Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 2021, 17:02 (Ref:4050908)   #301
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My bad. I forgot the sarcasm smiley there. My post was a deliberate absurdity.
Old 10 May 2021, 17:08 (Ref:4050910)   #302
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't believe yew.
Old 10 May 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4050911)   #303
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mazepin? Like Pastor Maldonado, but without the talent.
Old 10 May 2021, 21:06 (Ref:4050934)   #304
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Honest question, given that they are a parts buying team, how much of a march can they actually get on any following season?

Would a top team, one that is also presumably playing it close to the chest in order to steal a march for themselves.
Stealing a March might actually make the team more competitive. The 821 was never fully developed.
Old 10 May 2021, 23:37 (Ref:4050955)   #305
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Stealing a March might actually make the team more competitive. The 821 was never fully developed.
Old 11 May 2021, 09:29 (Ref:4050997)   #306
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Outstanding quote from a post race interview.

The Haas driver said he is still learning how to respond to F1’s blue flags. “I was dealing with these blue flag in Imola for the first time in my life,” he explained. “I previously never had a blue flag on a consistent basis.

“So it’s a matter of learning just the same as driving. And it took me about five, seven years to learn proper driving and it’s going to take me, hopefully, a few race weekends only to learn blue flags.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/11/...nd-up-11-05-4/
Old 11 May 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4051001)   #307
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's utterly barmy.....
Old 11 May 2021, 10:19 (Ref:4051006)   #308
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How do you get a superlicence if you don't know how to behave when flags (of any colour) are waved. Even amateurs are required to know what to do and if they fail to obey they are disqualified at best and banned at worst.
Old 11 May 2021, 10:43 (Ref:4051008)   #309
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
How do you get a superlicence if you don't know how to behave when flags (of any colour) are waved. Even amateurs are required to know what to do and if they fail to obey they are disqualified at best and banned at worst.
Old 11 May 2021, 11:23 (Ref:4051017)   #310
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I might be wrong - but is it not the case that Blue Flags are used in a subtly different way in F1 to other series'?

i.e. - in some regulations, the blue flag is not a mandatory requirement, but a warning of an approaching faster car?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that F1 is very specific in that it is only shown to a car about to be lapped, and has the 3-flag count system, which is not used outside of F1?
Old 11 May 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4051021)   #311
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its more then just blue flags though as he has been impeding drivers in pratice and quali.

The other drivers also believe he lacks quality.

https://streamable.com/p0k7r5

Last edited by chillibowl; 11 May 2021 at 12:14. Reason: Added video link of drivers yelling at NM.
Old 11 May 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4051038)   #312
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I might be wrong - but is it not the case that Blue Flags are used in a subtly different way in F1 to other series'?

i.e. - in some regulations, the blue flag is not a mandatory requirement, but a warning of an approaching faster car?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that F1 is very specific in that it is only shown to a car about to be lapped, and has the 3-flag count system, which is not used outside of F1?

MSUK Year Book , known as the Blue Book, is slightly confusing in this respect. It says that a stationary blue flag will be shown to a car that is about to be lapped, but the flag will be waved if the faster car wants to pass. However, in another segment, it just says that the stationary flag will be shown if a car is following closely, and waved if it is trying to pass - no mention of being lapped.

What I can say from 50 years ago, and I don't know if it still happens, is that it was quite common at the drivers' briefing that the competitors would be told to respect other drivers and to move out of the way when another car was obviously much quicker than you; it required drivers to use common sense and therefore not to impede others. We were also told about when to yield a corner to a car attempting to overtake; that was at the point when the car behind had it's front wheels level with the front car's rear wheels.

The Blue Book also says that drivers ignoring the flags will be reported to race control, but doesn't appear to mention the 3 flag rule that applies to F1.
Old 11 May 2021, 12:14 (Ref:4051040)   #313
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He seems to have taken a lesson from the Rene Arnoux and Olivier Grouilard school of thinking mirrors are only there for your own reflection
Old 11 May 2021, 12:23 (Ref:4051044)   #314
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Its more then just blue flags though as he has been impeding drivers in pratice and quali.

The other drivers also believe he lacks quality.

https://streamable.com/p0k7r5

That was hilariously savage! Notice Kimi was very keen to get in front of him. And Stroll doing a DC gesture there!
Old 11 May 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4051072)   #315
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
haha savage is a good word for it!
Old 11 May 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4051077)   #316
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That was hilariously savage! Notice Kimi was very keen to get in front of him. And Stroll doing a DC gesture there!
I think Stroll may be happy he is no longer the primary poster child for "Rich Dad buys him an F1 drive". It also helps that Stroll IMHO has massively improved since his entry into the sport. Question is... will Mazepin do the same? Or has he reached his level of incompetence?

Richard
Old 11 May 2021, 15:06 (Ref:4051079)   #317
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
latifi also not very happy...oh how theses billionaire boys club members fight!

in another video courtesy of reddit, Mick (not quite the same kind of billionaire boys club member as the others but his dad's career earnings potentially put him over 1B) showing love to his mechanics post race.

https://streamable.com/nplr55

i like to see this.
Old 11 May 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4051096)   #318
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think Stroll may be happy he is no longer the primary poster child for "Rich Dad buys him an F1 drive". It also helps that Stroll IMHO has massively improved since his entry into the sport. Question is... will Mazepin do the same? Or has he reached his level of incompetence?

Richard

Stroll did at least get a podium in his first year and didn’t often get in other’s people way in practice/qualifying/being lapped if at all.

My brother says Mazepin reminds him of Diniz and I can certainly see the similarities, especially considering both used heavy backing to get into F1. And to be fair Diniz looked out of his depth in F1 to begin, but he improved to be competent enough, so we’ll see on Mazepin. Still, if only Illiot had the backing....
Old 11 May 2021, 18:17 (Ref:4051115)   #319
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Diniz outqualified Damon Hill around Spa. Mazepin is no Diniz - not yet anyway.
Old 12 May 2021, 05:36 (Ref:4051178)   #320
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Looking at Mazepin's record on Wiki, I noticed he had 2 poles, better than I expected, then looked down to the notes!

0 poles achieved during qualifying, and 2 poles given as a result of the reverse grid in the sprint race

That is not a pole!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Mazepin

When did starting from pole on a reverse grid race qualify as qualifying on pole?! The data system needs a bit of attention.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4051196)   #321
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Diniz wasn't exactly stellar in the early stages of his career. Mazepin has every opportunity to develop as he gains mileage and experience. This is what usually happens - drivers like Diniz, Petrov, Latifi et cetera that hang around for a couple of years and that you really don't miss when they're gone. For Mazepin I'd say this is a lot more likely than him going the way of Yuji Ide.
Old 12 May 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4051197)   #322
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Looking at Mazepin's record on Wiki, I noticed he had 2 poles, better than I expected, then looked down to the notes!

0 poles achieved during qualifying, and 2 poles given as a result of the reverse grid in the sprint race

That is not a pole!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Mazepin

When did starting from pole on a reverse grid race qualify as qualifying on pole?! The data system needs a bit of attention.
It's Wikipedia. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 May 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4051214)   #323
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's Wikipedia. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
It can be quite entertaining though at times
Old 12 May 2021, 18:21 (Ref:4051291)   #324
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
You shouldn't believe everything you read.
Cant believe this…
Old 14 May 2021, 01:02 (Ref:4051565)   #325
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Diniz wasn't exactly stellar in the early stages of his career. Mazepin has every opportunity to develop as he gains mileage and experience. This is what usually happens - drivers like Diniz, Petrov, Latifi et cetera that hang around for a couple of years and that you really don't miss when they're gone. For Mazepin I'd say this is a lot more likely than him going the way of Yuji Ide.
As a comparison, Max Chilton was someone that got some derision for his lack of pace in a poor car. Bianchi was a much higher rated driver than Mick is, and even Chilton wasn't finishing races a minute behind his teammate. Now Mick is good and will have a good career, but I'm not sure there are a whole lot yet putting him in the future star status Bianchi was.

Mazepin is nowhere near it and is totally pants. He's no Ide or Inoue, granted. More of an Alex Yoong.