Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the greatest F1 driver?
Lewis Hamilton 22 22.00%
Michael Schumacher 11 11.00%
Juan Manuel Fangio 6 6.00%
Alain Prost 7 7.00%
Ayrton Senna 22 22.00%
Jackie Stewart 0 0%
Jim Clark 17 17.00%
Alberto Ascari 0 0%
Fernando Alonso 1 1.00%
Niki Lauda 3 3.00%
Stirling Moss 2 2.00%
Sebastian Vettel 0 0%
Nigel Mansell 1 1.00%
Nelson Piquet 0 0%
James Hunt 0 0%
Mika Hakkinen 0 0%
Giles Villeneuve 2 2.00%
Max Verstappen 0 0%
Nico Rosberg 0 0%
Jack Brabham 4 4.00%
Carlos Reutemann 0 0%
Jochen Rindt 0 0%
Ronnie Peterson 1 1.00%
Kimi Raikkonen 1 1.00%
Graham Hill 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Oct 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4076527)   #476
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Surely one needs a top level documentary running on one of the major streaming sites to be considered a GOAT.

Netflix now has a Schumi one and a Fangio one they put out last year i think. Amazon prime has the rights to Senna film now plus have a pretty fun Alonso series.

This is the future. Without a clear consensus number 1 answer, the drivers whose stories best fill the current medium of choice with content will be the future king.

Might seem like im joking but this is how history is manufactured.

Until the next program maker comes along, with their take.
Old 1 Oct 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4076537)   #477
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Until the next program maker comes along, with their take.
right!

given this rant i am on, i am a bit surprised that Merc and LH haven't yet authorized production on their own LH GOAT doc or that LH hasent done a partnership with one of the streamers yet (maybe he has i dont actually know).

lots of features over the years by SKY of course but that is limited in distribution and/or perhaps LH is waiting until his story has that 8th title to it or career is over and then do something more complete.

in this day an age though, i feel like the LH camp is missing a trick by not at least doing a year in the life type series similar to what Prime is currently doing with Alonso.

there was a basketball podcast where a player was commenting that a pro athlete who doesn't take ownership of this space and put out their own narrative that they can control (and monetize) that it leave the door open for someone else to come in and do it without remuneration.

so could another way to look at that would be to say that it is up to a driver or their estate to make the case for their GOAT status? surely there is too much money and status to be made for them to leave it up to the fans or writers doing an autosport list?

Last edited by chillibowl; 1 Oct 2021 at 15:18. Reason: spelling
Old 2 Oct 2021, 05:58 (Ref:4076628)   #478
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Hamilton will be regarded the greatest in F1, but I’m the best driver on this forum.
Old 2 Oct 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4076676)   #479
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Hamilton will be regarded the greatest in F1, but I’m the best driver on this forum.
I didn't know you played golf.......
Old 2 Oct 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4076678)   #480
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 3 Oct 2021, 05:28 (Ref:4076807)   #481
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
The Melbourne Storm are losers.
Old 3 Oct 2021, 13:53 (Ref:4076828)   #482
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I see we're back to the usual quality debate with FAS33 again
Old 5 Oct 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4076995)   #483
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I didn't know you played golf.......
I see what you did there my man. One day I’ll teach you too.
Old 5 Oct 2021, 08:34 (Ref:4077022)   #484
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I see what you did there my man. One day I’ll teach you too.
Golf? Nah, I'm OK there.....
Old 5 Oct 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4077070)   #485
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sounds like you've played golf enough Ayse. Am I right?
Old 5 Oct 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4077114)   #486
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Actually, not really. A shoulder injury has made it a bit tricky over the last year or so....
Old 5 Oct 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4077115)   #487
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As my late grandfather was fond of saying, Golf ruins a good walk.
Old 6 Oct 2021, 21:43 (Ref:4077252)   #488
Beau2
Racer

Beau2 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can someone add Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods to the poll?
Old 7 Oct 2021, 07:39 (Ref:4077295)   #489
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well we've already got Our Nige on the poll.....
Old 21 Nov 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4084722)   #490
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Earlier on this thread, we had a discussion about Senna vs Prost in Japan 1989, and I said it was a racing incident. I have just realised that the Stroll/Tsunoda incident in Brazil was almost identical. Tsunoda and Senna dive from a long way back, Stroll and Prost turn into the corner and into the other driver. Here, Tsunoda was penalised, and I think that is about right, but I now think that is perhaps inconsistent with my previous view on the McLaren drivers. Perhaps Senna was more alongside Prost than Tsunoda against Stroll, but if he was it was only by a tiny amount. I probably have to reconsider one of those two opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPI5KDSCgAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zc61isHXYA
Old 21 Nov 2021, 13:34 (Ref:4084763)   #491
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Except that Prost's turn-in was actually prior to the normal turn in point - it's clear from the video that I've watched countless times. Stroll/Tsunoda was plain clumsy, whereas Prost's move on Senna was 100% 'Not this time Ayrton' deliberate.
Old 21 Nov 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4084819)   #492
S griffin
Veteran

I like Rosberg’s quote. “You can tell Prost never did a stunt like that before, because he did it so badly!”
Old 22 Nov 2021, 10:18 (Ref:4084926)   #493
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I like Rosberg’s quote. “You can tell Prost never did a stunt like that before, because he did it so badly!”
Spot on.
Old 22 Nov 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4085003)   #494
S griffin
Veteran

Tbh I think the jury will always be out on that incident. Not like Suzuka 90 or Jerez 97, those were more clear cut over the blame
Old 22 Nov 2021, 19:08 (Ref:4085017)   #495
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not to me, as clear cut as they get as far as I'm concerned.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 11:14 (Ref:4085256)   #496
S griffin
Veteran

If Prost had driven into Senna like Schumi did to Villeneuve, i.e. after he had been passed, then the blame would have been more clear. IMO, I’m more inclined to go with those that just call it ‘the unstoppable force meets the immovable object’
Old 24 Nov 2021, 12:25 (Ref:4085274)   #497
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Maybe. I stand (as I always have) on what I believe is a very clear interpretation of what happened. Having mellowed a little over the years, I understand and don't really blame Alain for doing what he did though.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 13:31 (Ref:4085285)   #498
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, in some ways, it’s like this year, with Hamilton deciding to be a bit more firm with Max, having had a few close shaves earlier in the year
Old 24 Nov 2021, 14:01 (Ref:4085296)   #499
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, in some ways, it’s like this year, with Hamilton deciding to be a bit more firm with Max, having had a few close shaves earlier in the year
Interestingly, Hamilton is commenting that he is 'backing out' more.

"So you always have to be ready to avoid a collision at all costs, [even] if it means going wide, because you want to see the end of the race, right? If you're stubborn and you hold your ground, you're going to crash. So that's what I've just tried to do. I've tried to make sure I avoid the collision. And I think I've been pretty decent at it in most scenarios. You can't always get it perfect."

On the first laps of the Emilia-Romagna, Spanish and Italian Grands Prix, Hamilton took avoiding action, choosing to back out of a situation when he felt "it just wasn't going to work out, but obviously he nearly ran us out of road," as he puts it now.

Verstappen, by contrast, has become known for never backing down, even in situations when other drivers might have.

At the recent Sao Paulo Grand Prix, this approach led to controversy when he ran Hamilton off the track in a way some drivers believed was not allowed. The incident was not investigated by stewards - and that led to a lengthy discussion among the drivers at the last race in Qatar as they sought clarity on the guidelines for acceptable racing.

But there have been times, too, when Hamilton has not given way. They have collided twice - at the British and Italian Grands Prix. Hamilton was penalised for the first one; Verstappen for the second.

Personally - I think it has been a smart approach by Hamilton. At the moment, the perceived intent is that Max will not cede in any circumstance, and that appears to have been backed up on track.
Hamilton on the other hand - does Max know if he'll back out or not?
I think this is evidenced by your comment (not an attack on you making that observation, but a comment on it). You (and I'm sure many others) think Hamilton is being more firm with Max - others feel that he (LH) may be backing out.

If that confusion exists - it puts doubt in the minds of other drivers and means they have a challenge in deciding how to respond.
Old 24 Nov 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4085314)   #500
S griffin
Veteran

The incidents at Silverstone and Monza were bound to happen. There was going to be a time when neither gave way and we could see it again happen in the last two races