Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Apr 2019, 17:18 (Ref:3899598)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2019: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 4 of 21

Unfortunately, work commitments mean I will be mostly away until Sunday morning, so can't do a preview.

If anyone wants to do a short one, feel welcome. Fortunately, it coincides with a race without much history to comment on yet. Hopefully, this weekend will add to that anyway.

What are your abiding memories from the Baku circuit?
Old 25 Apr 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3899622)   #2
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was really looking forward to watching this live, as the last two races have been absolute crackers. Unfortunately, it will be highlights on C4, or even catch up from C4.
Old 25 Apr 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3899633)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was really looking forward to watching this live, as the last two races have been absolute crackers. Unfortunately, it will be highlights on C4, or even catch up from C4.
Thanks anyway, Born Racer! The Castle section of the circuit is memorable, as was the collision between the two Red Bulls last year....

At least the C4 highlights are on early Saturday and Sunday evenings, but that will mean adopting the usual news blackout beforehand....
Old 26 Apr 2019, 00:18 (Ref:3899662)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m in two very different time zones over the weekend. Not sure how this will fall with the travelling and sleep. I might resort to F1.tv if I can’t find a telly with live coverage.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 06:57 (Ref:3899706)   #5
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I will be recording the C4 qualifying & race highlights shows as I'm at Donington this weekend for the BTCC meeting. I doubt however if I'll get the chance to watch either however before learning the results, but at least I'll have something to refer back to if anything 'interesting' happens.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3899725)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
My Preview: Road Rage, Mayhem, Overtakes, Battles, Crashes, Safety Cars, Lame excuses, Debris, headrests falling off, tyres exploding, teammates annihilating each other, unexpected podiums.

I think that just about sums up the history of this event, and I for one am very much looking forward to this race.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3899734)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Comedy of errors from the organisers so far. Loose manhole destroys a Williams and the truck recovering it hits a bridge, spilling oil everywhere.

Session will not be restarted because they have to check every drain cover and, presumably, the bridge. So we lose FP1.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:51 (Ref:3899738)   #8
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would be very, very surprised if Williams can get Russell's car fixed. From his and Claire Williams' comments (I didn't see the incident) it sounds as thought they're very concerned indeed about the tub.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3899740)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Of all the teams, it would have to be Williams wouldn't it. They were short of spare parts at the beginning of the season and on the back foot anyway, and now this.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 09:59 (Ref:3899741)   #10
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I would be very, very surprised if Williams can get Russell's car fixed. From his and Claire Williams' comments (I didn't see the incident) it sounds as thought they're very concerned indeed about the tub.
My money would be on it being a write-off and the organisers writing Williams a very large cheque. It was a very big hit, quite scary.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 11:59 (Ref:3899770)   #11
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/stat...385076224?s=19
Old 26 Apr 2019, 12:07 (Ref:3899774)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-x_H3knnWk

YouTube version for the ten seconds that it will be allowed.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3899790)   #13
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Did they weld down the manhole covers in previous years?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3899792)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Did they weld down the manhole covers in previous years?
I thought it was a statutory requirement that manhole covers were welded down for a street race circuit?
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3899797)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bad circuit management in modern F1 to let that draincover work loose
Old 26 Apr 2019, 14:46 (Ref:3899804)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
part of me is impressed that the Williams was able to generate enough downforce to pull up the cover in the first place!
Old 26 Apr 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3899807)   #17
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
part of me is impressed that the Williams was able to generate enough downforce to pull up the cover in the first place!
I didn't/doesn't :-)

Leclerc ran over it with his left hand wheels a few seconds before and loosened/dislodged it. Russell then ran right over it and it destroyed the underside of the car, spraying carbon fibre everywhere.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3899810)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reading that there are over 300 manholes on the track surface!

Richard
Old 26 Apr 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3899847)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dodgems on raceday then.......
Old 26 Apr 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3899861)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Shame for Williams and a real pity for anyone there waiting to see the cars, very lucky no one was hurt.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3899873)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In future, maybe they should weld them.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 22:29 (Ref:3899883)   #22
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mr. Russell is lucky he didn't lose his "manhood!"
Old 26 Apr 2019, 22:39 (Ref:3899885)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall the same thing happened many years ago but can't remember where, when or to whom. Probably a street course somewhere.
I think they welded all the covers in place prior to the race.
Old 26 Apr 2019, 22:46 (Ref:3899886)   #24
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Most recently it was Grosjean at Sepang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRTlGvdwIr8
Old 26 Apr 2019, 22:53 (Ref:3899887)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Most recently it was Grosjean at Sepang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRTlGvdwIr8
It was a lose drain cover, which was welded after the accident.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...grosjean-crash