Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Feb 2013, 02:23 (Ref:3202675)   #51
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is there enough faster cars to make a race?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3202676)   #52
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
he has alot more experience than you and also watched all the race.

Why do we need cars that are seperated by 40 seconds a lap?
Your solution is to a problem that doesn't exist. Otherwise supercars wouldn't need a safety car at all, cause they all travel at the same speed.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 02:38 (Ref:3202679)   #53
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Your solution is to a problem that doesn't exist. Otherwise supercars wouldn't need a safety car at all, cause they all travel at the same speed.
Sure theres a problem, 3 hours of safety cars. 1 in every 4 minutes

you didnt answer the question though?

why do we need cars that are seperated by 40 seconds?

and yes Sweedish Brick, we do, it we have have excluded class D and E, we would still have over 40 cars. more than in many of the WEC rounds Stealthy mentioned
Old 11 Feb 2013, 03:02 (Ref:3202683)   #54
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Sure theres a problem, 3 hours of safety cars. 1 in every 4 minutes

you didnt answer the question though?

why do we need cars that are seperated by 40 seconds?

and yes Sweedish Brick, we do, it we have have excluded class D and E, we would still have over 40 cars. more than in many of the WEC rounds Stealthy mentioned
You didn't answer mine. If we remove the slow cars, will that get rid of the safety cars. Hint, there's only one answer
Old 11 Feb 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3202686)   #55
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
You didn't answer mine. If we remove the slow cars, will that get rid of the safety cars. Hint, there's only one answer
you haven't asked a question until now. So how could i have answered one

No one on here is saying it was anything to do with the slow cars. everyone is saying its about the difference in speed 40 seconds a lap at Bathurst.

We will always have SC's its the nature of motorsport. But that doesn't mean we cant take steps to reduce them.

Your comment is the same as we will always have people dying in car crashes, therefore we shouldn't bother with road safety.

Now i have answered yours

for the 3rd time - why do we need cars that are separated by 40 seconds?
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3202692)   #56
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
you haven't asked a question until now. So how could i have answered one

No one on here is saying it was anything to do with the slow cars. everyone is saying its about the difference in speed 40 seconds a lap at Bathurst.
They're the same thing...................................

Quote:
We will always have SC's its the nature of motorsport. But that doesn't mean we cant take steps to reduce them.
Slow taffic has always been apart of sports cars, and is clearly not the reason for the safety cars as some are stating.

Quote:
Your comment is the same as we will always have people dying in car crashes, therefore we shouldn't bother with road safety.

Now i have answered yours
I slightly agree. The current 'road safety' steps are a joke. Such as limiting young peoples driving, or making it longer before they can get their license, and speed camera's etc. Less people would die if they did something about the real problem (people who have been on the road 40 years and dont know the current rules)

Quote:
for the 3rd time - why do we need cars that are separated by 40 seconds?
Thats what sports car racing is all about. If you take it out, it'll just be as bland (in some peoples here opinions) as a V8SC race.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:12 (Ref:3202693)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

Thats what sports car racing is all about. If you take it out, it'll just be as bland (in some peoples here opinions) as a V8SC race.
Thats not an asnwer and the truth be told is probably incorrect

Why 40, why not 20, which is much more in line with say WEC. although most of the rounds in WEC have smaller grid sizers.

LE Mans for instance is a bout ten seconds for every minute of track (fastest qualifyer) Bathurst was 20 seconds for every minute of track
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:16 (Ref:3202696)   #58
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Thats not an asnwer and the truth be told is probably incorrect

Why 40, why not 20, which is much more in line with say WEC
Because 20 cars is boring. Why not 40, or 60? Yet to hear a valid reason of why thats a bad thing. WEC has its moments, but there are usually more than 20 cars, but theres always a mix of classes, making it have 4 chances of exciting lead battles, as opposed to one in a single make category like V8s
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:20 (Ref:3202697)   #59
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Because 20 cars is boring. Why not 40, or 60? Yet to hear a valid reason of why thats a bad thing. WEC has its moments, but there are usually more than 20 cars, but theres always a mix of classes, making it have 4 chances of exciting lead battles, as opposed to one in a single make category like V8s
Not cars, seconds, same as what we have been talking about

i have also edited previous post

many of the classes on the weekend, were seperated by laps, there was no battle. it was about who would fall of the track. Many also had only 2 or 3 cars in it. hardly inspiring event for the deepest purist
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:25 (Ref:3202698)   #60
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not cars, seconds, same as what we have been talking about

i have also edited previous post

many of the classes on the weekend, were seperated by laps, there was no battle. it was about who would fall of the track. Many also had only 2 or 3 cars in it. hardly inspiring event for the deepest purist
The cars i was following, were seperated by laps because of the safety cars. Which were caused by faster cars not being able to drive properly (although bowe is known for his brain fade moments)
Old 11 Feb 2013, 04:50 (Ref:3202701)   #61
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
The cars i was following, were seperated by laps because of the safety cars. Which were caused by faster cars not being able to drive properly (although bowe is known for his brain fade moments)
Not an answer

you still haven t explained why you want 40 second a lap differences. why you wouldnt be happy with 20 secs

you quote examples that have occurred because of speed differential so they dont really support your case, although i am basing this on what i have read else where because you havent given examples here, just vague references
Old 11 Feb 2013, 06:06 (Ref:3202716)   #62
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not an answer

you still haven t explained why you want 40 second a lap differences. why you wouldnt be happy with 20 secs

you quote examples that have occurred because of speed differential so they dont really support your case, although i am basing this on what i have read else where because you havent given examples here, just vague references
I want it because thats how it currently is, and it works for me (and seems to work for alot of other people). The only people who it doesn't seem to work for, are the Supercar lovers who have bashed GT racing since day dot.

I'm all for fixing something that is broken, but the current mentality seems to be 'fix it til it is broken' and i'll never agree with that.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 07:49 (Ref:3202753)   #63
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
The categories are different to last year which was different to the year before (and i would expect be different next year) you might want to get used to it changing.

I haven't bashed GT racing since day dot, i watched the race yesterday and enjoyed it.

Are you suggesting the guy from Radio LeMans is a Supercar lover who has bashed GT racing since day dot?

it doesn't work for me and a number of others some of who were at the race yesterday.

So your argument is poor and not based on any facts or real understanding.

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Feb 2013 at 07:54.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3202973)   #64
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
it doesn't work for me and a number of others some of who were at the race yesterday.

So your argument is poor and not based on any facts or real understanding.
Something isn't wrong just because it doesn't suit you, or right because it does (or anyone else, for that matter).

Personally I like Endurance Spors/GT races because of the class structure, the races within the race and the fact that part of the skill is getting through/allowing through the traffic without it affecting your own race. You clearly don't, and that's fine, but it doesn't make it wrong. I find single-make saloons fairly dull on the whole, and that has it's own method of generating safety cars.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 21:06 (Ref:3203082)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Something isn't wrong just because it doesn't suit you, or right because it does (or anyone else, for that matter).

Personally I like Endurance Spors/GT races because of the class structure, the races within the race and the fact that part of the skill is getting through/allowing through the traffic without it affecting your own race. You clearly don't, and that's fine, but it doesn't make it wrong. I find single-make saloons fairly dull on the whole, and that has it's own method of generating safety cars.

That is total dribble and in no way reflects what i have said.
you should be ashamed
Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:05 (Ref:3203108)   #66
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That is total dribble and in no way reflects what i have said.
you should be ashamed
Peck, i think you will find that Woolley is talking about more than just this post or thread and he is spot on.
You raise good points occassionaly, however you don't seem to respect anyone else's view, but seem pretty keen on telling them that they are wrong because they don't see it as you do.
Your signature has you wanting us to believe that this forum is like a pub chat between mates, however i am sure most of our mates would get pretty p....d off with us if we kept telling them that they were wrong because they didn't see it like we did.
Try showing others a little more respect towards peoples views.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3203118)   #67
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Peck, i think you will find that Woolley is talking about more than just this post or thread and he is spot on.
You raise good points occassionaly, however you don't seem to respect anyone else's view, but seem pretty keen on telling them that they are wrong because they don't see it as you do.
Your signature has you wanting us to believe that this forum is like a pub chat between mates, however i am sure most of our mates would get pretty p....d off with us if we kept telling them that they were wrong because they didn't see it like we did.
Try showing others a little more respect towards peoples views.
Let me see Stealthy says "The only people who it doesn't seem to work for, are the Supercar lovers who have bashed GT racing since day dot."

I quote the radio LeMans commentator. Therfore stealthys argument is Wrong

At the pub i would call BS, but the auto sensors dont let me says it

Woolley tells me i want one one class racing. I have never said that and i dont want it. Therfore Woolley is wrong also.

Its not hard.

I respect others view, but when the say something that is BS. I will call them. just like you should call me on it
Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3203124)   #68
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Let me see Stealthy says "The only people who it doesn't seem to work for, are the Supercar lovers who have bashed GT racing since day dot."

I quote the radio LeMans commentator. Therfore stealthys argument is Wrong

At the pub i would call BS, but the auto sensors dont let me says it

Woolley tells me i want one one class racing. I have never said that and i dont want it. Therfore Woolley is wrong also.

Its not hard.

I respect others view, but when the say something that is BS. I will call them. just like you should call me on it
As i said Peck, it's not just this thread.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3203129)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
As i said Peck, it's not just this thread.
I heard you.

If a person doesnt want to be wrong, then they shouldnt say stupid things. In any thread.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3203131)   #70
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I most definitely didn't. I said:

Quote:
Something isn't wrong just because it doesn't suit you, or right because it does (or anyone else, for that matter)
Quote:
Personally I like Endurance Spors/GT races because of the class structure
Quote:
I find single-make saloons fairly dull on the whole, and that has it's own method of generating safety cars
If you're going to tell me I'm wrong, then you need to read the post considerably more carefully than you did. Unless you think I'm wrong when I say that I like endurance races, that I don't generally like one make or that this forum is a discussion place, not a lecture theatre.

You are fully entitled to your opinions, and you are fully entitled to voice them You are not entitled to tell me my opinions are wrong, only that you disagree with them as I do yours on this occasion. You are also not entitled to tell me that I should be ashamed of them or that I said something which I clearly and very carefully didn't.
Old 11 Feb 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3203152)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I most definitely didn't. I said:

If you're going to tell me I'm wrong, then you need to read the post considerably more carefully than you did. Unless you think I'm wrong when I say that I like endurance races, that I don't generally like one make or that this forum is a discussion place, not a lecture theatre.

You are fully entitled to your opinions, and you are fully entitled to voice them You are not entitled to tell me my opinions are wrong, only that you disagree with them as I do yours on this occasion. You are also not entitled to tell me that I should be ashamed of them or that I said something which I clearly and very carefully didn't.
Once again Woolley, you are wrong. and i can tell you that, becaus its not your opinion i am saying is wrong, its that the facts you are saying that are wrong.and you should be ashamed, your making things up

let me re-quote what you just left out (why would you leave it out?) you should be ashamed for that also

Quote:
Personally I like Endurance Spors/GT races because of the class structure, the races within the race and the fact that part of the skill is getting through/allowing through the traffic without it affecting your own race. You clearly don't, and that's fine, but it doesn't make it wrong.
I like class racing, have never said i dont anywhere. and definatly not in this thread
Old 11 Feb 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3203155)   #72
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much that the last 2 pages were a bunch of largely unnecessary twaddle I was heartened by the fact that stealthy can be as obtuse as the majority of posters over in the kiwi threads.
Grown men and handbags - not just a kiwi phenomenon :-)
Mind you, we don't know what your passport says either...

Just a thought about parity. Hands up all those who enjoyed 6 or so years of Ferrari f1 domination?
No parity there but lots and lots of euros spent.

Call me cynical but to get the variety you all are hankering for would require a bunch of gentleman drivers with all their mateys helping out (instant unreliability!), a marble draw grid, 180% lap time spread and changeable weather.
Sort of like a club day then...
Old 12 Feb 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3203182)   #73
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
Just a thought about parity. Hands up all those who enjoyed 6 or so years of Ferrari f1 domination?
I did! I am a huge Ferrari fan and was also an ardent Schumi fan - I would have happily seen him win every race

But whilst his success made all of Italy and a lot of Germany happy, there were lots of English people who were not. The situation we had for the first two-thirds of last year was pretty cool, Red Bull got a bit dominant again in the end. Can't keep a great designer (like Newey) down for too long, eh?

Speaking of great designs (and well off-topic), how's that Pagani Huayra!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3203184)   #74
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post

Call me cynical but to get the variety you all are hankering for would require a bunch of gentleman drivers with all their mateys helping out (instant unreliability!), a marble draw grid, 180% lap time spread and changeable weather...
And, race results adjusted to take into account the slow laps traveled behind the Safety car
Old 12 Feb 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3203190)   #75
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
And, race results adjusted to take into account the slow laps traveled behind the Safety car
IMHO the Safety Car problems recently seen at Bathurst are largely track related, it's long and narrow and steep and hard to station large numbers of emergency vehicles around. That aspect needs sorting but I doubt that council would have the funds on their own.