Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Feb 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3714547)   #2301
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Turkington and Collard will both run BMW colours, the PR said?
That's what I got from it too.

Interesting how Dick said (in a previous interview) he hoped all 3 cars would be run in the same livery in 2018. That would either mean Pirtek leaving, scaling back their requirements to run a fully-Pirtek branded car or upping their involvement to have limited exposure on all 3 cars.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3714551)   #2302
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
I did too and did a bit of Googling - apparently, GardX was appointed as the official paint and interior protection supplier for BMW in January 2016. Not sure if that deal came about as a result of any BTCC involvement or not.
If you buy a new car from JCT 600 you get offered the GardX and I assume that is why they have backed Sam Tordoff for a few years, back to his Porsche days.
Sam was a BMW Ambassador last year and JCT are big BMW distributors so I guess it all ties up

When it comes to GT racing you have to see the influence of his manager (Tim Sugden) who made a very successful switch to GT in 1997 and has never looked back.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 20:30 (Ref:3714573)   #2303
ExplodeTheApex
Racer

United Kingdom
ExplodeTheApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best livery out of any team for years. Props to BMW and a testament to WSR's exemplary outfit.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3714582)   #2304
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The BTCC couldn't be further from how BMW would use their money to promote the brand.
couldnt help bring this one back up
Old 24 Feb 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3714585)   #2305
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodeTheApex View Post
Best livery out of any team for years. Props to BMW and a testament to WSR's exemplary outfit.
Maybe it will look better in the flesh but I'm not convinced yet. Can't put my finger on it but just something not quite right about it.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 22:31 (Ref:3714590)   #2306
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
anyone noticed there still still is a "GardxX" sticker on it ?

and Jordan confirmed he will run under "BMW Pirtek Racing" banner
As he was already with the team when the manufacturer backing arrived, he's hardly going to distance himself. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year, having seen him leave motorbase due to pirtek needing different exposure to the headline sponsor.
Old 24 Feb 2017, 22:56 (Ref:3714594)   #2307
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
As he was already with the team when the manufacturer backing arrived, he's hardly going to distance himself. It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year, having seen him leave motorbase due to pirtek needing different exposure to the headline sponsor.
Perhaps the factory backing helped entice him away.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3714623)   #2308
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Perhaps the factory backing helped entice him away.
Possibly, it just seems strange that if the factory backing existed at the time of Jordan's signing, I would expect more cross-over between liveries.

The BMW ProtectX cars have no reference to Pirtek or Red Bull, and the Pirtek car only has the 'M' branding that existed previously on the WSR cars, and is different to the part of BMW being promoted on the other two.

To me, everything feels like the BMW entry will be Turkington/Collard, and the Pirtek car will be run in the same way to IHG previously. As Dick Bennetts wants all three cars to be the same in 2018, I still think that is where Pirtek/BMW may have different desires (like Pirtek/Shredded Wheat).

My fear is that we will see Jordan looking for his fifth team in five years.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 09:13 (Ref:3714645)   #2309
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why are you stressing out about 2018? Enjoy the upcoming season first!
Old 25 Feb 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3714651)   #2310
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Why are you stressing out about 2018? Enjoy the upcoming season first!
I just find it something else that will be intriguing about the 2017 season, watching the dynamic within the WSR squad, whilst knowing that there may be a situation developing for the season end.

On paper 2017 looks to have so much promise, I just hope that certain politics don't get in the way of open racing (in all teams, not just WSR and BMR).
Old 25 Feb 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3714656)   #2311
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news that we have another works team. Just a shame once again that WSR's graphic designer has conjured up another batch of awkward stripes that neither flow with the lines of the car or remain constant across the length ends up looking cheap :/ the mix of colours on the front lip looks silly too in my eyes.

It started with the first eBay livery on the 125 (year two was better) then returned with the IHG livery and GardX (again the second year's versions seems more refined). Just seems rushed.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 11:31 (Ref:3714657)   #2312
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I know the guy who designed the questionable Pepsi Max livery on the FPR Falcons in Australia did the 2013 livery, not sure if it is still the case.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3714658)   #2313
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLiTZ View Post
Great news that we have another works team. Just a shame once again that WSR's graphic designer has conjured up another batch of awkward stripes that neither flow with the lines of the car or remain constant across the length ends up looking cheap :/ the mix of colours on the front lip looks silly too in my eyes.

It started with the first eBay livery on the 125 (year two was better) then returned with the IHG livery and GardX (again the second year's versions seems more refined). Just seems rushed.
I feel the same - the livery could have been much better in my opinion, especially where the side/rear stripe meets the door. With the Hondas going black hopefully we'll see some more colourful liveries at media day.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 12:27 (Ref:3714663)   #2314
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know the guy who designed the questionable Pepsi Max livery on the FPR Falcons in Australia did the 2013 livery, not sure if it is still the case.
Looks like it was this guy:

@nickmossdesign on Twitter

http://www.nickmossdesign.com
Old 25 Feb 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3714676)   #2315
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which sounds better ?

Triple Champion Colin Turkington OR
Quadruple champion Gordon Shedden
Old 25 Feb 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3714678)   #2316
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
which sounds better ?

Triple Champion Colin Turkington OR
Quadruple champion Gordon Shedden
I think the question should be: which is most likely? I don't gamble, but if I did I would have a flutter on CT.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3714680)   #2317
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Speaking of liveries, my favorite has to be the Vauxhall Cavalier from 1995. I also really like the 1998 entries for Volvo, Nissan and Peugeot. I think when there were a lot of works entries it allowed nice uncluttered, simplistic designs that are naturally going to allow for more attractive liveries.

Great news to see BMW throwing their weight behind WSR, they fully deserve it. I'm hoping this my be an opening of the floodgates if a company like BMW getting involved. Although I'm probably dreaming a bit, it would be great to see the manufacturer involvement we had in the mid 90's, but with a much tighter grip on the rules than was the case back then. If other car companies see BMW making it work, others may follow suit too. Probably getting a bit carried away, but it's nice to dream a little!

Last edited by Rob877; 25 Feb 2017 at 15:22.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3714706)   #2318
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it remains to be seen how much backing Vauxhall are actually giving to PMR, will they have any Vauxhall stickers on the car? However any works efforts should be applauded I guess. I just hope that any mass withdrawals doesn't decimate the field and that it's not a repeat of past rulesets.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3714727)   #2319
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
A lot of the circuits were new to Simpson - and of course the car was new as well so he was probably suffering from trying to learn the circuits and dial in the car at the same time. Hopefully the move to Dynamics will help with the car setup side of things and I guess he'll have access to Neal and Sheddens data too so will be able to learn from that.
He had access to Shedden's data last season.
Old 25 Feb 2017, 22:20 (Ref:3714733)   #2320
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post

Speaking of liveries, my favorite has to be the Vauxhall Cavalier from 1995. I also really like the 1998 entries for Volvo, Nissan and Peugeot. I think when there were a lot of works entries it allowed nice uncluttered, simplistic designs that are naturally going to allow for more attractive liveries.

Great news to see BMW throwing their weight behind WSR, they fully deserve it. I'm hoping this my be an opening of the floodgates if a company like BMW getting involved. Although I'm probably dreaming a bit, it would be great to see the manufacturer involvement we had in the mid 90's, but with a much tighter grip on the rules than was the case back then. If other car companies see BMW making it work, others may follow suit too. Probably getting a bit carried away, but it's nice to dream a little!
Team HMSO Cavalier livery worth a mention as a decent livery and an unexpected title sponsor - '95 season my preference with the added aero kit.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 07:44 (Ref:3714771)   #2321
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I guess it remains to be seen how much backing Vauxhall are actually giving to PMR, will they have any Vauxhall stickers on the car? However any works efforts should be applauded I guess. I just hope that any mass withdrawals doesn't decimate the field and that it's not a repeat of past rulesets.
Might have Opel stickers on it!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3714803)   #2322
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Might have Opel stickers on it!
Or Peugeot!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3714806)   #2323
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading Nigel Roebuck on Autosport website it sounds as if NASCAR are learning from BTCC and running 3 short races in place of one long one!!! 😀
Old 26 Feb 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3714808)   #2324
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Except NASCAR is doing it a ridiculous way to try and save dwindling spectator numbers. Good luck with that I say!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3714835)   #2325
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Except NASCAR is doing it a ridiculous way to try and save dwindling spectator numbers. Good luck with that I say!
Will be very interesting to see how that all plays out!