Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2141456)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Alan Henry's Top 100 Formula One Drivers (Possible Spoilers)

Alan Henry's latest book, The Top 100 F1 Drivers of all Time, is sure to put the cat amongst the pigeons and create plenty of debate. Here are the Top 100.

Those who wish to wait for the book, look away now.

1. Moss
2. Clark
3. Senna
4. Prost
5. Ascari
6. Fangio
7. Rosemeyer
8. Stewart
9. Nuvolari
10. Hakkinen
11. M. Schumacher
12. G. Villeneuve
13. Amon
14. Brooks
15. Reutemann
16. Varzi
17. Fittipaldi
18. Brabham
19. Ma. Andretti
20. Lauda
21. Rindt
22. Piquet Sr
23. Moll
24. Surtees
25. Peterson
26. Lang
27. Gurney
28. K. Rosberg
29. Raikkonen
30. Hamilton
31. Mansell
32. Alonso
33. Carracciola
34. Pironi
35. Ickx
36. Alan Jones
37. Hunt
38. P. Hill
39. D. Hill
40. Hawthorn
41. Farina
42. Scheckter
43. Wimille
44. G. Hill
45. Cevert
46. Berger
47. P. Rodriguez
48. Behra
49. J. Villeneuve
50. R. Rodriguez
51. Regazzoni
52. Hulme
53. Alesi
54. Montoya
55. Pace
56. Chiron
57. Revson
58. Siffert
59. Coulthard
60. Massa
61. Gonzalez
62. Bellof
63. de Angelis
64. Bandini
65. Patrese
66. Tambay
67. Button
68. Barrichello
69. Brundle
70. Warwick
71. Seaman
72. Depailler
73. Collins
74. McLaren
75. Alborete
76. Irvine
77. Ginther
78. Beltoise
79. Servoz-Gavin
80. Boutsen
81. Arnoux
82. Brise
83. Pryce
84. Ireland
85. Trulli
86. Watson
87. Musso
88. Sommer
89. Hailwood
90. Salvadori
91. R. Schumacher
92. von Trips
93. Lewis-Evans
94. Laffite
95. Castellotti
96. Taylor
97. Courage
98. Johansson
99. Mass
100. Redman

Wot no Baumgartner?
Old 1 Mar 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2141462)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how the hell can Hamilton rate above Alonso and the other champion drivers behind him at the moment he has only had one year in F1 yes it was great but does he deserve to be above some of the others? Button 1 race win and a handful of podiums and Trulli??? Haikkenen above Shumi both great but i think the way Shumi turned Ferrari around and has 7 WDC's next to his name he shoukld be ahead.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2141465)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, it would be interesting to see what was the criteria to make this ranking, that would give basis for some discussion here otherwise will be talking to the wind...

And ranking like that are no more than a personal take of an expert.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2141468)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
And ranking like that are no more than a personal take of an expert.
Yes, but that goes without saying. It makes no claims to be anything other than the personal opinion of an albeit highly-regarded motorsport writer.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2141471)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It is presumably a ranking for the authors top one hundred drivers who he feels were the 'best drivers' and not necessarily having anything to do with world championships etc.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 12:42 (Ref:2141495)   #6
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hah. Ralf is on the list. It's clearly the workings of a mad man.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2141507)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Yes, but that goes without saying. It makes no claims to be anything other than the personal opinion of an albeit highly-regarded motorsport writer.
That's for sure, but there's no room for discussion without the "how" he got to come to that list, that's the point.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2141510)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Lists like this one are always interesting, but always controversial. I suspect Nigel Roebuck would also put Moss at #1, but it is entirely a subjective opinion.

By and large, the top ten in such lists remains the same, even though the order will be different. Normally M Schumacher would be in there, but I think Alan Henry has knocked him back for his lack of on-track professional courtesy, shall we say.

During the week I have read a couple of articles about the book, one by Henry himself and the other by Mark Hughes. One of them made the point, which is a good one, that although Fangio's record is statistically phenomenal, he was almost always in the best car. In contrast, Moss was not.

I expect this thread will end up in Armchair Enthusiast, where it will run and run.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2141514)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Normally M Schumacher would be in there, but I think Alan Henry has knocked him back for his lack of on-track professional courtesy, shall we say.
Yes, that must be the reason, but to be fair to all, Senna should be close (or closer) to him, and Fernando Alonso certainly down the list or even out of it.

Last edited by Bononi; 1 Mar 2008 at 13:47.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2141551)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think it is too bad a list actually, not a lot to disagree with. I'd put Prost ahead of Senna though.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:00 (Ref:2141553)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Fascinating list - I'm going to have to buy the book to read the explanations!

A few things strike me about it:

- Schumacher so low down despite his incredible record. I can only assume it's because of his unfortunate ability to attract controversy.
- Hamilton in 30th - I think he's got potential to be one of the best ever, but I personally think it's a bit soon to be considering him a better driver than, say, Mansell.
- I can only assume he was getting desperate when he got into the 80s, having put Trulli at 85.
- Where's Sakon Yamamoto?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:04 (Ref:2141557)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would put Michael somewhere in the top 10 and ahead of Hakkinen. Hamilton being ahead of Alonso and Mansell is laughable at this stage of Lewis' career.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2141562)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If we are talking pure speed, Hakkinen was superior to Michael. Achievements wise, Schumacher is superior to Hakkinen. Unfortunately, one of these drivers resorted to some pretty poor stuff at times.

The same reason I'd put Prost ahead of Senna, similar skill and speed but Prost just did it cleaner.

It is important to note that this is not a list of drivers who are the best statistically. Statistics are a small part of things and far too much importance is placed on them these days.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:19 (Ref:2141567)   #14
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book will have motivation for every drivers spot on the list right? In that case I will probably buy it.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2141572)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
- Schumacher so low down despite his incredible record. I can only assume it's because of his unfortunate ability to attract controversy.
Schumacher's insistence on a subservient team-mate was also a big factor, apparently. Personally, although I'm not Schmumacher's biggest fan, he'd walk into my Top 5.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2141579)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli on it? Ralf on it? Can't say I will be taking an interest in this book if that's what he thinks.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2141587)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Alan Henry often talks sense. It will be worth it, although miss out because of an opinion if you wish.

I think Alesi is way too high, but I'll still get it. I think everyone will find points they disagree with - it is objective you know.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2141594)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yeah, that will be very interesting to read why he rates some drivers like that...
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2141620)   #19
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf Schumacher had some good seasons. I don't think his making the top 100 is unreasonable. I'm far less sure about Alesi's ranking, or indeed Hamilton's or Button's.

Good call with Hakkinen, though.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2141624)   #20
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no way I'd have Moss there. His record simply does not rate the top 10 even. It's the opinion of a certain generation, but wholly wrong in my view.
I agree that stats aren't everything, but 15 wins and no championship against even Nigel's record of 30+ and 1 champ + indycar shows Moss to be overated. I also read somewhere that he was not mechanically aware and tended to break cars as a result.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2141627)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First thoughts. Damon ahead of his dad? I'm going to read this one.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2141630)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
It's the opinion of a certain generation, but wholly wrong in my view.
It's the opinion of a generation who were around to watch him race. If you were too young to see the likes of Moss (or even Villeneuve) in action, then the cold, hard statistics will always paint an underwhelming picture.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2141631)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
There's no way I'd have Moss there. His record simply does not rate the top 10 even. It's the opinion of a certain generation, but wholly wrong in my view.
I agree that stats aren't everything, but 15 wins and no championship against even Nigel's record of 30+ and 1 champ + indycar shows Moss to be overated. I also read somewhere that he was not mechanically aware and tended to break cars as a result.
"Pidgeon", "cat", "set", "the" and "among" qre the words that come to mind here.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2141641)   #24
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course it's someone's personal opinion. It'd be flawed without Trulli and Alesi in my view, and I'd rank Reubens higher, doubtless that'd be laughable in some folks' eyes. Who cares. I don't own the book, but I once browsed a Moss tome, and all his results were printed in full, not just F1. A cursory glance suggested that he achieved either a pole, fastest lap or win in just about every race he entered.

Can't wait to read it.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2141649)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Likewise I wouldn't put those two (Trulli/Alesi) in the top 200, but as you say, it is a personal opinion.