Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 7 Sep 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3926376)   #4726
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
In the world of homologation specials (of which I am very fond), the Plymouth Road Runner ’Superbird’ and Dodge Charger ‘Daytona’ were probably a couple of the most extreme examples. Interesting facts and comparison from that well known insurance company....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...7_Weekend_News
18ft long for a 2 door racecar! Nearly 3 feet longer than an E type.

(Also a fan of homologation specials)
Old 7 Sep 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3926378)   #4727
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Beautiful cars..... trivia fact for the day, out of the 100 (Gordon Keeble) cars manufactured, 90 are still classed as runners today. Photos of each in the club gallery.

http://www.gordonkeeble.org.uk/-Gallery/-gallery.html
One of them has belonged for many years to a friend of mine who happens to live in the same part of the world as Mr Bell. Doubt he will be giving it away though!

Last edited by John Elwin; 7 Sep 2019 at 16:23. Reason: Missing word
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:29 (Ref:3926384)   #4728
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
One of them has belonged for many years to a friend of mine who happens to live in the same part of the world as Mr Bell. Doubt he will be giving it away though!
I saw one at Helmingham Hall probably about 10 years ago. Could it have been him? Wasn’t it Ernie Knott who improved the cars later with modifications to the steering and suspension?

When I worked for Mann Egerton in the entire of Norwich (in my youth), the manager (or owner) of the Royal Hotel opposite us had one. Lovely car.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 7 Sep 2019 at 17:35.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:44 (Ref:3926388)   #4729
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I saw one at Helmingham Hall probably about 10 years ago. Could it have been him? Wasn’t it Ernie Knott who improved the cars later with modifications to the steering and suspension?

When I worked for Mann Egerton in the entire of Norwich (in my youth), the manager (or owner) of the Royal Hotel opposite us had one. Lovely car.....
Might well have been him, I don't know. He actually had two G-K's briefly. Having bought one, a better one came up for sale from Ernie Knott. I went with him to collect it from Ernie, and then drove his Trident (another East Anglian brand) back to Norfolk.

I notice the one being auctioned at Essen a couple of years ago is amongst the pics. Wonder where that ended up?
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:50 (Ref:3926389)   #4730
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
I've just read a press release from Brussels museum Autoworld concerning their forthcoming "So British!" event, & amongst the exhibits is a Gordon Keeble!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3926391)   #4731
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I've just read a press release from Brussels museum Autoworld concerning their forthcoming "So British!" event, & amongst the exhibits is a Gordon Keeble!
Good, an appropriate choice! Trident made in Ipswich, from memory? The most significant one was the car built for the World Cup Rally, or London Sydney- can’t remember which......
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:09 (Ref:3926395)   #4732
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Good, an appropriate choice! Trident made in Ipswich, from memory? The most significant one was the car built for the World Cup Rally, or London Sydney- can’t remember which......
I seem to remember the Trident factory was somewhere round the back of the bus station in Ipswich.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3926415)   #4733
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I seem to remember the Trident factory was somewhere round the back of the bus station in Ipswich.

This Trident?
Attached Thumbnails
1024px_60_SR&NMotorSportDay__2016-07-17_ONED4297.jpg   1024px_60_SR&NMotorSportDay__2016-07-17_ONED4299.jpg  
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3926425)   #4734
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, that is a Trident- Clipper I think it was called. V6 mostly, although I believe later cars (Ventura?) could have had Triumph i6. The World Cup Rally car is still around, seen some pics on google.....
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3926427)   #4735
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3926428)   #4736
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Managed to catch the McLaren film last night, by chance. A good watch, although a bit painful at times....
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3926433)   #4737
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Time for your cocoa & bed, Bob!
Old 8 Sep 2019, 04:30 (Ref:3926527)   #4738
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Time for your cocoa & bed, Bob!
If the car had been built in Luton, it would be different!
Old 8 Sep 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3926532)   #4739
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If the car had been built in Luton, it would be different!
Baby Bertha too he lot of you
Old 8 Sep 2019, 07:42 (Ref:3926540)   #4740
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Baby Bertha too he lot of you
Which of course was based on the Vauxhall Firenza which in turn was a coupe version of the Vauxhall Viva... Thank you Baub
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:07 (Ref:3926546)   #4741
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Which of course was based on the Vauxhall Firenza which in turn was a coupe version of the Vauxhall Viva... Thank you Baub
Interesting how history can get distorted. According to some motor sport orientated websites BB was built by Vauxhall, but fortunately most of us old enough remember Bill Blydenstein creating the awesome machine! And from the remains of Big Bertha....

No doubt Vauxhall paid for it all, however.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3926550)   #4742
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
This Trident?

Bill Last had a garage in Woodbridge where he sold some TVRs .
When TVR had some money problems , [ nothing new there then , ] he bought the rights to the TVR Trident model & then started making them from the "Factory " in Ipswich & TRIDENT CARS was born .

A friend of mine was chief mechanic there , & he would often turn up at my house on a Saturday morning with the latest thing they had built .

Most of the later cars were based on a Triumph TR6 chassis , with engines being either the straight 6 injected , a Ford V6 , an American 4.7 ltr V8 or other variations .
One day my mate turned up with a 7 Ltr Chrysler Hemi .
It left 2 black lines from wheelspin for several hundred yards up the road , except for a couple of gaps where the 3? speed auto box did a gearchange .
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3926551)   #4743
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Interesting how history can get distorted. According to some motor sport orientated websites BB was built by Vauxhall, but fortunately most of us old enough remember Bill Blydenstein creating the awesome machine! And from the remains of Big Bertha....

Then, as now, these things were opaque. From memory, all the Berthas were entered by Dealer Team Vauxhall (much in the same way way that Ford's would enter many of their cars through dealers such as Dagenham Motors). However, whether it was DTV stumping up the cash for Bill's cars, or it was financed by Vauxhall themselves, I don't know.

Something that has always intrigued me is whether the cars that big Gerry drove so successfully throughout the years would have been so successful in the hands of another driver? Somehow, I doubt it.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3926552)   #4744
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Then, as now, these things were opaque. From memory, all the Berthas were entered by Dealer Team Vauxhall (much in the same way way that Ford's would enter many of their cars through dealers such as Dagenham Motors). However, whether it was DTV stumping up the cash for Bill's cars, or it was financed by Vauxhall themselves, I don't know.

Something that has always intrigued me is whether the cars that big Gerry drove so successfully throughout the years would have been so successful in the hands of another driver? Somehow, I doubt it.
Yes, I wonder about other drivers in the car! In modern times Andy Newall has pedalled BB very respectably on occasions when Joe Ward was not driving, but being used to can-am cars probably helped! Agree that DTV in theory was a dealer team but I can imagine VX helping out......
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3926553)   #4745
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Bill Last had a garage in Woodbridge where he sold some TVRs .
When TVR had some money problems , [ nothing new there then , ] he bought the rights to the TVR Trident model & then started making them from the "Factory " in Ipswich & TRIDENT CARS was born .

A friend of mine was chief mechanic there , & he would often turn up at my house on a Saturday morning with the latest thing they had built .

Most of the later cars were based on a Triumph TR6 chassis , with engines being either the straight 6 injected , a Ford V6 , an American 4.7 ltr V8 or other variations .
One day my mate turned up with a 7 Ltr Chrysler Hemi .
It left 2 black lines from wheelspin for several hundred yards up the road , except for a couple of gaps where the 3? speed auto box did a gearchange .
See bauble, something interesting came of the Trident discussion! I forgot they used the 289 Ford engine in some cars......
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3926556)   #4746
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

... and of course the the DTV/Blydenstein workshops were not in Luton but Hertfordshire (Royston, I rather think).
Old 8 Sep 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3926559)   #4747
bauble
Veteran

England
I have owned Morris Minor, Hillman Minx,

What can you pundits make of that?
Old 8 Sep 2019, 09:43 (Ref:3926569)   #4748
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have owned Morris Minor, Hillman Minx,

What can you pundits make of that?

You like cars with at least part of their name starting with the letter M?

Magnum at some point?
Old 8 Sep 2019, 10:45 (Ref:3926573)   #4749
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
You like cars with at least part of their name starting with the letter M?

Magnum at some point?
Mmmmmm!

Many makes, mercifully mostly mundane models Mercs, Mazda, Morris, make me maudlin, morbid, mournful. Might madness mean my mind, mesmerised, meanders, moodily, maybe misguided?
Magnificent, modified Midgets may muster magic moments, mates.

Mr Motors Man.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 10:57 (Ref:3926576)   #4750
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mmmmmm!

Many makes, mercifully mostly mundane models Mercs, Mazda, Morris, make me maudlin, morbid, mournful. Might madness mean my mind, mesmerised, meanders, moodily, maybe misguided?
Magnificent, modified Midgets may muster magic moments, mates.

Mr Motors Man.
Wot no Morgan? Maybe memory maladies manifest.... maybe merely malingering macrophotographic magazine material marauding mysteriously
Closed Thread