Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:02 (Ref:1878514)   #1
DaPix
Rookie

DaPix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi confirms Dan Clarke and Robert Doornbos

At last, the first of hopefully at least 8 driver announcements this week.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57669

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/36313/

Last edited by DaPix; 28 Mar 2007 at 17:05.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:19 (Ref:1878528)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Finally, some driver announcements!!!

Doornbos is no surprise, but I will say the mentioning of Clarke is. I thought Zsolt was going to end up in a seat there...
Old 28 Mar 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1878544)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Finally, some driver announcements!!!

Doornbos is no surprise, but I will say the mentioning of Clarke is. I thought Zsolt was going to end up in a seat there...
I am not overly surprised that Dan Clarke has got a Minardi seat, his performances last year warrant it. With regard to Baumgartner, my understanding is that he will be involved in some sort of test driver capacity, although how much running he'll get remains unclear.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1878584)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who would you take Clarke or Philippe, Junquiera, Servia, Dominguez? I think Clarke will be a great driver at some point, but he's way to irratic. The later have all won races and are consistant.

Does Clarke bring money or backing?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1878598)   #5
DaPix
Rookie

DaPix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that someone other than Zsolt would have the seat just because of the strange way Zsolt's signing was announced. Champ Car doesn't have paid Test and Reserve drivers. So, to me, announcing Zsolt that way meant he wasn't going to have a race day ride. At least not on a full-time basis.

A friend of mine went to the first practice sessions at Sebring, and Dan told him, as they watched the cars on track, that he was a "driver coach" for Minardi. That said to me that he was hanging onto some relationship with the team even if he wasn't testing the DP01.

And Paul Stoddart credits Dan with loyalty in that effort, and makes it seem like that might have been a key factor in his landing the ride.

From, the link below: "As for Dan, I was very impressed that he stayed loyal to Minardi and turned down an opportunity to test with another team."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57670
Old 28 Mar 2007, 19:32 (Ref:1878632)   #6
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Clarke is a racer, I'm happy.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 19:38 (Ref:1878638)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Who would you take Clarke or Philippe, Junquiera, Servia, Dominguez? I think Clarke will be a great driver at some point, but he's way to irratic. The later have all won races and are consistant.

Does Clarke bring money or backing?

last year(and before) was Ticketmaster
Old 28 Mar 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1878671)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This makes perfect sense to me, if you read the announcement carefully.

Baumgartner was named as Test/Reserve Driver, because there will be some conflicting weekends in which Doornbos will have to do his work for Team Red Bull as the test driver....

Thus, Zsolt will step into Minardi's Doornbos seat to drive the car that weekend....

Clarke will be thee all season long.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Mar 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1878728)   #9
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Philippe? He made more progress last year than Philippe did in all his previous seasons. Dan!

Junqueria? Past his sell by date. The Bruno of the past? Absolutely. Current Bruno? No thanks. Dan!

Servia? More consistent but no edge. Ultimately I think Dan is faster. Close, Dan!

Dominguez? Pretty similiar to Dan in a lot of regards. Fast and aggressive. Sometimes too agressive. Has Mario peaked though? Needs a more consistent seat. A toss up IMO.

I think all these drivers would benefit the series in some way, but that's motorsports. There is always lots of talent looking in.
I am happy Dan got the seat. He'll add to the on-track excitement IMO, which is what I am ultimately paying for.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 Mar 2007, 21:37 (Ref:1878731)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What that effectively means is that, having invested a huge amount in the team, Stoddart feels Dan Clarke can lead the team and challenge for the title on his own. What we saw last season makes me doubt that, to be honest.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 05:22 (Ref:1878896)   #11
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Thus, Zsolt will step into Minardi's Doornbos seat to drive the car that weekend....
Man, good to see that ol' "HWNSNBM" will at least get a start!