Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Nov 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1142202)   #1
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track training days - advice??

I've spent the last 2 years designing and building a car to compete in the 750 Formula. I am a bit behind schedule but reckon I should be able to run the car from July 2005.

Between now and then I want to get some track time in. I am doing the Silverstone 5 day intensive course easrly next year. But I wouldn't mind doing the occassional track day at other circuits just to get used to the lay out. Any tuition that gets chucked in is also handy. I want to have driven on most of the circuits by the time I start to race at them.

So how is this best gone about? The Octogan motor sport web site does not seem to be working. Is it best to try and book it through them directly?

Any other ideas about how I can get on a grey stuff for cheaper track time? Has anyone got any services they can offer to me directly?
Old 1 Nov 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1142235)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Octagon is er gone.

Not sure what the website is for Brands, Cadwell, Oulton and Snet these days.

However you can generally test at Mallory Park on a Wednesday morning for around £90.00.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1142252)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most Track Day organisers have 'tame' ARDS Instructors on hand to offer tuition / advice on the day. Try Circuit Driver magazine for info.
Old 1 Nov 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1142410)   #4
acf8181
Racer

acf8181 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you'll love the SRS five-day course, and it really helps you get on top of track driving. money well spent IMO.

almost all trackdays have instructors around, if not i know ian carvell (vw cup racer) does tuition. only way i know of getting hold of him is through the clubgti forum.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1142660)   #5
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 5-day course at Silverstone always seems overkill to me. IMHO you'd be better just doing an ARDS test then going racing - nothing teaches you how to race better than racing...

Anyway, getting off topic. Most trackday organisers would be happy to have you out as long as the car is well sorted, not constantly breaking down or leaking oil (try Bookatrack.com). If you are still trying to sort the car, somewhere like Bruntingthorpe might be a better bet as they will do an hour's individual testing (as might Three Sisters, Curborough or Llandow depending where you are in the country).
Old 2 Nov 2004, 09:33 (Ref:1142681)   #6
Ntrprise
Rookie

1 small thing I might not have made clear.... I need a car! Mine will not be in a fir state. So ideally, a school who can give me car, tuition and time on the tracks I will be competing on.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1142729)   #7
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The good doctor's website is http://motorsportvision.co.uk/
Old 2 Nov 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1142811)   #8
acf8181
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
The 5-day course at Silverstone always seems overkill to me. IMHO you'd be better just doing an ARDS test then going racing - nothing teaches you how to race better than racing...
i totally disagree....the course fast tracks you upto a level that would take a good seasons racing to get to. now which would cost less
Old 2 Nov 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1142814)   #9
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guys (and girls) I've raced against who've done the course have never seemed to have much race craft...
Old 2 Nov 2004, 14:27 (Ref:1142871)   #10
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing that funds are not abundant. I would spend the time and money saved on tuition, on your car. Then get out on test days with the 750 Motor Club...they seem a friendly bunch and they will point you in the right direction. You will learn more, quicker by throwing yourself in at the deep end...good luck.
Old 2 Nov 2004, 20:56 (Ref:1143266)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
if you just want to learn track layouts, use a PC and also the UK Circuit Guide (from the same pub. as Circuit Driver magazine,
http://www.circuitdriver.com/
Old 4 Nov 2004, 07:42 (Ref:1144486)   #12
acf8181
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
The guys (and girls) I've raced against who've done the course have never seemed to have much race craft...
maybe you've raced against the wrong ones then
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:47 (Ref:1145536)   #13
bbr73
Rookie

bbr73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk

All well and good going in at the deep-end, but isn't it much nicer to have someone tell you how to swim rather than thrashing about in a mad panic like a shark attack scene from Jaws.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1145553)   #14
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Quote:
Originally posted by bbr73

All well and good going in at the deep-end, but isn't it much nicer to have someone tell you how to swim rather than thrashing about in a mad panic like a shark attack scene from Jaws.
You've seen me drive then
Old 5 Nov 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1145642)   #15
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless you are really planning to throw some big money at this racing lark doing a big chunk of testing in a rented racing car is likely to cost a lot. Budget something like £600 - £700 per day for hire of car plus mechanic and say £200 ish for testing fees.
I would agree with StephenRae that you would be much better off getting your car up and running and then do whatever testing you can afford in that car. Once you have done the Silverstone 5 day course you will be a lot better prepared to go racing than most novices.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1145685)   #16
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whereabouts are you in the country NT ??
Old 5 Nov 2004, 20:32 (Ref:1145767)   #17
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will be the only person I know of in 750 formula that has done a race driving course! It will certainly give you a lot of experience in a short time. 750 formula being what it is, you can spend a more time in your first season getting the car reliable than learning to drive. Once the car is sorted then you can learn to drive. Once you have learnt to drive, that's when you start learning how to race!!
Old 6 Nov 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1146062)   #18
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Once you are up and running with your car, take kickstarts' advice and get it reliable. During testing you will get to know your competitors, you may even persuade a quick guy to drive it and while he is at it your bound to get some free instruction.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 11:52 (Ref:1148428)   #19
Ntrprise
Rookie

I am based in Staines. I have managed to save a bit of money for racing as I have been planning this for best part of 4 years and have been saving throughout this time (and not spending much on the car). The car took 1 year to design, I then took 1 year out to build a suitable garage / workshop, and have been building the car for 1 year.

I guess my biggest nerves are because I have never raced before and most people in the league seem to have a few good years behind them.

Still - you have to start somewhere! I am most worried about my inexperience damaging other cars! Naturelly I plan to be careful but experience goes a long long way.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1148638)   #20
MightyMiniMan
Rookie

MightyMiniMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ntr,

Don't worry... I only started to race in the Mighty Minis Championship this year.(I only did the last 3 races last year). At the start I was ****!! No confidence, No racecraft, No Speed..LOL

But it all comes down to track time and race experience.. With a reliable car under you both of the above provide you with Soo much confidence you will amaze yourself.

I was pootling about at the back of the pack in position 20 plus.. I finished the year qualifying 5th in the last event and finishing in the top 10 in the last 4 or five races.. Overall finished 12th in the championship..

Get your car sorted... Then get it out on track.. Either on Track days, Official Test days, etc.. Get to know your car, learn it's limits, learn your limits..

But rest assured, once you get out there you find it very hard to turn the engine off and stop.. It's a Drug!!!

Evan McHugh
#33 Mighty Mini
www.TurtyTree.co.uk
Old 12 Nov 2004, 15:23 (Ref:1151664)   #21
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ntrprise,
The 750MC have their annual early season test day at Goodwood on the 26/02. If your car is up and running it would be good for you to meet some of your competitors plus get some seat time. Apply early though as this day is very popular.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:47 (Ref:1151743)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Ntprise,
If you've never raced anything at all, then I would highly recommend a few trips to the nearest arrive-and-drive kart track. Have a play and find out for yourself what "racing lines" and "keeping momentum" actually feel like. Also have a go at a race meeting (usually open to anyone) for a bit of practice dealing with other vehicles being about. It won't teach you anything about how to drive your own car, but it will give you valuable experience for very little money.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1151768)   #23
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ntprise,

I'm not a racer but a marshal..............

However if you take stype38's advice and go to a kart track locally I can come along and give you some support and hopefully a challenge (I used to work at a Kart centre for a year or so part-time). I'll also talk you into doing some marshalling as well!!!!
Karting will certainly teach you a thing or too that is useful in any racing. I'm not far away from Staines (Reading's only 35 mins or so on a good day) - so let me know!

Also if you are not already - try and join a local car club (the MSA website has a searchable database). They often have lots of events and track days and some people who can give you help and advice.

Doug
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:53 (Ref:1151794)   #24
acf8181
Racer

dougk - you're in my neck of the woods i'm in maidenhead!

karting is always a good way to learn race craft...but there are some really rubbish indoor kart tracks that have painted floors and the driving style won't really teach you anything that can be carried over to cars IMO. i'd recommend going to outdoor places such as buckmore park, and it costs about the same as indoor during winter, plus the karts are much faster, and they let you out in the wet on slicks!
Old 13 Nov 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1152314)   #25
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by acf8181
i'd recommend going to outdoor places such as buckmore park, and it costs about the same as indoor during winter, plus the karts are much faster, and they let you out in the wet on slicks!
Ohhhh, how I remember it well! 6pm on a winter's evening, pitch dark, persissting down with rain, twin engine prokarts on slicks. If that doesn't teach you brake and throttle control, nothing will. Practice that for a while and learn to keep it on the track and you'll be amazed at what happens when you eventually get in your car. The first time conditions are slippery, you'll be happily cruising around the track thinking about how much grip there is, while wondering why everyone else is throwing it at the scenery.

Last edited by dtype38; 13 Nov 2004 at 11:04.