tyres instead of R-compound and paddle shifting allowed (instead of only H-pattern transmissions -- be they OEM or an aftermarket racing gearbox -- in Improved Production).

The purchase cost of the car, for that matter, is unlikely to be any greater than the cost to hire a professional team to build and engineer an Improved Production car to a similar standard of preparation.
Old 19 Apr 2019, 23:42 (Ref:3898672)   #487
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The cars are essentially Improved Production cars, but with internally stock engines, slick tyres instead of R-compound and paddle shifting allowed (instead of only H-pattern transmissions -- be they OEM or an aftermarket racing gearbox -- in Improved Production).
130k Euro for a production car you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
The purchase cost of the car, for that matter, is unlikely to be any greater than the cost to hire a professional team to build and engineer an Improved Production car to a similar standard of preparation.
Truth be told, if you took a Golf GTI, and spend half of 130k Euro you'd end up with someone WAY faster than a TCR car.

IP has its own problems, in that it was designed to be relatively cost effective but the competitors are their own worst enemies, I was around when the initial rules were drafted, and through the death of a thousand paper cuts these things are basically sports sedans now, which wasn't the intention when the class was founded.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 01:53 (Ref:3898679)   #488
Umai Naa
Veteran

Agreed, IPRA is losing the plot with its rules.

Sequential transmissions, pedal boxes, fabricated rear diff housings, rules bent to allow previously-ineligible body shapes...
Old 20 Apr 2019, 03:31 (Ref:3898691)   #489
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
130k Euro for a [Improved Production] car you say?
Yes! Why is that so hard to believe? The bog-standard production engine is possibly one of the cheapest parts of the whole car, it's everything else on the car that is expensive...
  • Honda K20C1 2.0 Type R engine - €5800 (these are available as a crate engine and the price is $US6,519.87 which I've converted to EUR).
  • JAS-Motorsport intake, intercooler and exhaust system - say €5,000
  • MoTeC ECU & dash - say €5,000
  • Sadev racing gearbox with paddle shift kit - €18,000
  • Ohlins remote reservoir racing coilovers - say €15,000
  • JAS-Motorsport fabricated rose-jointed control arms - say €10,000
  • AP Racing big brake kit - say €10,000
  • Carbon-fibre bodykit - say €20,000?
  • Pedal box - say €3,000
  • Carbon-fibre race seat - €1,500
  • Carbon-fibre dashboard - €1,500
  • Roll cage - say €10,000
  • 1 set OZ Racing 18x10" wheels included - €5,000?
  • OEM bodyshell pressings and panels including glass and light fixtures - say €10,000
  • Fuel cell & fuel pumps - €2,000
  • Labour including paint and assembly - that's the big one!
https://jasmotorsport.com/racing-car...civic-tcr-2018

The sum of the parts costs alone, without assembly and paint, is ~~€121,800 by my guesstimate.

The price seems perfectly reasonable for what you get, don't you think?

Like I said to build a Improved Production car with similar parts (Ohlins suspension, AP Racing brakes, carbon-fibre bodykit, fabricated control arms, MoTeC ECU etc) and pay for the labour for a professional team to build it, would cost just as much don't you agree?

Quote:
Truth be told, if you took a Golf GTI, and spend half of 130k Euro you'd end up with someone WAY faster than a TCR car.
But that's time attack not touring car racing! Below, they claim 800hp at 24psi on a Honda K24A3 which seems an excessive amount of power to feed through the front wheels, it must be said... It seems unlikely reliability of the time attack car is at the level of the only lightly fettled motor in the TCR...

Plus, I am far from convinced it would be "half the price" as you still need virtually all the same stuff you needed for the TCR car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms5_WOZgfBM

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 20 Apr 2019 at 03:57.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 03:37 (Ref:3898692)   #490
Mixer
Veteran

I think there's an eye-watering markup in the prices of these things, but I guess like GT3 cars, if the team has to homologate without manufacturer money they have to make their money back.

Time will tell how badly the local importers try to bleed people for parts. One of them at least has form.

So I think the purchase price is not necessarily good value, so we'll see what the ongoing costs are like.

4 weeks to the race, and we haven't got sponsors, liveries, or even 1/4 of the drivers announced yet.

One hopes there's going to be announcements just about every day from here on in... Or will we see a UK-style 7 cars?
Old 20 Apr 2019, 04:04 (Ref:3898694)   #491
Umai Naa
Veteran

If I had a VAG product, I certainly wouldn't be buying through MPC.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:29 (Ref:3898706)   #492
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well TCR have enough cars and luckily not many of them have been in accidents
Wanna Bet Video Here
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:41 (Ref:3898707)   #493
Umai Naa
Veteran

Both SLR Golfs were scrapped after that.
Old 20 Apr 2019, 06:44 (Ref:3898708)   #494
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Both SLR Golfs were scrapped after that.
Somebody from here will probably buy them as ‘projects’...
Old 20 Apr 2019, 07:15 (Ref:3898710)   #495
Umai Naa
Veteran

Shhh...
Old 20 Apr 2019, 22:43 (Ref:3898810)   #496
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
I think there's an eye-watering markup in the prices of these things, but I guess like GT3 cars, if the team has to homologate without manufacturer money they have to make their money back.

Time will tell how badly the local importers try to bleed people for parts. One of them at least has form.

So I think the purchase price is not necessarily good value, so we'll see what the ongoing costs are like.

4 weeks to the race, and we haven't got sponsors, liveries, or even 1/4 of the drivers announced yet.

One hopes there's going to be announcements just about every day from here on in... Or will we see a UK-style 7 cars?
A little worrying.

Tonnes of hype, but no substance yet
Old 20 Apr 2019, 23:00 (Ref:3898811)   #497
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Used cars out of Europe are fine until someone buys the latest toy, rendering the rest uncompetitive.
It happened in SuperTouring... it will happen here...
Is that really a bad thing from a fan perspective?

After a year or two there is a new latest toy, someone buys that and we have another new winner. In my opinion that keeps things fresh and new, and when the rules are unsuitable, something new comes along again.

The alternative is a VE Commodore racing and winning from 2007-2012, or the same model Nissan Altima winning a race in 2013 and in 2018...

Just my opinion and not the popular one of course
Old 20 Apr 2019, 23:28 (Ref:3898812)   #498
Mixer
Veteran

You missed a 4 year old FG-X winning the championship... And who didn't upgrade from VE to VEII?

Old 21 Apr 2019, 01:18 (Ref:3898817)   #499
Umai Naa
Veteran

VE II was just a styling change to the headlights, grille, and a subtle change to the bootlid between the taillights.

Not significant enough to mention.

As I mentioned before, no matter how good the latest TCR machine might be, BOP will take care of it.
Old 21 Apr 2019, 06:32 (Ref:3898832)   #500
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If I had a VAG product, I certainly wouldn't be buying through MPC.
MPC To Provide Trackside TCR Motorsport Parts Service