Closed Thread

Old 3 Jan 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1494350)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Pryce

Hey everyone, I was downloading some F1 clips for fun to see some things I had not seen before and some close finishes when I came across a clip for the 1977 South African GP. Not knowing what it was I watched it and I quickly relized it was a new broad cast in some language I didn't understand.

Sadly enough I didn't need to know what they were saying when i seen two marshals run out onto the track and one of them pretty much get decapitated by a formula 1 car. It was pretty sickening and I have to think probably the worse acident I have ever seen. I went online to find out what happened and and I found out not only did the track marshal die on impact but so did Tom Pryce who was the driver.

This is from the website.

At the back of the field Renzo Zorzi's Shadow stopped at the side of the track at the end of lap 21 with a split fuel pipe. There was a small fire and two marshals ran across the track, thinking that no-one was coming, despite the fact that they were on the wrong side of a blind brow. Stuck and Pryce arrived, almost side-by-side. Pryce hit the second marshal, who was carrying a fire extinguisher. The man (who was killed instantly) was thrown into the air but the extinguisher hit Pryce on the head, killing him instantly. The Shadow continued down the straight, moving gradually to the right and Laffite, who was unsure what was going on, moved alongside as the two cars approached Crowthorne. The Shadow glanced off the barriers and went straight into the Ligier. Fortunately Laffite was unhurt.

I was just wondering if anyone else had ever seen this and if anyone remembers it? Also is this the worse thing thats ever happened in F1? I've only live through 2 deaths in F1 since 1988 so I really don't know to much past that except that Lauda was borned badly and that Jackie Stewarts team mate was killed badly in qualifying or pratice warm up lap accident.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1494359)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We're all pretty much aware of what happened to Tom Pryce, Piers Courage, Gilles Villeneuve, Elio de Angelis, and so many others.

There is no "thing" more worse than a driver fatality, comparing them to measure which one is worse is distasteful, which is putting it mildly.

If you actually even bothered to use the search function on this forum, you'd have found several threads about this issue, where you would have found the answers you were looking for.

There's no need to go over this again here.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1494389)   #3
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your too harsh ASCII.

Xpunk75, your interest is natural - however, I would say that comparing them against one another is a little morbid.

I would suggest, that yes you do some research, and form your own opinion, I think you'll find that once you have - yours will pretty much reflect that of the general opinion.

Any accident should be considered as serious, and ones which result in either fatal injury or serious injury, can be intriguing. After all they are part of the sport, and - as with anything, it is peaceful to know what happened.

I would forward you on to this website; www.motorsportmemorial.org which deals with fatalities in motorsport in a respectful way.

I certainly know that when I watched the Ayrton Senna crash a few years ago (I began watching F1 in 1995) - my mind was put at rest, not out of sick fascination, moreover a sense of closure.

I hope, for your sake - that you are in a similar position to me, and are not voicing a sick fascination.

Kind Regards,

Paul
Old 3 Jan 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1494400)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately I stumbled across a clip of that accident, and out of curiosity I watched it because I had heard about it and read many books about it. I wish I hadn't.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1494411)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
As Ascii Man said, this has been covered in another thread already: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...to_threadtools

I don't think this incident needs to be discussed further.

Closed.