Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1437960)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magny Cours

I know a lot of people have done changes to the Magny Cours track, but I have realized I have never posted one. First thing I did was move the pit complex and start/finish line to in between Estoril, which no longer exists in its current form, and just after Golf. The track still runs clockwise. The first change to the track is that Adelaide has been moved closer to Golf, and the track between Adelaide and Nurburgring has been straightend. I also "straightened out" 180 Degrees in order to be able to fit the paddock between the two straights. The next change isn't until the new Lycee. Lycee was the final chicane, but since I removed it, it is now the hairpin, which was tightened. Before Lycee, I tightened the preceeding corner, but now that I look at it, the original track would have looked better. Grand Courbe has been made longer, and is now followed by a right-handed hairpin. The final corner is reminiscent(sp?) of the final corner at Catalunya. I have also named the corner "Behra," which is named after Jean Behra, who was the person the original track was named after.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Magny Cours.gif  
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:02 (Ref:1438330)   #2
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's ok but in getting rid of Estoril you have got rid of one of the few good corners on the track. Also I think that on that scale Behra would be a lot tighter than the final corner at Catalunya & would be more like the tightness on Ste Devote at Monaco.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 20 Oct 2005, 23:13 (Ref:1439257)   #3
f1freak
Racer

Australia
Sydney
f1freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon it looks good as a stand alone circuit... but not a good edit of Magny-Cours...
Old 24 Oct 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1441972)   #4
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Magny-Cours isn't a bad track, IMO, it's just in the middle of *******' nowhere. And if you'd decide to change it, I'm afraid just altering a few corners won't do. You'd have to completely overhaul the track.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1442212)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, Magny-Cours isn't really a good circuit. One of the worst in F1 -i.e. if it went away, I wouldn't be too bothered!

PAUL
Old 24 Oct 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1442437)   #6
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that Magny Cours has to be changed, but i don't really agree in your edit . In fact, you might have made it even worse...
Old 24 Oct 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1442451)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I deleted the message, I didn't edit it! The one above that was an automated website edit, nothing to do with me (see FAQs about words/asterisks).

Anyway, back to thread
Old 24 Oct 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1442632)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think it could be better with a straight after the right hander following the 180 in the infield. Then, have a long left curve into a 90, another straight, and a fast right hand curve leading onto the current course just before the 180 that exits the infield. Also, they really should get rid of that chicane just before start/finish.

The alternates that I like reasonably well would be Paul Ricard (the long course used in the 70s and early to mid 80s), Le Mans (endurance circuit), or (yeah, not gonna happen) Reims or Rouen. I just haven't particularly liked Magny Cours or Dijon Prenois. Clermont Ferrand was alright. I simply haven't been that impressed with most of the newer circuits in France.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 11:10 (Ref:1442924)   #9
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Also, they really should get rid of that chicane just before start/finish.
True. There's no purpose whatsoever for that chicane other than to further slow the cars down on the main straight. So it sucks.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 14:08 (Ref:1445114)   #10
Jam35
Rookie

Wales
Caerdydd
Jam35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigson
True. There's no purpose whatsoever for that chicane other than to further slow the cars down on the main straight. So it sucks.
Then there's that other ghastly chicane wrecking the run into 180°, and another wrecking the run into Château d'Eau.

Magny Cours probably needs a semi-total blast. The section from the beginning of the start/finish straight to the exit of Adelaide is great. The other half of the track, despite being made up of corners that would work on their own, really doesn't work at all.

All of which gives me an idea - here's half a Magny Cours. What would everyone here put as the other half given this nice blank canvas?
Attached Thumbnails
magnybase.PNG  
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1445235)   #11
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Hmm... interesting. I might have a go a little bit later on.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1445270)   #12
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
That first part of the track is pretty good, indeed. However, the other part of the track isn't all that bad.

I think the problem is dat the two possible overtaking spots -- 180 and that unnamed right-hander right after Imola -- are preceded by two quick right-left sweepers. They on themselves aren't bad corners, but they're simply in the wrong spot.

The first of those turns, Nürburgring, could be moved way back and more towards Adelaide. The second, Imola, we might be better of without, because there doesn't appear to be any room to move it.

By the way, I also made the run towards that anonymous right-hander a bit shorter. There's not enough room for run-off, I think, with the cars aproaching the turn much faster on that straight.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1445304)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The unnamed right hander is chateau d'eau IIRC.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1445383)   #14
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
D'oh! Of course. I forgot. It didn't have a name on the Racingcircuits.net map.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1445410)   #15
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Here it is with a Google map underneath.

By the way, if you try to paste the Racingcircuits.net map onto the Google map, it doesn't fit. Probably has something to do with the angle of the Google satellites or something.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1446128)   #16
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's pretty much what i'd do too..